Rayburn navigation

Quick question..... so I found fish up around San Augustine ramp, "Aish" creek (I think that's the name). We put in for the BFL down at Umphrey by the dam. Should I be fine running navionics or is there something else to worry about? I know once up past the ramp a lot of idling is necessary but what about up to it?

2. Member
    Lots of lower unit enders.
    Danny Head
    Hinton, Oklahoma
    2015 Ranger RT 188, Mercury 115 4 stroke

3. Member
    Get the boatlanes card for Rayburn. I hit a stump up that way, never saw it, and totaled my hull. Peeled a four foot section of hull. Didn't even know anything was wrong until the bilge kicked on. Barely felt the impact. Co-angler didn't even notice it.

4. Member
    Looks like you were able to get to your fish after all! Good Job!

5. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ 2001 View Post
    Ditto!

6. Member
    Ditto on Boat Lanes, you will need it when you pass Buck Bay.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TxRanger1 View Post
    Ditto on Boat Lanes, you will need it when you pass Buck Bay.
    That is exactly where I hit. On the opposite bank up past Buck Bay.

There is a singular, isolated stump exactly where Amistad Tackle is referring to. It was about 1ft. above the water level (on a calm day) 2 months ago. Now that the lake has risen almost 2ft. since then, that stump is a likely culprit, as you can not see it at the current lake level.
    The stump is pretty big ... 16 or 18 inch diameter, maybe larger. That little stretch of water he is referring to can be a "butt pucker" ride when the lake is slightly below normal pool, as many of the tree's in that area are broken at normal water levels. I have found that running that stretch is best done as close to the bank as possible when water levels are below normal pool.
    Depending on what electronics you have, I would suggest idling in that stretch and then making your own navigational route by mapping it.
    2024 Bass Cat Puma STS
    2024 Mercury V8 ProXS 250hp

9. Member
    For me that lake has been a mine field. I am not a regular over there, so it is always sketchy at best. That incident was a while back with a Skeeter I had. That boat was cursed. LOL!

I've heard that even for regulars the area above Buck is touch and go. I was surprised to hear that when John Cox won the FLW event in 2020 he just trimmed up and let it rip above the 147 bridge all the way up. Some people are just lucky.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RMG63 View Post
    There is a singular, isolated stump exactly where Amistad Tackle is referring to. It was about 1ft. above the water level (on a calm day) 2 months ago. Now that the lake has risen almost 2ft. since then, that stump is a likely culprit, as you can not see it at the current lake level.
    The stump is pretty big ... 16 or 18 inch diameter, maybe larger. That little stretch of water he is referring to can be a "butt pucker" ride when the lake is slightly below normal pool, as many of the tree's in that area are broken at normal water levels. I have found that running that stretch is best done as close to the bank as possible when water levels are below normal pool.
    Depending on what electronics you have, I would suggest idling in that stretch and then making your own navigational route by mapping it.
    That single is just the beginning. I know that side better than 90% of the people out there. Theres a run between the island out in front of buck and a forest on the other side. It's called square woods. The next cove after the woods has timber all in the creek running in so you have to know where the forest stops and the creek channel is. Then the creek going into millers is LOADED from way out in the main lake and cuts across the cove at the mouth. When its low, maybe 6ft I wont run thru the mouth, it's that bad. Ofcourse Miller flats are covered like Toledo. If you draw a line from the main lake side of millers straight up the lake, the east side is clear except one big one that may still be visible, anything west is no different than running Toledo. There is a boat lane that goes up north but most people dont have a clue what they are running over. Its forgiving at full pull to about 2ft low. Right now will get your boat hurt pretty good. On the buck bay side the island has timber in the river channel but you can see it. The point just north of there is loaded and it goes all back on that flat. The creek has timber way out in the lake but its visible, DO NOT CROSS that creek when it's this low. It's super dangerous and they are big stumps. The boat lanes chip will take you across it at some point and he says it's good to 5ft down but I wouldnt try it. There is a run into buck but I cant exactly explain where because I just hope I hit it when I go and past 2-3ft down I just wont run it. It's also just like Toledo once you hit the timber line. We checked it all out when it was 14ft low but we were stupid and didnt mark some of the boat runs and stuff we should have. Hope that helps.

Great info kry29 ... thanks for sharing man. Be safe out there
    2024 Bass Cat Puma STS
    2024 Mercury V8 ProXS 250hp

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RMG63 View Post
    Is it marked on Navionics map?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ 2001 View Post
    Yeah...I had a pretty decent showing for never seening that place. I had the potential for about a 20lb sack but lost a 6+ in the first 20 minutes and another close to 4lbs. I already love that lake....

14. Member
    Thanks for the advise. I'm going to look into the boat lanes card.

15. Member
    Again, Boat Lanes will easily pay for itself in patience alone.