Thread: Patoka Report

Patoka Report

The lake is at winter pool for the first time in a long time. Good time to go out and see some stuff that hasn't been exposed for a while. Water temperature was 43 at the dam and there is some thin ice in the creeks. Only bite I had was a 3 pounder on a jig in about 7 feet of water.
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

2. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    Well at least you caught a nice fish!
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

3. Member
    Any day spent fishing is a great day.....Wish I was closer to Patoka.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by doc201pro View Post
    Any day spent fishing is a great day.....Wish I was closer to Patoka.
    You would have to live with being constantly disappointed. The Dead Sea is tough!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by King31 View Post
    You would have to live with being constantly disappointed. The Dead Sea is tough!
    I fish for bass in Indiana. Constant disappointment is part of my day.....

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by King31 View Post
    The Dead Sea is tough!
    Which one?.. We have many..
    Last edited by BackLash625; 01-05-2021 at 08:39 AM.
    "Absence of Evidence does not mean Evidence of Absence."
    - Dr. Carl Sagan

I always find it interesting the complaints about Patoka. I've had one bad afternoon there, and it really wasn't bad. Buddy used to complain about monroe the same way.

Of course I fish salamonie and mississenwa, so I'm used to really tough days. Bright side there is always another lake to go fish around this part of the state, some of which are outstanding.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cubswin View Post
    I always find it interesting the complaints about Patoka. I've had one bad afternoon there, and it really wasn't bad. Buddy used to complain about monroe the same way.

Of course I fish salamonie and mississenwa, so I'm used to really tough days. Bright side there is always another lake to go fish around this part of the state, some of which are outstanding.
    Same here I don't get to Patoka to often but a few time a year, I never seem to have a horrible day always seem to catch something as I've been fishing it since it was built, back then the small pike were a nuisance.

Quote Originally Posted by red186 View Post
    Same here I don't get to Patoka to often but a few time a year, I never seem to have a horrible day always seem to catch something as I've been fishing it since it was built, back then the small pike were a nuisance.
    Never caught any there, didn't start fishing it until 1985. First time there I went to lip a 3lb fish about dark and had a hook go in the back of my hand. Had to make a trip into french lick to a dentist office (my dad was a dentist and knew the guy) to cut it out. Bluegills were big back then as well as the bass, and the weeds were everywhere.

Now days I fish it the way I fish missy and salamonie that have no weeds, and always seem to do pretty well. Worse day in recent memory I caught 2 4's and some dinks, missed one over 5. That was 2019 on a hot as hell august day. Wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either. Didn't go this year with the pandemic, just didn't want to stay at a hotel.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

10. Member
    No pike left in Patoka. When the state stocked them,,,they were all sterile so as not to reproduce. Pike ruined the smallmouth fishing in the lake. Last one I caught was about 8 lbs.

11. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    The last pike I caught in Patoka was probably in the early 90's. Some of them got to be pretty darn big. I had a buddy who hooked one that probably would have gone 12-15lbs. We got it to the side of the boat and it cut the line.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.