Thread: Ranger trailer

Ranger trailer

My dad just picked up his new Ranger RT188P. He ordered it with a aluminum trailer which was an option when he ordered it 5 months ago. But on the website now the aluminum trailer is not an option and it came in with a coated tubular trailer with no backup lighting. The boat is touching the fenders on both sides, is this normal on these boats?

2. Member
    From what I heard Ranger changed trailers (again) when JM moved the aluminum plant out of Flippin. Sadly, they opted to go back to a tube trailer instead of C channel. However, something doesn't sound right with both sides hitting the fenders. I'd check with the dealer and get things figured out. When I picked up my RT178 in October of 2019, the trailer seemed off to me. After several frustrating launches and several weeks of research and back and forth with Ranger, the dealer, and the trailer manufacturer, it was discovered that they put my 178 on a trailer for a 198. Both Ranger and the dealer made things right as quick as possible, so my hats of to them.

Yea I don’t think you could slide a piece of paper between the boat and carpet on fender. You would have to load it perfect to not bend the fenders, which is kinda hard down here with tidal current and wind.

4. Member
    Doesn't sound right. Have the dealer fix the issue!

5. Member
    I no longer have the boat but I had the same issue with a Nitro Z19 with an Ozark, Mo made trailer. It's been about 3 years ago but I remember being able to move the fenders outward to give more clearance. I think there were four bolts holding the fender in place, 2 on each of the front and rear steps. I believe the mounting holes on the fender or the steps, not sure which, were slotted and allowed for some adjustment. One of the things I learned the hard way was the trailer needed to be shallower in the water than any of my previous boats or it would float over the fender. I considered putting side guides on but never did once I figured out the best depth for the trailer when loading.

I have a tandem ordered with my 198P and the trailer is a concern. My Nitro trailer was okay but not up to the level of my previous Ranger trailers. I didn't have any issues with it other than the correct loading procedure but I really would prefer the previous Flippin made trailer. It honestly probably won't matter as I just fish local lakes with pretty short travel distances.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

6. Member
    He should be able to get some money back since it arrived on the wrong trailer. My 2020 VX1788 arrived on a tracker tubular trailer with “Ranger Trail” stickers on it. The brochure and website photos showed (and still show) a c channel trailer. Also, the guide ons were smashed against the hull sides and rubbed the paint off. They gave me financial compensation for it arriving on a different trailer.

This is the exact sort of thing that people are complaining about with how Ranger operates under the WRMG umbrella, and it’s obvious that they just don’t care if they’re still doing this to customers. I complained about this very thing (as well as many other issues) on my Ranger survey they sent me after delivery last spring and I requested they contact me, but that never happened.

7. Member
    I would not accept it. I would get my money back and buy something else....the boats before they moved the plant to Tracker were GREAT boats with exceptional customer service. Not so anymore from what I hear. I would guess you are heading down a road full of disappointments.... I would get my money back....

This is my opinion and what I would do....n if I HAD to keep the boat, I would FORCE THE ISSUE and demand my aluminum trailer. That might give him a way out.
    Last edited by FloridaFlyer; 01-02-2021 at 12:04 PM.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

8. Member
    Getting off topic but I would point out that there is no track record for the Lebanon made boats as they have just started arriving at dealers. My dealer, who is the top Ranger dealer in the country, is convinced they will be better as there were some weld issues with the Flippin made boats and not with the Tracker brand boats made in Lebanon. The trailers and the boats will have the same warranties as the ones made in Flippin which is 3 years for everything for both. If there are issues they should be exposed in 3 years. A major factor in any big ticket item is the dealer. The good ones will make sure you get the service you need.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

Well he ended up sending the boat back and got his money back. Won't be looking at Ranger again.