Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1997 186SC Value?

One came up for sale not super far from me with a 2005 175 Opti (hours aren't listed), Fortrex and a 10" Helix (looks like a Gen2). It's being brokered through PopYachts. Anyway he's asking $17,250 which I think is crazy so I offered him $7K and he can keep the Fortrex and the graph. That offer was rejected (which I kinda figured) so I came back with $8300 which is as high as I'd want to go. I was then told he expects he'll get at least $15K for it. I don't know if location makes much of a difference but it's in IL.

Who's further off, him or me? Looks to be in decent shape but based on the pics it'll probably need seats and I'd bet carpet.

2. Member
    I saw that boat when the owner listed it himself on Facebook marketplace. I believe he was asking $14,000-$15,000 for it back then. Most clean/cherry 186's with a 175 bring 10-13K in my neck of the woods with original power. A quality carpet job will be $800-1,000 and factory dean seats another $800. My suggestion is to make a trip to look at the boat in person and lay eyes on it to see what it really needs. Cash in hand all the better.

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar

4. Member
    Thanks guys, appreciate it. I can do the carpet, I've done a couple and I've got a local place I've used before that can reupholster the seats. I'll have to mull over whether I want to go that high.

I guess if you can't sell it for $15K on Facebook it makes the most sense to put it up through a broker for $17,250

5. Member
    It would have to be cherry top to bottom and front to back before I'd get up around 10K
    GETFISHED !!!

6. Member
    It would have to be cherry top to bottom and front to back before I'd get up around 10K. The motor is the newest thing on it and it is 15 years old.
    GETFISHED !!!

7. Member
    these boats bring stupid high money an the bigger they are the more they bring.

8. Member
    You most likely know to have the transom checked for decay. From my unfortunate experience a couple of years ago with a 186, have a fiberglass repair shop check the stringers too.

Your offer is accurate

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SNS187 View Post
    You most likely know to have the transom checked for decay. From my unfortunate experience a couple of years ago with a 186, have a fiberglass repair shop check the stringers too.

Your offer is accurate
    Thanks, I am aware of some of the issues with Champ transoms. I've got a buddy who does a lot of glass work on boats out of his body shop and he has a moisture meter I can borrow.

10. Member
    10k$ tops. I had a 97 186. Great boat. Was a lot of options available also. As it got older got to be dog slow. We need pics!!
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alumicraft145 View Post
    10k$ tops. I had a 97 186. Great boat. Was a lot of options available also. As it got older got to be dog slow. We need pics!!
    https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1997...eries-7681012/

I actually just looked at it a little closer and it doesn't have hydraulic steering. Pretty sure I'm just going to leave this one be.
    Last edited by willwork4fish; 01-08-2021 at 02:02 PM.

12. Member
    Like the seats!! That was an option in 97. Has the upgraded wheels and swing away tounge. Does not have step up cooler. Hydraulic steering wasn't an option back then?? Nice looking boat for 10k. Lotta memories there. Spent incredible amount of time in one of those. Left my all green one in tenn. On a trade in.

13. Member
    willwork4fish did you go look at the boat? Steve Wise form Pop Yachts keeps emailing me about this boat.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Papab View Post
    willwork4fish did you go look at the boat? Steve Wise form Pop Yachts keeps emailing me about this boat.
    I didn't look at it. It's probably 90 minutes away and the feedback I got from Pop Yachts was that he was expecting closer to $15K. I left my top offer and haven't heard anything back.

15. Member
    i asked Steven Wise who is helping to sell it, he said Boat is in great and solid shape. No repair or anything done to the transom.
    i agree the $17,200 is pretty high.

16. Member
    i know this is a dumb question, but I don't know the answer. what does the hydraulic steering do?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Papab View Post
    i asked Steven Wise who is helping to sell it, he said Boat is in great and solid shape. No repair or anything done to the transom.
    i agree the $17,200 is pretty high.
    He's selling it through Pop Yachts which is an online broker from Florida. Steven Wise is just one of the brokers/sales people. He's never seen the boat. I got the same info from someone named Dana.

Hydraulic steering makes it easier to steer, reduces/eliminates the torque you'd feel at the steering wheel from the prop. It's safer, especially at higher speeds. I've had boats with both and wouldn't want one with cable steering again.

If you've got $17-$18K to spend you can get a much better boat than that one.

18. Member
    i agree, i will keep looking.

19. Member
    Cable steering is enough for this boat. Can upgrade to hydraulic for about 1k if you want. Too bad price is that high, that is a nice looking boat. Wonder if the flasher still works?? Hope it's covered and not sitting outside.

20. Member
    I bought an 1997 186 elite with original 175 power with hydraulic steering, graphs & ultrex 3 years ago for just under 10k if this helps.

I did carpet & seats because I wanted to not because I had too. I think that boat is overpriced although it’s probably a sweet ride

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast