Wraps on Tin rigs?

So, due to a narrow concrete culvert incident several years ago, my RP had a battle scar down the entire port side. Rather than repainting, I had "addressed the issue" by putting a wrap on. The first one was a 3/4 wrap, only went from the water line to the gunnel area. Was awesome looking, different, and the guy who did it gave me a steal due to placing his logo on it. In any case, that one lasted for about 4 years, never peeled at all, only love bumps on trees and stuff (normal river wear and tear). CAM00387.jpg
    So, opted to try another wrap (again, guy gave me a steal with trade in advertising). However, this was a full wrap, looked great, seemed like a thicker material. But, after one season, it started peeling from the bottom up and ripping. Thankfully the guy stood behind his install and redid the wrap... 20180405_120622.jpg

Fast forward another year, same gig. Did a redesign, decent deal again.... Now I am in the same boat (pardon the pun). Wrap looked great and seemed to hold up OK then, started ripping/peeling from the bottom up. h1xAjk8BT1e6VP86g%kpXg (1).jpg

So, is the answer in hydraulics? Or is it the type of adhesive? The type of wrap material? OR is it the full VS 3/4? Anyone else have experience with this? TIA

2. Member
    on Lake Hartwell in Westminster, SC 29693
    I'm sure he is sealing the edges?

maybe need something more substantial

what's something like that run?

3. Member
    I wrapped mine 3 years ago, used 3M products, and I haven't had a single problem. It has stayed in the water 4 days straight, but not any longer. I have checked the adhesion several times after extended trips and the wrap was still tightly adhered.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ecoast View Post
    I'm sure he is sealing the edges?

maybe need something more substantial

what's something like that run?
    Yeah, edges were sealed/glued. As far as cost, it really depends on the applicator and what equipment they have. My boat is a 17'6" model, so not super long. Retail can vary anywhere from $500-$1000 I guess...

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ct0218 View Post
    I wrapped mine 3 years ago, used 3M products, and I haven't had a single problem. It has stayed in the water 4 days straight, but not any longer. I have checked the adhesion several times after extended trips and the wrap was still tightly adhered.
    A friend of mine said the same thing about the 3M, hard to believe it could be that different, but then again.... Who knows. Thanks for the response.. .