Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hair Jig/NED Rig

A TW ad showed up while I was on another forum selling some ball head hair jigs and coincidentally, a Ned Head. It struck me that taking a hair jig to the belt sander and grinding the front flat would turn one of these hair jigs into a killer Ned Rig. The hair jig will hold a scent better than anything else, IMO. As a plus, it would catch 100x more fish per unit than a soft plastic doodad, so more fishing time and less fiddling.

Since I'm not likely to be fishing until at least March, if anybody tries this idea in the meanwhile, please let us know how it worked!!!
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

2. Member
    Nice concept. You got 8 weeks till march, get some heads and start tying!! Maybe try some craft hair too!! Interesting twist would be try some lindy fuzzy grub bodies on a ned head. Wide open with what you can do with them. Suddenly all those old baits in the basement got ned possibility if you take the scissors to them.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

3. Member
    Hair jigs, and a 101 Spin Frog will get your arms injured (at times).

I'll be fishing it all winter here in western Missouri.

Don't ask me where to find 101 Spin Frogs. If I find any, I ain't saying where.

4. Member
    Quite a few 101 spin frogs in my basement

6. Member
    Come on Alumicraft145, Don't tease me.

What ya got?

7. Member
    I gotta get in the basement seewhats down there. Not sure what's left. I just put my coffee down and reached over and found a jar of 1.5" mini chunks in black. I'm gonna try and make a basement trip after work tonight.. I'll drag em up.

Last edited by 188Musky; 01-03-2021 at 04:29 PM.

Those look great, Musky! I've probably got quite a few "trout" streamers that would work great slung around on a spinning rod from my days as a fly rod bum. Hell I used to chuck 6-8" streamers around in water people considered "unfishable" for giant brown trout. Caught a 28" one time that way in a stream I could almost jump across. I'm sure I've got some smaller stuff in the ol' war chest that would work.

Anyhow, I digress. I've tied bucktail on Ned jigs and caught fish on them. I've experimented with the maribou and zonker/rabbit strips too but never threw them for whatever reason, though I'm sure they'd work! I need to break out the vise again....
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

They work really well.

Most of the time, I use them a bit differently than a Ned rig. They are very versatile, though, and I have had days where keeping the jig resting on the bottom was the ticket to success.

I rarely drag or hop them on the bottom, but rather swim them in the water column, lifting, shaking, and twitching while moving the jig along. Contact with the bottom is only occasional. The rabbit strips seem to add durability, the ability to “float” the jig along by creating resistance, and carry water weight to make casting in the wind easier.

They are amazingly weedless and snagless in rocks, especially when made with a beaked hook like an Eagle Claw 500BP ‘Lil Nasty, or Mustad 32500 Skipjack hook. The Owner 5313 is beaked, and works great, too.

For those that don’t tie, here’s a link where you can get well tied marabou jigs on mushroom heads, right in Andrew’s neck of the woods.

https://www.thornebros.com/collectio...ts/tb-hair-jig

Those look sweet, but I can't do $9.99 for a marabou jig.

Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    Those look sweet, but I can't do $9.99 for a marabou jig.
    Me either.

Tying them yourself is cheaper, no doubt.

Doing what my fishing buddies do, show up with beer during a tying session, is even cheaper yet.

Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    Me either.

Tying them yourself is cheaper, no doubt.

Doing what my fishing buddies do, show up with beer during a tying session, is even cheaper yet.
    So you'll tie jigs for beer? You're my kind of businessman!

14. Member
    They work really well.

Most of the time, I use them a bit differently than a Ned rig. They are very versatile, though, and I have had days where keeping the jig resting on the bottom was the ticket to success.

I rarely drag or hop them on the bottom, but rather swim them in the water column, lifting, shaking, and twitching while moving the jig along. Contact with the bottom is only occasional. The rabbit strips seem to add durability, the ability to “float” the jig along by creating resistance, and carry water weight to make casting in the wind easier.

They are amazingly weedless and snagless in rocks, especially when made with a beaked hook like an Eagle Claw 500BP ‘Lil Nasty, or Mustad 32500 Skipjack hook. The Owner 5313 is beaked, and works great, too.

For those that don’t tie, here’s a link where you can get well tied marabou jigs on mushroom heads, right in Andrew’s neck of the woods.

https://www.thornebros.com/collectio...ts/tb-hair-jig
    The hair looks nice!!! Yeah i know the guy who ties them for Thorne. Hes a hell of a Musky fisherman!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hammy19 View Post
    The hair looks nice!!! Yeah i know the guy who ties them for Thorne. Hes a hell of a Musky fisherman!!!
    Luke is a friend of mine. He is a hell of a musky fisherman.

16. Member
    Luke is a friend of mine. He is a hell of a musky fisherman.
    I sent you a private message but i believe your in box is full.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammy19 View Post
    I sent you a private message but i believe your in box is full.
    Got'er cleaned out.

18. Member
    Almost too pretty to use!

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Those look great, Musky! I've probably got quite a few "trout" streamers that would work great slung around on a spinning rod from my days as a fly rod bum. Hell I used to chuck 6-8" streamers around in water people considered "unfishable" for giant brown trout. Caught a 28" one time that way in a stream I could almost jump across. I'm sure I've got some smaller stuff in the ol' war chest that would work.

Anyhow, I digress. I've tied bucktail on Ned jigs and caught fish on them. I've experimented with the maribou and zonker/rabbit strips too but never threw them for whatever reason, though I'm sure they'd work! I need to break out the vise again....
    Thanks, for using the correct terminology (Ned jig). I refuse to call it a rig. Rigs have multiple components...swivels, beads, sinkers, snells, spinners,etc. (Texas rig, Carolina rig, poppin' cork rig, 3-way rig, etc.) I mentioned this to Doug Stange, who kind of agrees, and Steve Quinn who came up with this terminology. I love Quinn's articles in IN-FISHERMAN, but this lure is simply a JIG! (We don't call a hair jig a hair rig).

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ydna View Post
    Almost too pretty to use!
    I was going to say they remind me of what old girlfriends use to wear in their hair back in the 80’s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast