Thread: Moomaw Lake

Moomaw Lake

Love this small lake in Western VA near the WV border near White Sulphur Springs. Heck of a smallmouth lake also. Anyone fish it this place regularly? Would like to keep it’s water conditions, fishing reports, and tournament results as current as possible on here. Any experiences also welcome.
    Last edited by RHuff; 12-31-2020 at 10:32 PM.

Our club goes 3 times a year (spring, summer @ night, and fall), and I usually make an additional 2-3 trips up there.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by RHuff View Post
    Love this small lake in Western WV near the WV border near White Sulphur Springs. Heck of a smallmouth lake also. Anyone fish it this place regularly? Would like to keep it’s water conditions, fishing reports, and tournament results as current as possible on here. Any experiences also welcome.
    I sure hope this lake is in western VA and not western WV as I've fished there twice without buying a WV license. Looking at the map I think I am OK. I've been there twice, both times with the club mentioned by "Coke" and I have to admit that this lake really puzzles me as it is unlike anything I've every fished before and it is one of the oddest shaped lakes I've ever seen. So much of the lake looks so good but it seems that I struggle to get a bite. My first trip I caught one fish and the second trip I caught three so my next trip I should catch nine fish? I'm hoping so. Definitely off the beaten path but when I went there this fall the foliage was spectacular. So far off the beaten path my GPS seemed to be off by several hundred yards.

4. Member
    I fished there yesterday. Water temps were 43-45 and clear (no noticeable stain from heavy recent rains). We caught about a dozen bass (50/50 LM and SM). Biggest LM just under 5 and biggest SM just under 3. Also caught a nice yellow perch.

20201230_084741.jpg20201230_100037.jpg20201230_092148.jpg
    Last edited by vascott; 12-31-2020 at 05:56 AM.

5. Member
    You certainly had a great day... Out of curiosity did those come from the lower end of the main lake or in the upper river section?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RHuff View Post
    You certainly had a great day... Out of curiosity did those come from the lower end of the main lake or in the upper river section?
    Most came from lower end but caught a few around the mouth of the river. Tried up the river but no luck.

7. Member
    I caught my PB smallmouth off the bluff canyon

8. Member
    You guys mean say off the beaten path - Is their any shopping or things for kids to do in late March or early April?

Nice fish! I need to make a trip up there.
    Wishing I was Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Erc1105 View Post
    You guys mean say off the beaten path - Is their any shopping or things for kids to do in late March or early April?
    Shopping? NO
    If you're looking for something to do besides fish and enjoy nature, then you better go someplace else. Lake Moomaw is up in the mountains and away from civilization, that's why we love it.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Erc1105 View Post
    Its in the sticks and I mean way in the sticks. Cell phone coverage can be very iffy but in the fall the scenery is spectacular. I saw a black bear swimming across the lake on my most recent visit.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    and I have to admit that this lake really puzzles me as it is unlike anything I've every fished before and it is one of the oddest shaped lakes I've ever seen. So much of the lake looks so good but it seems that I struggle to get a bite.
    . Me too! only been there 4 times.
    First trip I got there a few hours before dark. Set up the tent and then walked to the waters edge with a rod. Caught three nice smallmouth from the bank. Next day we caught 1 small mouth all day long.......
    I can catch largemouth up at the river mouth, but I am not driving that far to catch a largemouth. Just could not figure out the smallies.