Original Float n Fly from East Tennessee

After reading through the other float n fly thread, I though you all might like to see these. These flies are from the late 80's maybe early 90's that I bought when I lived in E TN. I believe they were 3/32 oz with number 2 hooks in them. The head was more like an aspirin head. The flies without the eyes were round heads, but someone used a pair of channel locks to make them into an aspirin head. We fished these on 4 pound line and a pear float with three wraps around the float keeper. Two wraps would slip and four wraps would break the line.

FnF1.jpg

FnF2.jpg

2. Member
    I have some, not like those, that I bought maybe 20 years ago from Dale Hollow Tackle.

Tackle has come a long way the last 20+ years. I'm not sure why some like to make old technology... There are better options today. Better hooks, Better heads, Better materials.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Tackle has come a long way the last 20+ years. I'm not sure why some like to make old technology... There are better options today. Better hooks, Better heads, Better materials.
    You’ve said it, Mike.

Most any fly tier would look at those and think that he can do better than that.

Even a hundred years ago, those would be considered crudely tied by a tier with some experience.

We must not confuse the level of fly tying, with the ability to catch fish, though.

Thanks for the picture, it offers perspective on several levels.

Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    You’ve said it, Mike.

We must not confuse the level of fly tying, with the ability to catch fish, though.
    You are talking to someone who has caught a ton of nice bass on a shoelace and jighead....

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

You are talking to someone who has caught a ton of nice bass on a shoelace and jighead....

I still have flies and lures I tied and made when I got my first fly tying kit for Christmas in 1978. Used chunks of wood from fruit crates, hair from the neighbor’s collie and cat, even dryer lint. One of the reasons I continue to tie and build to this day, is that those flies, jigs, and lures, caught fish.

I remember catching brook trout after brook trout on the crowded Lake Michigan piers on small jigs I tied. Sight fishing, when none of the grown-ups could catch them. Wish I’d have thought of using shoelaces and maybe even a float then.

7. Member
    There are better options today. Better hooks, Better heads, Better materials.
    No doubt about that. The duck feathers were used before craft hair came around. Craft hair flies started to appear when troll dolls were a big thing and folks stared cutting the hair off the troll dolls to make float n flies. Although that duck feather fly still works too.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentrout View Post
    Although that duck feather fly still works too.
    Dang right it does. Also one of the best lures to use in stocked creeks for trout also.....if you can see them, you can catch them.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sll View Post
    Dang right it does. Also one of the best lures to use in stocked creeks for trout also.....if you can see them, you can catch them.
    I still tie lots of them!

I like a combination of duck feathers and craft hair with some flash strands. I've even started adding a weed guard cause some of the places I fish have lots of trees in the water.
    Tight Lines,
    Andrew

11. Member
    I think the one thing people miss on these little jigs is tying them on a jigheadwith no collar. Little slimmer minnow profile. I got some originals from early 90 s. Craft hair and a little flash. Great hooks, very tough paint.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alumicraft145 View Post
    I think the one thing people miss on these little jigs is tying them on a jigheadwith no collar. Little slimmer minnow profile.

13. Member
    Plan on using mine for shad and herring on the Hudson this spring
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

14. Member
    Better hooks, Better heads, Better materials.
    The Papa Johns recipe for making jigs!

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Munkin View Post
    The Papa Johns recipe for making jigs!

Allen
    Please define this post.

16. Member
    better ingriedients /papa johns......although i don't care for papa johns.
    Wave Therapy