Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wow look at this tire!!

2006 triton tandem trailer with the ufp gold oil bath Hub and the DB-42 surge disc brake. Trailer has significant rust so doing a winter strip and repaint project on it. Pu))ed the fiberglass fenders off and found the tire with the brake on it, port side has wear but only on the inside top of tire. Inside bottom of tire has normal wear. Thoughts in what is causing this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

odds are since both sides are wearing the axle is bent or was never right to begin with--not that uncommon. I've owned about 10 boats in my life and had to replace axles on two of them for that reason. most folks don't pull enough miles to ever notice it.

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Could be a bad belt making the tire hop because it’s out of round.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    If thats the original tires put on in 06 your 10 years past lifespan of a trailer tire. Mine did that with C range tires . D range wearing better. My axle is bent a little but get 4-5 years out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Could be a bad belt making the tire hop because it’s out of round.
    Could be.. My response above---thought the pictures were two different tires.. after rereading op, same tire..
    My advise is to get new tires and watch for abnormal wear..

The tire with the wear is from being out of alignment. Bent spindle or axle. Pretty easy to figure by running a tape measure from each side of the tire while mounted. This will tell you if the tire is toed in or out.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

7. Member
    I have some inside wear on my single axle 2012 Ranger. Not quite as bad as the picture above. Tires are now 4 years old. I do tow a good bit because the closest lake I have to me is 150 miles round trip. Talked to the Ranger Trailer engineer and he told me it was more than likely a bent axle. He said there is nothing you can do about it but change the axle. He also said that since the tires were 4 years old I should just go ahead and change them out and then monitor the tire wear. If the inside tire wear is gradual and takes 4 years to show up, then leave the axle alone and just change out the tires. So that is what Im going to do first instead of just going ahead and spending the $500 plus for a new axle. Im not going to run my ST trailer tires more than 4 years anyway. Even if there is no abnormal inside tire wear.
    Last edited by Tromanoski; 12-25-2020 at 11:39 AM.

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    The tire with the wear is from being out of alignment. Bent spindle or axle. Pretty easy to figure by running a tape measure from each side of the tire while mounted. This will tell you if the tire is toed in or out.
    An alignment problem would wear an edge all the way around.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    I have some inside wear on my single axle 2012 Ranger. Not quite as bad as the picture above. Tires are now 4 years old. I do tow a good bit because the closest lake I have to me is 150 miles round trip. Talked to the Ranger Trailer engineer and he told me it was more than likely a bent axle. He said there is nothing you can do about it but change the axle. He also said that since the tires were 4 years old I should just go ahead and change them out and then monitor the tire wear. If the inside tire wear is gradual and takes 4 years to show up, then leave the axle alone and just change out the tires. So that is what Im going to do first instead of just going ahead and spending the $500 plus for a new axle. Im not going to run my ST trailer tires more than 4 years anyway. Even if there is no abnormal inside tire wear.
    Might want to look elsewhere (trailer parts superstore) last axle I bought was under 150.00 with hubs.

10. Member
    Take it to a good frame shop, they can tell you if it's out of alignment and fix it if it is.

11. retired military technici mt72916's Avatar
    i would suspect badly out of round, or badly out of balance. causing a lot of wheel hop.

Ranger 2002 175 DVS F115 Yamaha
    Ulterra SI, Helix 9 MSI G3 on bow and console
    2007 2500 6.7 Diesel Ram 2015 Crusader 294RLT
    fish DeGray lake in April & October

12. Member
    yup, not balance or out of alignment.

13. Member
    One Im not going to do the work so there is at least $125 an hour shop time to get it changed. Two Ranger parts are expensive and overpriced. A couple of my fishing friends had their dual axles on their Rangers changed out and they were in the $900 range. One did need to have a brake caliber on one side replaced. But I will double check for sure what the axle will cost. The Ranger engineer did tell me the manufacture's part number is stamped on the bottom of the trailer frame. Suggested I could take a picture of it with my phone and get it directly from UFP/Dexter if I did not want to go through Ranger Parts.
    //
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Might want to look elsewhere (trailer parts superstore) last axle I bought was under 150.00 with hubs.
    Last edited by Tromanoski; 12-26-2020 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    One Im not going to do the work so there is at least $125 an hour shop time to get it changed. Two Ranger parts are expensive and overpriced.
    //
    I'm cheap and hate to pay someone to do anything that I can do. Odds are the op's Triton has a UFP axle thats economical easy to find.

15. Member
    How long have those tires been on the trailer?

16. Member
    There is a possibility the rim is bent or had something under one side of it when the wheel was tightened. Spin it and check for lateral runout at the rim edge.

17. Member
    Axle or spindle is beast or out of alignment.

18. Banned
    If you suspect a bent axle REPLACE IT NOW.
    I went through hell with blown wheel bearings for 2 years until I finally replaced mine. One time on a father/son trip to Florida we got just south of Jax and a bearing went. Spent 11 hours (was a Sunday) and $1100 before getting back on the road. Another trip south I got into North Carolina and had to put my boat on a flatbed to take to the garage that did the repair. It was there that they pointed out my bent axle. One "good old boy" jacked up the trailer, put a jackstand under the axle, then bounced his nearly 300#'s on fender step to straighten it out. Have to admit it stood tall and straight unlike the squat position I had become used to. Thanked them, went on my way and blew the bearing on the opposite side 140 miles down the road. I'm having palpitations just reliving this tale.
    Anyway, when I got home I ordered and installed a new axle (cost $207) and towed it for over 5 more years without another incident.
    Just sayin', a bent axle can and will lead to a "shit show".

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuckbass View Post
    2006 triton tandem trailer with the ufp gold oil bath Hub and the DB-42 surge disc brake. Trailer has significant rust so doing a winter strip and repaint project on it. Pu))ed the fiberglass fenders off and found the tire with the brake on it, port side has wear but only on the inside top of tire. Inside bottom of tire has normal wear. Thoughts in what is causing this?
    Seems like you're saying that 1 brake was hanging up, which could contribute to the odd wear and possible cambering of that wheel.
    How was the bearing play for that hub? or for all of them for that matter? too much play will give you camber and hop at high speeds especially.
    How did the trailer go down the road when being towed?
    Did it dog track to either side?
    How good are the springs?
    I used to have a 60 Tons Rogers Lowboy that always wore tires badly due to axles alignment being a triple axle.

20. Member
    Thanks for all the comments and food for thought. I havent had time to get back at it and look at the bearings but will share what I find.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast