Best tool for cleaning grates

what do you use for cleaning your grill ? like to use something other than metal brush .

Cut a raw onion in half. Stick a fork in it and rub the grate with the flat side while the grate is hot.

2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

Do not use a wire brush. I damn near choked on a stray piece of wire.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....re+grill+brush
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Moderator
    Aluminum foil in a ball works really well. Push hard enough and it forms to the grates.

6. Member
    A quality brush is fine, I have cast iron grates so I use a brass brush IF I need to use anything at all.

7. Smallmouth Junkie!
    I use a weed burner to burn mine clean. Then go over with a scrapper to knock off the crusted debris and finally scrub with a non wire bristle brush. Then hit with a coat of non stick cooking spray. Works like a charm
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

8. Member
    I use Grill Cleaning Bricks (Kelfuoya brand). You can find them on amazon. They do an amazing job. Just prior to throwing the farm animal on the grill I use Grill Wipes (Grate Chef brand). This combo works well for me.

9. Scraps
    Pretty sure you kin also put them in the oven if they're really bad and incinerate the chunks off the grates.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

10. Banned
    Remove grates from grill, put them in a big trash bag and spray them real heavy with oven cleaner.Tie bag closed and leave them in the bag for a day or two. Take them out and hose them off.

I use one of those wooden paddles. You use it when the grill is hot. It burns slots into the wood and forms to the grate. Once in a while I will take the grates apart and soak them in the shop sink. I use hot water and a heavy duty scrub plastic scrub brush. Other than discoloration from heat....They look new.
    If you want a pig, flip a jig!!!

12. Member
    I normally just burn mine off, and then just use a common grate cleaner to takeoff the ash, never been a problem for me. I’ve done it this way for years.

13. Member
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

I just use a basic grill brush but I will avoid the one that looks like steel wool. Some came off, got in my stake and when it lodge in my throat I hurled my steak.

Every so often, I'll put the grates in the oven and turn on the self clean mode. They may take of some of the "seasoning", if that even happens with them but it gets all the crap off
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichSkeeter77 View Post
    I use a weed burner to burn mine clean. Then go over with a scrapper to knock off the crusted debris and finally scrub with a non wire bristle brush. Then hit with a coat of non stick cooking spray. Works like a charm
    Never thought of this!! Thanks
    I am a Crankbait junkie...I'm in a program...It ain't helping!