Question on brakes

What's everyone thoughts on single axle trailer brakes compared to brakes on both axles?? I noticed that some trailer and boat companies have gone back to single axle brakes on dual axle trailers and now the dual axle is a option!! Personally i think that crazy on their part to do that, shouldn't cost them that much more!!

My thoughts---- brakes on both axles for the average bass boat trailer is not warranted and just added maintenance later. Unless your tow vehicle is undersized. JMO.
    What companies are going back to singles.? Around here I've noticed only a few bass rigs with brakes all the way around.

Only on 1 axle on my 21' and never needed more. I do believe that some states require that if you have brakes on a trailer they are on all axles.

4. Member
    I did one axle on my 23ft bay boat. Stopping isn't an issue at all. It wasn't the cost that kept me from doing both axles, it was the maintenance and the fact I just didn't need brakes on both axles to stop the boat.

5. Scraps
    I had to add the second braked axle. PA requires tandems to have brakes on both axles. Doesn't make a lot of sense, you can buy a single or tandem trailer with no brakes. Myself, I would always add the second set of brakes to limit the wear on my tow vehicle.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Another thing to consider... Different states have different laws.. a lot of it has to do with trailer capacity. For a long time brakes on most bass boat trailer was optional. When states started requiring brakes most makers just put them on so there was no worry about which state it was going to.

7. Member
    I know they were standard on Ranger for years.
    They are an option on a Caymas if you don't go the pro model.

Ranger was a leader in a lot of trailer options. Possibly even the first to make there own trailer.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Ranger was a leader in a lot of trailer options. Possibly even the first to make there own trailer.
    They were!

10. Member
    Each individual state has different requirements for any tandem axle trailer based of the GVWR and unladen weight, or even single axle trailer.

NYS- any trailer weighing 1000# unladen or 3000# GVWR must have brakes adequate to control it at all times independent of tow vehicle, and must be in good order in accordance with NYSDOT.

I just looked at the AAA website (digest of motor laws) that lists each states requirements.
    KY requirements are very lean or as my daughter would say they could give a care
    Mississippi on the other hand...
    Every trailer carrying over 1 ton, when operated on a highway, shall be equipped with brakes adequate to control the movement of the trailer and to stop and hold the trailer.
    Brakes on a trailer should be designed so that the driver of the towing vehicle from its cab may apply them.
    Brakes on a trailer should be designed and connected so that in case of an accidental breakaway of the towed vehicle, the brakes shall be automatically applied.
    Every new trailer, except a trailer of 2 axles of less than 2,000 lbs. GVW towed by an automobile, hereafter sold in this state and operated on the highways, shall be equipped with service brakes on all wheels of every such vehicle.
    2003 Stratos 185, Yamaha V150LTRB, Tempest Plus 25P

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    My thoughts---- brakes on both axles for the average bass boat trailer is not warranted and just added maintenance later. Unless your tow vehicle is undersized. JMO.
    What companies are going back to singles.? Around here I've noticed only a few bass rigs with brakes all the way around.
    As mentioned some state laws require it. For instance Maine and Connecticut, two states that are close to me require brakes on all wheels on any trailer over 3k.

When i bought my RV second axle brakes were an option there too, i chose them simply for the state laws on states i tow in.

Quote Originally Posted by jb882 View Post
    As mentioned some state laws require it. For instance Maine and Connecticut, two states that are close to me require brakes on all wheels on any trailer over 3k.

When i bought my RV second axle brakes were an option there too, i chose them simply for the state laws on states i tow in.
    Yes sir thats correct.. I mentioned that in post #6