Genesis.....creation, evolution or both ?

There has been a lot of discussion over the last few weeks about the topic. I have a question now

Can you explain your view :

Is the creation account in Genesis

1. A literal historical account in a literal 7 days

2. A literal historical account with some "ages/long period of gaps" included in the 7 days

3. A symbolic story that gives an account of God entering His creation and establishing His first covenant with His creation.

4. FILL IN THE BLANK WITH YOUR THOUGHTS IF THEY DIFFER FROM THE FIRST THREE CHOICES

2. Member
    Dozer,
    Here is my opinion and personal understanding of Creation, meaning every universe out there, which Paul describes it up to the 3rd Heaven, all created by GOD as it is described in the first paragraph of Genesis 1: 1 In the beginning GOD created the heavens and the earth.
    I believe the thing that confounds most readers is the next paragraph starting with 'And', though it is a common thing to do in many latin bases european languages, especially Italian dialects I grew up with. If you read the next paragraph in this manner, ' The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep, and the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.' Now, you can clearly see that the 2 occurrences happen in different time period, which could potentially be 100000000000000000000000000000 yrs (pick a number) apart for all we know, since GOD does not give a time reference, even though as we know it, GOD is very detailed in many other areas of Scriptures.

So to clarify, again in my opinion, something destroyed the earth from its original creation, and GOD restores it starting in Genesis 3. Lot of people have questioned the 7 day account,( what is a day in GOD's time??) yet as a Christian I strongly believe that all things are possible to GOD; hence, it is our limited minds that prevent us to fully encompass His power.

3. Member
    It makes my head hurt to even think about it too much. Nothing I learned in a science class ever made me doubt God. Either way is OK with me, because God is big enough to do it any way He wanted to.

It is a literal 7 days. Easily explained.
    http://lavistachurchofchrist.org/LVa...teralWeek.html
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

Last edited by LennyB; 04-17-2021 at 06:57 AM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post
    It makes my head hurt to even think about it too much. Nothing I learned in a science class ever made me doubt God. Either way is OK with me, because God is big enough to do it any way He wanted to.
    I'm with your Mr Wayne. If you can create heaven and earth I'm sure you have the ability to do it any way you want and in the time frame you choose. I try to keep it all simple and don't really dig deep into these questions. I read my scriptures and let God reveal to me what I need. Faith is what saves me so I rely on faith to lead me.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by godsdozer View Post

3. A symbolic story that gives an account of God entering His creation and establishing His first covenant with His creation.
    This plus the fact that God's plan for his creatures' continued survival was/is evolution.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
    This plus the fact that God's plan for his creatures' continued survival was/is evolution.
    Agree only if mutations/adaptations are continued survival of all living created things not the genesis of evolution.

I have adapted to live with degenerative arthritis by having several surgical implants and fusions due to the mutation of my joints from the disease. Now, the mutation of my myalgia carditis is forcing me to adapt to deal with PTLDS. I can assure you that I am not evolving into the titanium man, though that would solve most of my physical issues, yet leaving all that mental baggage to deal with for a later time.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    Agree only if mutations/adaptations are continued survival of all living created things not the genesis of evolution.
    So, have the current species of animals and plants existed since the beginning? They/we coexisted with T-Rex, and all survived the Permian extinction?

10. Member
    PMantle,
    I have posted my opinion on that matter on another post on this forum. BTW, I like the Permian for making me some good money on my oil stocks, especially FANG.

11. Member
    Yes, those Synapsids and Therapsids cooked down nicely.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
    Yes, those Synapsids and Therapsids cooked down nicely.
    I like meat roasted, but if cooked is your preference, who am I to tell you otherwise. To each its own!