TRX 20 VS. TRX 21

I know this topic has been covered before but I wanted to see if the more recent hulls are still showing the same performance differences. I have seen several beautiful TRX 20's for sale lately and that got me thinking about this. The TRX 21 was based on the HP hull from what I understand and the TRX 20 was not an HP hull. What are the real world performance differences? How much speed loss if any in the TRX 20 and what about the other performance characteristics such as Hole shot and Rough water handling. Thanks Guys and this will be good information for anyone in the market even though I am personally not shopping at the moment.
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

2. Member
    From what I understand, The 20 TRX hull was made from a 21TRX mold with 7 inches removed in front of the consoles. Because the 21TRX basically runs on the same hull area, the performance is nearly identical with the weight exception. Sometimes the sweet spot changes with the fulcrum point being different, and the 20 will spear a wave a bit shorter that the 21 due to the length difference (lol). I've driven both and think the difference in cost isn't worth the extra 7 inches personally. The main deal is whether or not to do the Patriot model. Seems to me the Patriot is the only way to go.

3. Member
    The 20 TrX is based on 20XS hull. 21 is based on HP Hull. They both ride and fish very good. The 21 is a tad sportier but I don’t think there is much speed difference. Biggest difference is 21 has more room in the cockpit. I’ve owned both and liked both. Stay away from the 2017/2018 year models and you’ll be happy either way.

This is also my understanding of the differences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Landar View Post
    The 20 TrX is based on 20XS hull. 21 is based on HP Hull. They both ride and fish very good. The 21 is a tad sportier but I don’t think there is much speed difference. Biggest difference is 21 has more room in the cockpit. I’ve owned both and liked both. Stay away from the 2017/2018 year models and you’ll be happy either way.

Mike Beachy 2020 TRX 21 250 Pro XS 4S

5. Member
    Whats wrong with the 17 and 18's.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basshound250 View Post
    Whats wrong with the 17 and 18's.
    Those were the years where manufacturing of the boats was done in multiple locations (mainly 2018). By 2019 the manufacturing moved To the Legend Plant and the quality improved. Just seems like there were quite a few lemons put out during the transition. My 2020 model has been great.

7. Member
    The TRX is not the hphull ,
    there is no convex pad.and the rear bottom corners are hooked to keep it from walking as much .it rides great
    but if you can get it out of the water they don't land as soft either. My trx is 6-8 mph slower than the hp.

8. Member
    I have a 2017 20 .. Patriot.. have had NO issues ..

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

9. Member
    My '17 has been great as well, no problems at all.

I’ve got a 19 20TRX and really like it. I think hole shot is good but I do blow the prop out a bit. I have messed with the plugs a little to see if I can make that better. I have had it to 73 and was still pulling when I backed it down. Currently, it starts to walk at around 70 and I am still working on correcting it. Another guy I know in my area had the same boat and hit 78 with his. To me, anything in the 70 is plenty fast on the water but I do understand that everyone wants different things. I have no complaints about the boat.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

11. Member
    I appreciate the Input folks. It sounds like the TRX 20 has potential to be a low to mid 70's top end boat tournament loaded which is right in the wheelhouse of what most other 20 footers will do. They sure do have a nice layout and I know they ride well. I'll pass that on to the guys I know who are looking. Most of them have mentioned that they heard the 20's don't run nearly as good as the 21's. That sounds like bad information from what Y'all are saying.
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

12. Member
    I have a 2018 20TRX,no issues as of it.250Pro xs 2 stroke.tried everything to get some speed,hydralic plate,4 lithium batteries,removed tackle,tried different props.two people day in and day oy 68-70.rides good and handles rough water better than my 05 tr21x.

13. Member
    I had a 2018 20TRX and it was nothing but problems. Just picked up a 2020 21TRX so come springtime I can elaborate more on ride and performance differences. I can say the 20 is not a 21 with 7” off the nose... the 21 has more much legroom in the cockpit and its 4” longer on the front deck than the 20.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrain89 View Post
    I had a 2018 20TRX and it was nothing but problems. Just picked up a 2020 21TRX so come springtime I can elaborate more on ride and performance differences. I can say the 20 is not a 21 with 7” off the nose... the 21 has more much legroom in the cockpit and its 4” longer on the front deck than the 20.
    If I had any criticism for my 20TRX it is the passenger leg room. But, since I don't sit over there anymore I guess it doesn't really affect me.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    If I had any criticism for my 20TRX it is the passenger leg room. But, since I don't sit over there anymore I guess it doesn't really affect me.
    yeah even behind the steering wheel the 21 is more spacious. Easier getting in and out of seat too.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrain89 View Post
    yeah even behind the steering wheel the 21 is more spacious. Easier getting in and out of seat too.
    Well, I’m 5’10” and I have plenty of room behind the wheel.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow