Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Finally got compression numbers
    All cylinders where between 100-105 lbs

Replaced plugs and changed fuel filter also dosed tank with quickleen and quickcare.

Fired it up on the hose and idled much smoother i think plugs where fouled. Going to lake on satyrday to test!

2. Member
    did it by chance have plugs in it with PZ as first letters in the number , you might also want to make sure its got 130 degree thermos in it if not may need updated covers and stats
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    did it by chance have plugs in it with PZ as first letters in the number , you might also want to make sure its got 130 degree thermos in it if not may need updated covers and stats
    Plugs i took out where the correct ngks for the motor
    I will check out the tstats want to get it running right then go thru all the updates.

Just drained lower unit before test tommorow it was half full of water!!

Quote Originally Posted by MatC View Post
    Plugs i took out where the correct ngks for the motor
    I will check out the tstats want to get it running right then go thru all the updates.

Just drained lower unit before test tommorow it was half full of water!!
    Don’t run it til you get that corrected. These guys will take care of you. It only takes a little water to trash the lower.
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

5. Member
    Update went for a quick test today motor is running great boat gets right up on pad cruises up to 55 and falls off pad. So now i need driving lessons!

Thanks for the help everyone i believe the motor had been run so long with bad reeds it fouled the plugs.

Motor needed reeds and sparkplugs to run correct

6. Member
    ^^^^^^ exactly aught run good bit faster , what prop ?????
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    ^^^^^^ exactly aught run good bit faster , what prop ?????
    4 blade Trophy 24p plus
    Its dinged from previous owner i need to send it out and get it cleaned up. Gonna start measuring prop to pad i think im low which would make boat run high from my undrstanding
    I cant trim the motor level when boat is on trailer

8. Member
    even with trail dropped in front id get a known good 25 TEMPEST PLUS leave only one large hole plug in others out/ 24 prob gonna be too small when its set up right / did it bog when you tried to power load it on trailer ????

9. Member
    I never power load ive always just positioned trailer correctly and winched boat on with little effort.

I Do not feel a bog on hole shot, pops right up
    I did message previous owner and he said he only ever got it to 63 mph so something in setup is off.

Gonna start by trying to drop trailer and get prop to pad measurment and getting prop repaired or replaced. Theres a pretty good prop shop a couple hours from me.

This is the damage im dealing with
    I was gonna send it out cheaper than getting a new one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good idea to try it after that prop is repaired (and before making additional changes).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Good idea to try it after that prop is repaired (and before making additional changes).
    Couldnt agree more
    It took two trips to get motor running correctly because i didnt do plugs first time, only changed reeds. Now i know exactly what a fouled plug feels like.
    Changing multiple parts at once might fix the issue but you wont know what the actual problem was next time...

12. Member
    Got my prop to pad measurments and it was way off ended up being set at almost 5" below pad.
    So it looks like who ever installed jack plate never installed the side bolts to secure it after adjustment.
    Jack plate had probably slowly lowered over time.
    Feel like i dodged a bullet on this one as the jack plate could have seperated and lost the motor in the lake.

Getting some new stainless hardware for securment bolts and sent the prop out for repair.
    Also adjusted prop to 3.5" below pad and now can tilt my motor level with it on trailer..

You can see in pic there where never any bolts installed as aluminum looks un touched and has equal fading..

I have the same plate. There should definitely be bolts in those holes. Maybe the previous owner had shallow water anchors that he took off before selling and never put the old bolts back in. Also make sure the lock nut on the adjustment bolt is tight. Are you taking your prop to Phils?

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    I have the same plate. There should definitely be bolts in those holes. Maybe the previous owner had shallow water anchors that he took off before selling and never put the old bolts back in. Also make sure the lock nut on the adjustment bolt is tight. Are you taking your prop to Phils?

Lock nut is tight now, do you happen to know the size/ pitch of bolt that is suppose to go there?

Yes its going to to Phils. Spoke with them yesterday they are about two week turnaround. Im gonna pick it up in person so i have an excuse to fish shasta!

Quote Originally Posted by MatC View Post
    Lock nut is tight now, do you happen to know the size/ pitch of bolt that is suppose to go there?

Yes its going to to Phils. Spoke with them yesterday they are about two week turnaround. Im gonna pick it up in person so i have an excuse to fish shasta!
    I don't know for sure but I think it's 7/16 or 1/2 coarse thread, obviously stainless and with a flat and lock washer. You'll be hitting Shasta at the perfect time for a big spot.
    Last edited by Bryanmc57; 01-26-2021 at 01:59 PM.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I believe you'll find those to be 1/2" NC stainless bolts. The flatwasher needs to be pretty thick given the clamp area, and bolt length adequate to still reach all the way into the threads.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I believe you'll find those to be 1/2" NC stainless bolts. The flatwasher needs to be pretty thick given the clamp area, and bolt length adequate to still reach all the way into the threads.
    1/2" nc x 2" fit perfect thanks!

18. Member
    report back with max rpm and mph gains please after prop work and jackplate repair/adjustment

19. Member
    I think i found a leak!

20. Member
    id say so

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast