PVS plugs new Mercury 250 4S.

I'm currently running a 250 Pro XS 4S on a 20 Gator aluminum boat. Started with the prop that I originally had, which was a 26 Fury 3, and I could only turn 5600 rpm. Went down to a 23 Fury 3 and can still only get around 5875 rpm on the top rpm trying everything on the atlas plate.

I seem to be about 5-7 MPH slower than the same boat with the same setup, and I'm running this same boat super light, so its probably more like 8 MPH. They told me they originally put a 24 pitch on this same current boat. I can't figure it out, and I recently upgraded to the new 4S 250 XS, and the dealer that installed rest assured me that they set the throttle correctly. Also, prop seems to have some blow out on takeoff if I drop my foot hard, but if I feather it it only has minimal blowout. Current hole shot is about 7-8 seconds.

I seem to be running about 350 rpm under peak rpm.

I'm thinking about going to a 24.5 Bravo I FS, but I don't want to be wasting, so much money on props. Do you think the 24.5 Bravo I FS would increase my RPMS over the 23 3 blade Fury?

Also, currently running all plug holes open, and I've been told the PVS plus have very little difference in the new 4s, since they have so much torque. Do you think I would notice any difference with the plugs installed?

PVS venting has no effect on top end speed or rpms.... Only slip on holeshot. Some slip is good. 4 stokes benefit less than 2 strokes. Bravo 1 props are slower than a fury3 with a light load 99% of the time....

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    I would be willing to bet you either have a hot foot , throttle cable, or setting issue. The cable has to return to zero before starting or you will not get WOT. I even had a two year old throttle cable separate and a dry hot foot that wasn't returning to mess me up. I would think you could turn the 23 but you have to get to 6100-6200 rpm's. Don't ask me how I know but WOT first before you start buying to many props

4. Member
    Go to your dealer.....have them plug in the laptop and stand there and watch as they show you the demand linear goes to zero and then 100% multiple times not just once....I went through this personally. Had to adjust my hot foot and the cable to get it correct.
    As for the prop...well.... I went through 5 props on mine...(23 Fury, 24 Fury, 23, 24 and 25 Tempest Plus)..they all ran within 200 rpms and 2.5 mph....I gave up and went back to the 23 fury because it was the 2nd fastest but best overall in any condition.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter66 View Post
    Go to your dealer.....have them plug in the laptop and stand there and watch as they show you the demand linear goes to zero and then 100% multiple times not just once....I went through this personally. Had to adjust my hot foot and the cable to get it correct.
    As for the prop...well.... I went through 5 props on mine...(23 Fury, 24 Fury, 23, 24 and 25 Tempest Plus)..they all ran within 200 rpms and 2.5 mph....I gave up and went back to the 23 fury because it was the 2nd fastest but best overall in any condition.