1st time boat owner and got a project.

First off I have to say that I am super excited to have bought my 1st boat. It will be a project to get it up to what I would like it to be but have plenty of time to get there.

I bought a 1996 195VF with an Evinrude 150, which needs to be loved. I will be doing a compression test on the motor later today (not worried about working on motor since I am very mechanically inclined), replacing the impeller and housing, changing oil in lower unit, trying to decide between doing a full polish on the hull or taking it in and having the nicks and scratches fixed, new carpet, new batteries (looking at the AGM's at Sam's Club unless I am told to go a different route), need new gauges, maybe a whole new dash on the console (all the help I can get on this), and installing some new electronics (2 Lowrance 9 Ti2).

As I wrote that I realized I have a lot more work to do then I thought. It doesn't all have to be done at one time but I do plan on getting most of it done before spring (located in MO). If you all have any advice, tips, tricks, do and don't do's, etc. I would be very thankful!

I posted this in the Charger section and a few people have replied with some really useful info. I am moving it over here to see what all other boat owners think.

2. Member
    "need new gauges, maybe a whole new dash on the console (all the help I can get on this)" I acquired a 2001 Xpress X 19 with a cracked dash panel, buggered console and some gages that weren't functional. My route was 1/8 inch HDPE black plastic (can buy in 4 x 8 sheets from most home improvement stores https://www.menards.com/main/buildin...2534930&ipos=1 ), cut to fit a wood backer. I used glue and rivets to give it an "industrial" feel. Not saying it's my best work, but for this boat, it works great. Pic is prior to final trimming/shaping etc... Side note, the HDPE is very moldable using a heat source, kind of fun to do a custom fit for other switch panels etc. But gives you the idea... Gages I had to hunt around for, but Amazon was pretty good for most. Keeping in mind, my budget on this rig is minimal.
    20200424_195850_HDR.jpg

3. Member
    The first thing to do is get the motor running and lake test it. If the motor doesn't run, the boats worth next to nothing. As for gauges, I could do without any of them. The speedo is inaccurate. The Tach doesn't really matter because the outboard will only turn so fast with the right prop installed. The fuel gauge is the only gauge I look at but I could always just look at the tank. Just make sure it runs good before you spend cash on the "looks" of the boat.

4. Member
    I guess I would argue the need for gauges. Most important would be a tach and water pressure if you ever intend to get a prop, setback and PTP dialed in. OR simply, if the motor is running up to expectations, like max recommended RPM, idle etc. Fuel gauge is pretty important (although, every one I have ever seen bounces or is relatively inaccurate) , trim can be helpful, but certainly not a necessity... I agree with the order of things... No sense messing with a lot of the rest if the OB is crap... :) Good luck man.

5. Member
    Compression on the motor has been done and is good. I have decided to put off doing most of the work until next winter. I am going to focus on doing wiring and making sure all my electronics will work.