Question NMEA 2K Gateway Module

Can anyone tell me the length of the Mercury Nmea2k Gateway module (P#8m165589)? I currently have a 2013 Mercury 200 Optimax ProXS (Serial #1B978406) and I want to connect it to my Humminbird Ethernet Network so I can see engine data on my Humminbirds. I am going to be removing all of my gauges and mounting my Humminbird on the dash of my console so I don’t have any room for a Level 1 Mercmonitor on my console.

Everyone I’ve seen running the gateway module has the long blue mercury CAN cable running from their engine to the dash then connecting the nmea gateway module to it. However, if possible I would like to just connect the gateway module to the engine itself and then run a 10’ or 15’ Humminbird ethernet cable straight to the Nmea backbone coming off the module near the engine and avoid having to have the blue CAN cable. So I’m curious to know if the cable on the gateway module is long enough to run through the rigging tube of my engine or if it is too short and will have to sit in the rigging tube, which I think it will be way too big to sit inside the rigging tube with all of my other wires and cables. I also want to make sure all of this is compatible and will actually work with the stuff I have.
    Thanks
    2007 Xpress X19
    2013 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Humminbird Ethernet is not a NMEA2000 network. I do not believe it will work.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Humminbird Ethernet is not a NMEA2000 network. I do not believe it will work.
    Humminbird has a NMEA 2k to ethernet converter. I know that part will work. What I am unsure about is if I can plug the Gateway module directly to the engine or if the blue CAN cable is required.
    2007 Xpress X19
    2013 Mercury 200 Pro XS

4. Member
    almost pos youll have to use blue cable as well as other merc smartcraft pieces, check the HUMMINGBIRD forum youll find answer there o 3.0Lsection 2 down for your mtr also
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Mercury "speaks" Smartcraft and requires a Gateway device to convert to NMEA data. No blue cable, no device data.

Btw, your 200 is a 3L and has a dedicated forum - Mercury - 3 Liter & 3 Liter High Performance
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Duplicate thread. See answers in your other thread (closing this one).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor