Thread: Point 1 Issues

Point 1 Issues

Hello All,

I recently installed a Point 1 that I purchased 2nd hand. (may be bad). This is my NMEA setup From Back of Boat to Front: Resister, T-connector, Point 1(top of T), 15ft cable(going to consol), T-connector, HDS 12(top of T), T-connector, Power (top of T), 15 ft conector, T-connector, HDS 9( top of T), Resister. The HDS 12 will not register the point 1 under GPS, only under vessel, but it show invalid under vessel. I have tried to refresh the list. I have tried changing the GLOBAL to LOCAL on them but it will not let me check mark the point 1 under gps. What am i doing wrong?

2. Member
    Everything in your NMEA network sounds correct. At the console HDS 12 can you select the bow as the GPS source? And vice versa? If so, you are correct, the Point 1 is malfunctioning. Can you select the Point 1 as GPS source for the bow? If you are able to freely select either of the two HDS units as your GPS source, that only leaves the Point 1 as the problem.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

3. Member
    I will check this in the morning. Thank you for the troubleshoot.

4. Banned
    New nmea wires, terminators and T’s?

5. Member
    So I went out there and yes. I can pic between the 2 units only but not the point 1. So it must be the issue. I guess I will have to buy a brand new one and see if it changes.

6. Member
    Yes

7. Member
    When you go to the Settings, Network, Device list is Point-1 listed twice, as GPS and compass?

Do any of you Guys remember the issue with some Point-1 pucks that were manufactured for Ranger that did not have GPS? or was it no heading? My memory is not clear on this.
    I think you can call Lowrance with the serial number and they will tell you if it is one of those.
    Another long shot:
    I saw on a U-Tube video that the Point-1 would go to sleep if it was left powered up and unused for a log period of time (like overnight). If this happens, you have to remove the cable from the top of the tee for a minute then reconnect.
    Can’t vouch for this but i found it so strange that it stuck in my memory.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjones1820 View Post
    Hello All,

I recently installed a Point 1 that I purchased 2nd hand. (may be bad). This is my NMEA setup From Back of Boat to Front: Resister, T-connector, Point 1(top of T), 15ft cable(going to consol), T-connector, HDS 12(top of T), T-connector, Power (top of T), 15 ft conector, T-connector, HDS 9( top of T), Resister. The HDS 12 will not register the point 1 under GPS, only under vessel, but it show invalid under vessel. I have tried to refresh the list. I have tried changing the GLOBAL to LOCAL on them but it will not let me check mark the point 1 under gps. What am i doing wrong?
    Should this not be connected to the bottom of the T in a drop-cable fashion? Only thing connected to the "arms" of the 'T' is another 'T' or a terminator? Maybe I'm just misunderstanding the direction of your T's - dunno. For me the "Arms" are the top of the 'T'. The single "leg" would be the bottom of the 'T'.

10. Member
    For some reason I think of the drop connection as the TOP of the T too. But I know most of you guys think of it as a letter T, so the drop connector is the bottom. Must be a California thing.

NoCAL
    2B112175

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    For some reason I think of the drop connection as the TOP of the T too. But I know most of you guys think of it as a letter T, so the drop connector is the bottom. Must be a California thing.

NoCAL

12. Member
    No. Just 1 time

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    Do any of you Guys remember the issue with some Point-1 pucks that were manufactured for Ranger that did not have GPS? or was it no heading? My memory is not clear on this.
    I think you can call Lowrance with the serial number and they will tell you if it is one of those.
    Another long shot:
    I saw on a U-Tube video that the Point-1 would go to sleep if it was left powered up and unused for a log period of time (like overnight). If this happens, you have to remove the cable from the top of the tee for a minute then reconnect.
    Can’t vouch for this but i found it so strange that it stuck in my memory.

I thought about that initially too, I think they were lacking heading sensors; but same as you I’m not 100%. Really sounds like a bad point1 though, if it doesn’t show in the devices list.

14. Member
    The Ranger ones functioned fine as an external GPS but were lacking the heading sensor. So they would show up oh the GPS tab but there was no Vessel tab even present. Sounds like a different issue with the OP. I don't know why one would stop working but that is what it sounds like. Only way to tell is purchase a brand new one.

NoCAL
    2B112175

15. Member
    Problem resolved. Bought a new unit and works fine. Thank you all for the help.