Thread: Trick step Help

Trick step Help

As I posted earlier I installed a trick step on my Stratos trailer. The bottom of the first step is 13 and half inches off the ground. The bottom of the trailer next to it is 17 inches off the ground. That means my trick step is three and a half inches lower than my trailer. I went by Waterfront and noticed all the trick steps were even with the trailer. To do that I would have to raise my wench at least three inches to get the clearance I need to raise the Trick Step. I am trying to save a lot of trial and error. Would raising the wench three inches effect my loading and unloading or should I just leave it as is?Another thought is to split the difference?
    My measurements were done with trailer on the hitch.

I just measured mine where I disconnected from my truck, so it's pretty close to actual tow height. The bottom of my bottom step is 16" and the bottom of my trailer near the step is 18".
    You said you needed to drill some off your winch post to get the top bolt to fit. I wonder if that has something to do with your final height.
    Look at mine in the post " best trailer steps" and compare to yours. You can see where I had to cut the winch post sleeve at a slight angle to allow the trick step to allow that top bolt to fit without drilling.
    2003 Stratos 185, Yamaha V150LTRB, Tempest Plus 25P

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach185 View Post
    I just measured mine where I disconnected from my truck, so it's pretty close to actual tow height. The bottom of my bottom step is 16" and the bottom of my trailer near the step is 18".
    You said you needed to drill some off your winch post to get the top bolt to fit. I wonder if that has something to do with your final height.
    Look at mine in the post " best trailer steps" and compare to yours. You can see where I had to cut the winch post sleeve at a slight angle to allow the trick step to allow that top bolt to fit without drilling.
    Thanks Coach. I did go back and see your pictures where you cut your wench post sleeve. I looked at mine and I could do the same and gain at least two inches. Then I would raise the wench only an inch. That would put me at at 16 and a half on the bottom step. That would do it. Actually I did not drill the wench post but a bracket welded to the back of the wench post where the tie down turn buckle hooks.
    Again thanks for the suggestion.
    Last edited by geodebasser; 12-29-2020 at 07:54 PM.

Glad to help. You're going to have to drill or slot the gusset once you cut the edge of the sleeve.
    Cheers,
    2003 Stratos 185, Yamaha V150LTRB, Tempest Plus 25P