Fuel filter change

I recently purchased a boat with a 2006 Optimax 115 with 230 hours on it. I bought it from a older gentleman that hasn’t run it for two years. Before the deal was finalized he took it to a dealer that replaced the impeller, a seal and the lower unit oil. They started the motor and confirmed that the computer showed no codes. I’m pretty sure the fuel filter and spark plugs have never been changed. I took the hose off the one end on the fuel box and drained some fuel into a glass, didn’t get much but I did get what I consider a lot of dirt for the amount of fuel. Is there a way to flush this out when I replace the fuel filter? What else should I do to this motor before I run it? Thanks!

2. Member
    which end front or back , front /filter end can be flushed cleaned easily make sure you dont get anything in passage that feeds inlet needle flooding or restriction will occurr
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Thanks Joe54. I just disconnected the fuel line from the motor and have discovered that the dirt I am seeing is coming from the fuel tank. I can pump it out but how’d oil clean the tank?
    i was talking about the red cap screw in fuel filter. Is their a second filter I’m missing?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slabhunter View Post
    Thanks Joe54. I just disconnected the fuel line from the motor and have discovered that the dirt I am seeing is coming from the fuel tank. I can pump it out but how’d oil clean the tank?
    i was talking about the red cap screw in fuel filter. Is their a second filter I’m missing?
    UPDATE. I pumped about 1 gallon straight from the tank and it finally cleared up. Hooked up to the motor and cleared up at the fuel box drain as well.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slabhunter View Post
    theres 2 chamber drains on that vst the back drain is for pump cavity / no just the one / if you dont pull tank you prob gonna get some more dirt keep eye on it
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    What "color" was this "dirt"? Have pictures?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    What "color" was this "dirt"? Have pictures?
    Brown sediment in the bottom of a glass jar. No pictures

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You may want to inspect the fuel lines, bulb, pulse pump. See the following link:

FUEL LINES AND PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    You may want to inspect the fuel lines, bulb, pulse pump. See the following link:

FUEL LINES AND PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS
    Good info. This is probably dead on because this boat hasn’t seen a lot of maintenance. Thanks

10. Member
    sat up for 2 years need changed anyway