Idle temp keeps slowly climbing on 250

Serial # 1B721115

This is on a shearwater, got back from a fishing trip, and hooked up the muffs to flush the salt out and just being an over cautious person I always watch the temp, and the thermostat have always opened right at 134* on the smart craft gauges.

At an idle with the muffs on the temp will slowly but steadily climb until I shut it off (at 150) and the tale stream steadily pisses as it always has. Water psi is .5

It has never done this before, and the motor has always preformed flawless.
    Last edited by Mark lawrence; 01-02-2021 at 09:28 AM. Reason: adding information

2. Member
    When is the last time you replaced the water pump impeller?

3. Member
    If the impeller is a year old or more change it, otherwise it doesn’t matter how it runs on the muffs because your hose may not have enough flow, it only matters how it performs in the water. If your temps are climbing and pressure is only 0.5 in the water then you certainly have a problem.

4. Member
    Champ, it’s been close to a year

Jtreed99, I haven’t put it on the water with the current issue, so it’s only been on a water hose.

I will be ordering a complete kit on Monday. Anything else I can/should do also ?

5. Member
    Always start with the source, your impeller. Wouldn't hurt to pull your thermostats and inspect them for debris and proper operation.

6. Member
    Champ, thanks for that and I will just order new t-stats as well (if I am going to inspect them, might as well replace them).

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Don't throw the old ones out... they may serve in a pinch at a later date.

Recommend an impeller KIT.

Also: Did you have the LOW WATER INLETS covered when you were running it on the muffs? If not... that is likely why the water pressure was low, and temp was climbing....

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Don- Ok, I will save them. And no... I have never covered anything when running on muffs, just whatever they cover. I have always just turned the water on and did a start up.

I will be reaching out to your business Monday and ordering what has been recommended. Thank you

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lawrence View Post
    Don I have never covered anything when running on muffs, just whatever they cover. I have always just turned the water on and did a start up.
    common mistake easily repaired
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

10. Member
    Joe- mind explaining how to repair ? I am always up for learning.

11. Member
    I think Joe is referring to covering up the low water pickups on the nosecone. One thing to remember is to BE SURE you remove the coverings when done running on the muffs!

12. Member
    Got it, though there was some sort of “mod to the muffs” or something to that effect. Thank you

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You can also obtain (and use) the low water pickup cover (aka: "bra") which is a little less likely to be forgotten and left on the gearcase.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    common mistake easily repaired
    most anything damaged in w/p can be repaired very easy if caused from this
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

15. Member
    Thanks for all of the help, it is truly appreciated.

16. Member
    yes sir

17. Member
    Just wanted to post a quick update... ordered a water pump kit # 47-8M0100526 from European Marine awesome service and very fast shipping. Finally got time and it installed today. The issue is fixed, the temp climbs to 134-136* and the falls back to 125 ish and this is without and cover on the nose cone.

A big thank you to everyone who took time and helped.

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lawrence View Post
    Just wanted to post a quick update... ordered a water pump kit # 47-8M0100526 from European Marine awesome service and very fast shipping. Finally got time and it installed today. The issue is fixed, the temp climbs to 134-136* and the falls back to 125 ish and this is without and cover on the nose cone.

A big thank you to everyone who took time and helped.
    Glad you got that taken care of.

Strongly suggest you invest in either the lower water pickup "bra", or some other method to cover the low water inlets when you intend to run the engine. Doing so is considered MANDATORY when running the engine on muffs.

19. Member
    Understood, that will be addressed very soon. Thank you sir