Thread: Savage 220

Savage 220

Wondering what kind of ammo everyone is shooting out of the 220? Mine jams with 3 inch shells unless I only put 1 in the chamber and 1 in the mag. Any fix for this? It cycles 2 3/4 shells much smoother but they are hard to find around here.

I'm using Partition golds I dont trust the accutips it seems like they dont expand well.

2. Banned
    Maybe change bullets,my wife's Marlin .22 jams with CCI but shoots the Winchesters good no jams.

Hornady slugs were the ticket in my 12 gauge Mossberg Slugster, but may not be for your shotgun.

I don’t know that you get much more (if any) velocity increase from a 3” over the 2.75” shell. I would find what shot best out of my gun in a 2.75” shell.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by thorp View Post
    Wondering what kind of ammo everyone is shooting out of the 220? Mine jams with 3 inch shells unless I only put 1 in the chamber and 1 in the mag. Any fix for this? It cycles 2 3/4 shells much smoother but they are hard to find around here.

I'm using Partition golds I dont trust the accutips it seems like they dont expand well.
    I’ve got a Savage 220 and it’s one of the most accurate firearms I own. What load did your owners manual recommend? Mine recommended 3” Remington Accutips and they will drive tacks. I’ve killed one buck with them and they performed well. No idea why yours jams like that. Do you cycle the bolt slowly or fast with force? After last year’s season I replaced the bolt handle with a Savage tactical bolt handle. That made mine cycle much more smoothly and quicker.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Member
    3" Accutips are recommended but I am concerned about the expansion with the accutips I shot a nice buck at 50 yds and it ran for miles with minimal blood. I lost it.

The gun is very accurate that's why I'm keeping it. Just need to sort out the jamming issue. Savage said the will send a new mag and to see if that changes anything.

I have best luck working the action hard and fast.

Anyone try the tarhunt 20 ga. Schrifle rounds in the 220? 365gr at 1800 fps is incredible. Rather expensive rounds tho.

6. Member
    With any box magazine it is critical when you put a round in it to push it as far back as possible.

7. Member
    Mine will hang up occasionally, so I normally just keep one in the mag and one in the chamber. It’s not the most refined gun around, but damn shoots good. I shoot 2 3/4 accutips and the farthest I’ve had one go is about 30 yards.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thorp View Post

I am confused. You describe 2 3/4" and 3" shells which are fired in a shotgun then mention Partition golds and Accutips which in the U.S. are rifle projectiles. Am I missing something in your post?

Yes, I was missing something, you are referring to shotgun slugs which are almost never used here in my state.

My son who lives in Illinois is restricted from using center fire rifles for deer but can use slugs ( no buckshot ) in a shotgun. Sorry for being slow to understand.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

9. Member
    I also have one. I haven't experienced and feeding issues at all. I've been shooting the Federal Throphy 3" slugs as recommended in the owners manual. I have taken several deer with it. All shots were between 60 - 100 yards with complete pass through. Nothing has traveled more than 25-30 yards from point of impact. Exit hole is quite large but as I wasn't able to recover any of the slugs I can't confirm expansion results. A high shoulder shot puts them on the ground where they stand. Really like this slug gun.
    Phillip "Wade" Norris
    2015 Ranger Z520C
    250 Merc Optimax Pro XS (S# 2B113454)
    25P Fury - 4 blade all holes open

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater Bass View Post
    I also have one. I haven't experienced and feeding issues at all. I've been shooting the Federal Throphy 3" slugs as recommended in the owners manual. I have taken several deer with it. All shots were between 60 - 100 yards with complete pass through. Nothing has traveled more than 25-30 yards from point of impact. Exit hole is quite large but as I wasn't able to recover any of the slugs I can't confirm expansion results. A high shoulder shot puts them on the ground where they stand. Really like this slug gun.
    Exactly!