Ranger 1882 reviews/thoughts

I’ve done some digging and there’s not a ton of info on the Ranger vs 1882 so hoping to get some owners reviews and advice if possible. I’ve got a Triton trx189 and absolutely love my boat but my kids are getting to that fun age where they love swimming and fishing but the bass boat isn’t cutting it with 4 of us. I love the layout of the vs 1882 and have found one local to me that I’m interested in. So, the one thing I’ve read is weld cracking issues??? This alone has had me looking at the Lund boats all morning online but I still like the ranger layout better. Any and all advice/reviews would be appreciated. Thanks!

Robin Wash
    Southern Ohio

2. Member
    No experience with an 1882 but my understanding is the deep V Rangers have been made in Lebanon, Mo, where Trackers are made, for a few years now. The only thing I have heard is my salesman said they had more problems with welds done in Flippin than in Lebanon. They are also a Tracker dealer so I guess they would have a comparison. My 198 is being made in Lebanon so I'm hoping for the best. I had other choices of course, but like you the lay out is what drove my decision. There are some up close pictures of the Lebanon welds on the Pro's Choice Marine website, specifically on an RT188P. A picture probably won't tell you much but Pro's Choice wanted to highlight them.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

3. Member
    I had the same dilemma a few years ago. It was between the lund 1775 impact sport and at the time 1780 ranger. I went with the Lund coming from a Ranger 392. Dealer was big thing for me and tons of Lunds up this way in the north country.
    2004 Ranger 520 vs
    2004 Mercury 225 Optimax

4. Member
    I have it's cousin, a Ranger VX1788WT, it was built in Lebanon last spring and I took delivery in May. The boat is solid, but had many QC issues, missing accessories, sloppy final assembly (and I'm still waiting on a part from Ranger), so if you buy one look it over with a fine tooth comb before towing it away. No weld issues at all.

I will say that if you compare the VS1882 and the VX1888 or VX1788 side by side, the VX boats are built a bit more sturdy. The gunnels on the VX are massive.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBoater View Post
    I have it's cousin, a Ranger VX1788WT, it was built in Lebanon last spring and I took delivery in May. The boat is solid, but had many QC issues, missing accessories, sloppy final assembly (and I'm still waiting on a part from Ranger), so if you buy one look it over with a fine tooth comb before towing it away. No weld issues at all.

I will say that if you compare the VS1882 and the VX1888 or VX1788 side by side, the VX boats are built a bit more sturdy. The gunnels on the VX are massive.
    I am actually looking to buy the vx1788WT. The last few I have didn't have the fit and finish that I would expect from ranger. Its the perfect boat size, but afraid of quality issues.
    2021 Ranger Aluminum VX1888DC
    2021 200 HP Mercury Pro XS Four Stroke
    Serial Number: