Lakemaster aerial imagery VS Google Earth

Are the Lakemaster aerial photo layers for purchase in Chartselect better than the aerial photos on Google Earth? Are they detailed enough to zoom in tight and see laydowns and rocks in clear water like I can on Earth?

2. Member
    No, Google Earth is a lot better. The Lakemaster imagery is blurred.

3. Member
    Ok, thanks.

4. Member
    I agree with "Livingstonkid". The images are ok but not like on Google Earth. I created some images from Google Earth to load on my units. The resolution is surely lacking, however, I'm sure some of that has to do with the difference between a compter monitor and the unit's screen. My computer monitor has 4K resolution and my Solix has nothing near that. I created some very High resolution images from Google Earth but when I pull them up on my unit, they are somewhat "blurry" if you zoom very much. I can see the laydowns but they are not extremely clear. I also downloaded some Lakemaster aerial photos and they weren't as detailed as I was expecting. The Lakemaster photos tell you the year they were taken but it also depends on the month they were taken. I downloaded some from a year when one of the lakes I fish was very low but the lake was not low in the month that the images were taken so it didn't help me at all. That's why I like to create custom images from Google Earth so I can get the exact images I want.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike2718 View Post
    I agree with "Livingstonkid". The images are ok but not like on Google Earth. I created some images from Google Earth to load on my units. The resolution is surely lacking, however, I'm sure some of that has to do with the difference between a compter monitor and the unit's screen. My computer monitor has 4K resolution and my Solix has nothing near that. I created some very High resolution images from Google Earth but when I pull them up on my unit, they are somewhat "blurry" if you zoom very much. I can see the laydowns but they are not extremely clear. I also downloaded some Lakemaster aerial photos and they weren't as detailed as I was expecting. The Lakemaster photos tell you the year they were taken but it also depends on the month they were taken. I downloaded some from a year when one of the lakes I fish was very low but the lake was not low in the month that the images were taken so it didn't help me at all. That's why I like to create custom images from Google Earth so I can get the exact images I want.
    I assume you are building these via SAS Planet? I do the same with my Lowrance. For increased detail I had to zoom in closer to create the cache needed and I have just as good of detail on my unit as on my PC despite the resolution difference.
    06 Skeeter 20i Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Visit my Youtube Channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6p06navSpOqUn3xotG2vA

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alpine4x4 View Post
    I assume you are building these via SAS Planet? I do the same with my Lowrance. For increased detail I had to zoom in closer to create the cache needed and I have just as good of detail on my unit as on my PC despite the resolution difference.
    You are correct. I completely clear my Google Earth cache before creating any images for my Humminbird units. I use images that are zoomed to z21 but they are still “blurry” when loaded to my unit. At z21, there is no comparison between my monitor and my unit’s images. You can still make out some things but not with great clarity. I do suspect some of that has to do with the software that creates the images for the units. The images I have before converting to Humminbird format are very good. The images for Lowrance units are created as an at5 file. I’m guessing you are using Map Creator to create your at5 files. Humminbird uses a different format. You also have to do very small sections for the Humminbird units or it will not create the needed files. It’s really a pain if you are wanting to do big sections or even a whole lake. The at5 files for Lowrance can be several gigabytes and seem to have very good clarity when viewed on the units. With the Humminbird units, if you move to another area, you have to manually choose that section within the settings for the images to come up. It would be nice if you could create the Humminbird images the same way you can for the Lowrance units.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

You are correct. I completely clear my Google Earth cache before creating any images for my Humminbird units. I use images that are zoomed to z21 but they are still “blurry” when loaded to my unit. At z21, there is no comparison between my monitor and my unit’s images. You can still make out some things but not with great clarity. I do suspect some of that has to do with the software that creates the images for the units. The images I have before converting to Humminbird format are very good. The images for Lowrance units are created as an at5 file. I’m guessing you are using Map Creator to create your at5 files. Humminbird uses a different format. You also have to do very small sections for the Humminbird units or it will not create the needed files. It’s really a pain if you are wanting to do big sections or even a whole lake. The at5 files for Lowrance can be several gigabytes and seem to have very good clarity when viewed on the units. With the Humminbird units, if you move to another area, you have to manually choose that section within the settings for the images to come up. It would be nice if you could create the Humminbird images the same way you can for the Lowrance units.
    Good to know. Yes I'm using at5 files and they are massive. I have entire lakes done and they are big enough I had to do them in multiple sections as SAS planet would crash when converting them. Lucky for me the lake I need it most on also has Navionics and Lakemaster satellite images to choose from.

8. Member
    OK you guys, you hit in my winter project. What is the format that I should save my maps too? That hummingbirds use?
    I did get SAS Planet. Was just getting used to it. I got solix gen 2. With lakemaster plus. Any Tips!

9. Member
    Thanks for all the info. I made another thread asking what the best tablet would be to run Google Earth Pro on. I wanted to make sure the Lakemaster imagery was bad before I invested time and money into a tablet. I’m still researching on what tablet to purchase. Panasonic seems to make one of the better rugged tablets and the refurbished ones are in my budget. The problem is that they’re still not as bright as a Humminbird which is 1500 nits, the tablet is 800-1000 nits. That’s still a lot better than my cell phone which is around 500 nits. A tablet running windows is the way to go though and I plan to get one before spring.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OK_BassBum View Post
    OK you guys, you hit in my winter project. What is the format that I should save my maps too? That hummingbirds use?
    I did get SAS Planet. Was just getting used to it. I got solix gen 2. With lakemaster plus. Any Tips!
    You will also need AutoChart Pro and not just AutoChart. AutoChart Pro is the software that converts the images for use in a Humminbird unit. It is a pain to get the images to work on your unit. There is another software that is easier than SAS Planet. It is called Google Earth Images Downloader. Your will still need AutoChart Pro to convert the images. I haven’t had much time to mess with the software very much but so far it is much easier to use. It is easier to get your images but you will still only be able to do small sections at a time or AutoChart will not convert your images. You will end up with a bunch of different folders depending how much area you want to be covered. For example, a small 2000 acre lake took multiple folders to see the whole lake and you have to manually switch to the different folders as you travel to the different sections.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tk_duluthbass View Post
    Thanks for all the info. I made another thread asking what the best tablet would be to run Google Earth Pro on. I wanted to make sure the Lakemaster imagery was bad before I invested time and money into a tablet. I’m still researching on what tablet to purchase. Panasonic seems to make one of the better rugged tablets and the refurbished ones are in my budget. The problem is that they’re still not as bright as a Humminbird which is 1500 nits, the tablet is 800-1000 nits. That’s still a lot better than my cell phone which is around 500 nits. A tablet running windows is the way to go though and I plan to get one before spring.
    If you are wanting a tablet to view historical images while on the water, only the Desktop/Laptop version of Google Earth will display historical images. The phone version will not display historical images either. A “Tablet” that runs Windows may let you get historical images but I’m not sure.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

12. Member
    Yes, a rugged tablet with Windows running Google Earth Pro will show historical imagery and is the way to go.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tk_duluthbass View Post
    Yes, a rugged tablet with Windows running Google Earth Pro will show historical imagery and is the way to go.
    I wasn’t sure about a Windows tablet but that definitely appears to be be the easiest solution. I guess the hardest part now is finding one that is bright enough. If you find one that has good visibility in the sunlight, please let us know.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

I wasn’t sure about a Windows tablet but that definitely appears to be be the easiest solution. I guess the hardest part now is finding one that is bright enough. If you find one that has good visibility in the sunlight, please let us know.
    Agreed. Might be worth adding to the arsenal!

15. Member
    If anyone could tell me what processor, ram, screen, etc to look for then that would help me a lot since I don’t know much about computers. I’ve found some android tablets that are super bright marketed for use with drones. If you’re not concerned with the historical images that’d be a good route to go. Here’s one I found that will run Windows, there are a lot of options out there, this is just an example. It’s 1000 nits daylight readable which is twice as bright as an iPhone/iPad, but not as bright as a graph. https://www.xenarc.com/RT71-rugged-tablet.html

16. Member
    I feel like if someone could get one of these dialed in and then market these directly to bass fisherman they’d sell pretty well. It’d be nice if all sonar information just went to a box with Bluetooth or WiFi capabilities and the tablet was the only screen you needed. You could literally just have a 12” tablet that you move between the bow and console and clip into a docking station.

17. Member
    Tk, thats a decent tablet except for the 7 Inch 1280 x 720 HD720 IPS.
    If your looking for resolution, the 1080 or 1440 would be the best.

And thanks Mike for the info!

I did try using my wife's old LG G pad 7 inch screen, put I-pilot Link on it and Fusion Link.
    The HB Solix users guide, stuff like that. You could find me in the boat either under the dash with it
    or under a storage lid. It worked, but you couldn't see nada in the sun-light.

Last edited by OK_BassBum; 01-02-2021 at 12:07 PM.