Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Towing Tandem Axle with 1 Tire Flat

I recently had a right front trailer tire blow out about 2 miles from home. I couldn't get the lock off my spare (don't ask why!!). Anyway I took the blown tire off and supported and secured that side of the axle to the frame with a cargo strap. By the time I got home the right rear was ready to blow. The inside of that tire was rubbing on the fender well due to the added weight. Are there any tips to keep that from happening? Hopefully it doesn't happen again but Murphy always strikes when you least expect it! BTW... the trailer has springs. Thanks!!

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Assuming you raised the front axle enough, you may have a problem. The equalizer on the springs will allow the rear axle to go up if the front axle is too low.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Just take the off the other side opposite of the blown tire...drive on like a single axle.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    Just take the off the other side opposite of the blown tire...drive on like a single axle.
    That won’t work. The hubs in the axle without tires will drag on the road and the tires on the other axle will rub on the fenders.
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    Ive drove to and from the ramp to home ,about 2 mi several times with one flat but tire intact with wheel on no issues

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    That won’t work. The hubs in the axle without tires will drag on the road and the tires on the other axle will rub on the fenders.
    Works on a lot of trailers.....prolly have to strap up the axle with no tires. Also you may have to adjust your tongue height.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

7. Member
    Works on a lot of trailers.....prolly have to strap up the axle with no tires. Also you may have to adjust your tongue height.
    Have you actually ever done it? since that should overload the rear axle tires to the point of blowing up or at very least break belts when they overheat.

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    You have to strap the axle up on a conventional suspension, but there is no reason to take the other wheel off.
    nothing else matters.​

You have to have the axle level, just like there was a tire on it.

Thanks for all the replies! I may not have strapped it high enough!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Astro-T View Post
    Thanks for all the replies! I may not have strapped it high enough!!!
    that would be my first thought.

Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    Have you actually ever done it? since that should overload the rear axle tires to the point of blowing up or at very least break belts when they overheat.
    I've seen roofers and scrap haulers pulling old POS trailers many times where they had either pulled an axle or tied it up. Used it like a single axle.

13. Member
    I've strapped my axle up before and limped home like a 3 legged dog (about 100 miles), but I used a 2x4 like a counter lever to keep the axle from equalizing and then strap. Don't know if you can do it with a strap alone, it will always try and equalize.

For sure the extra weight on one axle can cause rubbing, mine was the rear axle that I had strapped which I think might of help distribute the load on the front axle, so I didn't rub.

14. Member
    I removed the blown tire (rear) and put a piece of 4x4 between the frame and the top of the front spring and shackle connected to the equalizer so it couldn't go up on the front side and down on the rear. This kept the rear axle from dragging and also didn't allow the front tire to rub on the fender. The 4x4 was held in place by the weight of the boat but I still put a couple of wraps of duct tape around it just in case it tried to wiggle out somehow. I drove home with no issues. I believe blocking the spring/equalizer is a better option than strapping up the axle.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Astro-T View Post
    I recently had a right front trailer tire blow out about 2 miles from home. I couldn't get the lock off my spare (don't ask why!!). Anyway I took the blown tire off and supported and secured that side of the axle to the frame with a cargo strap. By the time I got home the right rear was ready to blow. The inside of that tire was rubbing on the fender well due to the added weight. Are there any tips to keep that from happening? Hopefully it doesn't happen again but Murphy always strikes when you least expect it! BTW... the trailer has springs. Thanks!!
    absolutely, carry a 4x4 block in truck and jack up trailer and put the block above the tire thats still on springs to keep it from sagging. check out ben millikens vid on youtube about it.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Angler View Post
    absolutely, carry a 4x4 block in truck and jack up trailer and put the block above the tire thats still on springs to keep it from sagging. check out ben millikens vid on youtube about it.
    Can you post a link please, I looked and couldn't find it. thanks

17. Member

Quote Originally Posted by rakkc View Post
    Can you post a link please, I looked and couldn't find it. thanks

18. Member
    awesome, thank you

19. Member
    That's for leaf spring trailers. How about torsion axles?

20. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    That's for leaf spring trailers. How about torsion axles?
    Take the wheel off and drive.
    nothing else matters.​

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast