Thread: Ultrex twist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ultrex twist

Is the twist from the pedal to the head normal?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    The cable bundle is very stiff and will only fall a certain way. There have been a couple posts though about cutting the factory cover off and using a softer Velcro’d version (TH Marine has one). Lay it out and “untangle” the wires inside and it’s supposed to be more flexible and easier to get it to lay the way you want. Still considering it.

3. Member
    I put the TH marine velcro cover on mine. Best thing ever. The original started breaking and never laid well. They are only le $20. Do yourself a favor and get one.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Here is a cheaper wrap without the TH Marine name on it.

https://www.amazon.com/JOTO-Manageme...120733&sr=8-20
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

5. Member
    Is it easy to disconnect the cables to straighten out before recovering?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbender View Post
    Take your pedal loose, hold it straight away from the TM head and rotate it one direction or the other, then put it back on. There's no need for any replacement cable wrap unless yours is damaged or stiff. The older ones were stiffer than the newer ones.

7. Member
    Serial number P155MK00XXX, June, 2015 I think. Is this an older stiffer one?

8. Member
    Don’t think they were out in 15, were they?

9. Member
    Serial number P155MK00XXX, June, 2015 I think. Is this an older stiffer one?
    Yes. I don't think they changed them until a year or two ago at the most. Still, if it's not causing you any problems or you just want the cables to lay differently, twisting the pedal will solve that.

Took mine loose at the head end. Hardest part was getting steering cables back on the drum correctly. take pictures and mark the drum and cables with sharpie Bet theres some U-tube videos by now

Most will lay by twisting the pedal. After removing my cover it was clear why it was worse than the others I'd help to install . Mine looked like all the cables were interwoven on purpose. There was no way it could lay flat until they were unwoven. I have most everything else covered with expandable weave so while I had it loose I used it.. IMO much cleaner look. That and I HATE zip ties.. look unprofessional to me !!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Took mine loose at the head end. Hardest part was getting steering cables back on the drum correctly. take pictures and mark the drum and cables with sharpie Bet theres some U-tube videos by now

Most will lay by twisting the pedal. After removing my cover it was clear why it was worse than the others I'd help to install . Mine looked like all the cables were interwoven on purpose. There was no way it could lay flat until they were unwoven. I have most everything else covered with expandable weave so while I had it loose I used it.. IMO much cleaner look. That and I HATE zip ties.. look unprofessional to me !!
    What size/type and retailer did you get expandable weave?

This place has anything you might want. I don't remember what size for sure, somewhere around one inch. I use different sizes for lots of things mostly the heavy duty.
    WireCare.com | Your Local Cable Management Superstore!

13. Member
    Bring it to an ASC and ask them to change it to new style Jacket. It is much more flexible and softer. It will not get hard. If your Ultrex is less than 3 years old then it should be still under warranty.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    Bring it to an ASC and ask them to change it to new style Jacket. It is much more flexible and softer. It will not get hard. If your Ultrex is less than 3 years old then it should be still under warranty.
    Any idea what year they changed the jacket to a softer style

15. Member
    Mine somewhat looks like that. And yes mine is stiff to, my boat was built Dec. 2018. So, the trolling motor was probably built late 2018. Not sure if it has the new or stiffer cover.

I would need to unwire the 36 volt power cables to do the untwist with the foot pedal.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RGK456 View Post
    Any idea what year they changed the jacket to a softer style
    New Jackets came out earlier this year. Like Jan ,Feb.

17. Member
    So, mine has the stiffer jacket then? Assume a certified MK repair shop could install the new jacket?

18. Member
    Will need to find a dealer to replace mine with the more flexible jacket. Was right at 32 degrees Saturday morning, the cable would not bend, ended up breaking the small cover (Coil Cord Cover, MK Part 2298410) where the cable enters the head and had to remove one of my dual Helix Control Heads to even get the cable to lay where it would not lock up, the cable had to be in one certain spot to not lock up. I spend more time messing with the TM than fishing.

What a hassle, my TM is on a 2018 Dec build 2019 model Ranger. I wouldn't call that a jacket they installed, it is more like a slightly flexible plastic conduit, it would not bend, very poor design by MK IMHO!
    Last edited by RGK456; 01-11-2021 at 07:37 AM.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RGK456 View Post
    So, mine has the stiffer jacket then? Assume a certified MK repair shop could install the new jacket?
    An ASC will be able to replace the jacket. I would not wait to long to do it.

20. Member
    I just talked with MK, the new jackets are the same part number 2265430 $6.39. The Coil Cord Cover is part number 2296410 $2.19 each.

The jacket part numbers are the same as the older style, just made with different material.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast