Tight steering question

Question about the steering on my 2003 Stratos 185 with Sea Star hydraulic system. I have a V150TLRB Yamaha VMax with a Mercury's Marine Tempest Plus 25P. PTP is 4.25"
    The hydraulic system was bled recently. The trim tab is turned all the way to the right.

While driving my boat today I was able to get her up to 62mph, but noticed the steering was really tight turning left. Turning right is easy and smooth, turning left hard and tight.
    Steering is fine at idle, smooth and easy both directions. As I get up on Plane the steering starts to tighten up. Trimming up doesn't seem to help the tightness. The faster I go the harder the steering gets. The only issue is turning left. Right turns at any speed are fine.
    I was thinking the trim tab may have something to do with it but it is turned all the way to the right.
    With the amount of torque the Tempest prop puts out would it contribute to the hard steering to the left?

Any insight on what causes this steering issue. I have read numerous posts about hard steering to the left, but no real explanations on what causes it. Is it a steering system issue or a prop torque issue?

I wasn't sure where to post this question(Stratos or Yamaha) so I'll start it here.
    2003 Stratos 185, Yamaha V150LTRB, Tempest Plus 25P

Right hand rotation prop...your trying to turn left against the force of the prop.

Trim tab should be out of the water when trimmed up and running balls to the wall. I have a similar model 18xl and really like the Yamaha 25 pitch prop. I have hit 62 by myself loaded and very happy with the hole shot and top end
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

Found this from a 2016 post:

When running at speed, you cannot just yank the wheel to port and expect the boat to turn as quickly as it would to starboard. The propeller creates a tremendous amount of Torque to STARBOARD, which must be overcome when attempting to turn to port.

Lowering the TRIM, and DECELERATING helps to compensate for this.

5. Member
    I’ll get bashed for it, but my 201 had the same issue. Ended up adjusting the torque tab fixed it after other attempts didnt.
    I like Big Bass, I cannot lie

Spoke with Jerry T yesterday on the phone. Good conversation and he made a couple of recommendations. Adjusting the angle of the trim tab was one.
    He also encouraged me to add a jack plate to achieve adjustment of the PTP and it also moves the motor back to get the prop into less turbulent water.
    Jack Plate isn't in the cards right now, so I am going to start with adjusting the trim tab and see if it makes some improvement.

The boat didn't used to have this issue so I started thinking of what has changed that could contribute to the issue.
    1) Bled the steering hydraulics - this shouldn't have any negative reaction to the steering, only positive
    2) Prop refurbished- this could have had a negative effect on the steering as the prop now performs better. In my mind that equates to more torque from the prop. RPM's haven't changed but I am getting more speed so the prop must be preforming stronger.
    3) Operation of the boat. I am driving the boat faster than I had previously, triming up more than I have previously. I'm not smart enough (yet, lol) to understand the cause and effect of speed/torque/trim but do know the steering is fine at low speed/torque/trim and gets harder the faster I go. So I will need to continue learning the operation of the boat with more butt time.
    So when the weather cooperates I'll be on the water

7. Member
    Most boats with hydraulic steering have the trim tab removed and an anode replaces it. Most of the time you have hard steering with hydraulic steering the problem is attributed to too high a setting on the transom and or too much trim angle. I would remove the trim tab and run it to see if that helps you and go from there. It won’t cost you anything but time. You can also try lowering your mtr but proper tools are needed to do that and knowing you don’t have a jp that can be a issue. You can also try changing the prop.