Thread: IS IT JUST ME

IS IT JUST ME

I have a 2012 Z119 with a mystery leak. I have removed and resealed the plug and all the other thru hull fittings and I still have a leak. I am thinking it's a cracked fitting in the bilge area. Ranger has the worst plumbing that I have ever seen. Looks like a jumbled up mess. I am going to have to remove it piece by piece to find out where the leak is, what a pain.
    Bill

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Check livewell hoses and valve controller body. External water pressure pushes into these areas even when there is no visible water in the livewell. Are you just seeing water in the bilge for the first time in years, or has this water always been present? Have you eliminated all other possible sources of water intrusion, such as coming through the rigging hole in the stern when backing off the trailer or coming off plane? How much water is coming in, and how quickly? Have you launched the boat with the panel above the bilge area removed, then observed with a good flashlight to see if there is a visible leak? If nothing visible, try feeling the underside of all fittings to see whether they are wet, maybe a slow leak that is not visible. The routing of hoses has nothing to do with whether they leak or don’t. But to troubleshoot where water might be entering, the best place to start is with a completely dry bilge area, backing carefully into the water, then observing and checking all possible areas while the boat is motionless.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stratoblaster View Post
    I have a 2012 Z119 with a mystery leak. I have removed and resealed the plug and all the other thru hull fittings and I still have a leak. I am thinking it's a cracked fitting in the bilge area. Ranger has the worst plumbing that I have ever seen. Looks like a jumbled up mess. I am going to have to remove it piece by piece to find out where the leak is, what a pain.
    Bill
    is this happening every time or just some times? I noticed on some occasions I have water in the bilge area and it was not a rainy day. Nothing seemed to be leaking so I was stumped. Then I noticed one trip I launched my rig solo in a very steep ramp. The water was over the bilge/live well pump out fitting. When I finally launched boat and motored away my auto bilge came on. So what was happing, water was coming in through the fitting on the transom and standing in bilge area. I also noticed this happens when I plow in reverse, water flows back into bilge as
    well as back in the livewell. So I don’t have a leak, just characteristics of the boat.

4. Member
    Check transom bolts

It happens every time.I keep my boat on a covered lift so it's not getting in when I launch. I have even put stoppers in the pump out and bilge pump holes on the back gunnel, still get water. I am thinking I have a split fitting from some water left in it and it froze. I also have been careful about sudden slow downs and stops and use throttle management to prevent water coming over the back.
    I'll find it but it's going to be a PITA!
    Bill

One other thing, I have resealed the inspection plate in the transome well.

7. Member
    I had a boat that the speedometer hose had a hole in it. It only leaked when it was moving.

8. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    When you mention stoppering the pump out and bilge pump holes, another hole you haven’t mentioned covering is the inlet hole for the livewell. As you mention, it’s very possible that water has frozen in that line [or those other lines] at some time and that you have a leaking hose, fitting, or valve body. Wouldn’t take too much residual water in one of those areas to cause a problem if it froze.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

9. Member
    what about the hose that connects the splash well drain to the drain opening on the bottom side of the transom?
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

10. Member
    My last mystery leak was from a frozen and expanded livewell control valve. Very difficult to find until I removed it...

11. Member
    I’d guess livewell pump body.

12. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    How much water is coming in?

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

Does your Ice Chest drain into the bilge ?
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

If it doesn’t set off the auto bilge...it’s not enough to worry about. I haven’t been in a bass boat that doesn’t drain some water at the end of the day.

Fill the live wells while on the trailer. Add some food coloring to make that water show up. Take the boat/trailer for a ride on the road. Then look for the colored water. If nothing plug the livewell drains and drain the wells. If that colored water does not show up in the bilge area you have at least eliminated the livewell system.

16. Member
    have you checked the rub rail screws

17. Member
    Rub rail screws. I have the same year and boat. I found some of the screws are backed out and the silicone is sealant is detached. It was leaking a bit.