Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What new Techniques for 2021?

Haven't fished much last few years due boat issues and lack of time. Seem to have those sorted out and intend to do more fishing this year. I power fish too much I guess as I can't seem to put a crankbait down. In the past I was stuck on soft plastics and caught a lot of fish but got board or burned out. Early this fall I was throwing some swim jigs and swimbaits just to fish something different

2. Member
    JERBAITS!!!! Great bite!!!
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

3. Member
    Not a new technique but I plan on reviving spinnerbaits... Pretty much gave up on them for many years... Coming up in mid January will be " spinnerbait week". Gonna take a week and pull all the old ones out of storage, put some new skirts on, do a full assessment of what I got. Just picked up a nice lot of the swap board also!! Found an old all star spinnerbait rod in storage I forgot about. Plus bought a few 6 ft rods for throwing small spinnerbaits. Wanna really try slow rolling some single spins.
    I also plan on setting up for fishing old school... Twitching a floating rapala/ rogue and a devil's horse. Got away from them over the years, just found a box of them.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

4. Member
    I’m throwing big swimbaits this year, no dinks allowed.
    I like Big Bass, I cannot lie

5. Member
    I have said i am gonna fish a drop shot and shakey head this year for about 5 years in a row . Still hasnt happened.
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

6. Banned
    I need to give the drop shot a chance on my home lakes instead of just up north. The amount of success the pros have fishing a drop shot in all conditions is too much to ignore.

7. Member
    Gonna give the Carolina rig more time. Got on a decent chatterbait bite this fall excited to try it more this spring. I have never fished a lipless crankbait until this year but it has become one of my confidence baits now.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alumicraft145 View Post
    Not a new technique but I plan on reviving spinnerbaits... Pretty much gave up on them for many years... Coming up in mid January will be " spinnerbait week". Gonna take a week and pull all the old ones out of storage, put some new skirts on, do a full assessment of what I got. Just picked up a nice lot of the swap board also!! Found an old all star spinnerbait rod in storage I forgot about. Plus bought a few 6 ft rods for throwing small spinnerbaits. Wanna really try slow rolling some single spins.
    I also plan on setting up for fishing old school... Twitching a floating rapala/ rogue and a devil's horse. Got away from them over the years, just found a box of them.
    A slow rolled spinnerbait around drop offs has proven to be an amazing big fish catcher for me over the years. I, like you, have strayed from that in the last couple of years.
    2009 Triton 21X3 250 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    2 Lowrance HDS Live 12s at bow w/ Active Target
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 and 12 at console
    2 8' Power Pole Pro Series

9. Moderator
    Jigs.

10. Member
    I don't really intend to do anything new in 2021...I've moved so far away from how I was successful in the past that I'm interested in getting back to my roots so to speak. I grew up fishing the river sections of our reservoirs with jigs, spinnerbaits and buzzbaits. I got so wrapped up in being "versatile" and learning new things each year that my fishing suffered. My new techniques will be re-discovering old ones!
    2009 Triton 21X3 250 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    2 Lowrance HDS Live 12s at bow w/ Active Target
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 and 12 at console
    2 8' Power Pole Pro Series

11. Member
    Every year I try to get back to throwing spider grubs and mid size crankbaits that I used to do well on but when the fish don't bite the first couple of times out I go right back to dragging plastics for the year and don't give it a chance when the water warms up. I want to fish more carolina rig on the reservoirs and more jigs most other places
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax

i am horrible for jsut using Jigs, Crankbaits, Spinnerbaits etc and power fishing and not finesse fishing and i fish one of the best Finesse lakes in the midwest but man i suck at it.
    really need to do it more thats for sure but i say that every year and never do. maybe '21 will be the year i actually do it.

13. Member
    No new techniques for me. Just simplification, if they won't hit a jig throw a grub. If the wont hit a grub throw a jig.......

14. Member

15. Dogfish_Jones
    This past year was my year to try a lot of new technics. I did not have that great of a year for numbers of fish but I did get comfortable and some confidence in a good many new baits/lures.
    This year, I’m going to take the best of what I’ve learned this year and put that into my rotation with what has been my go to baits in the past.
    I’m hoping for the numbers and size to increase this year.
    These lures will always be tied on a rod/reel and on my deck this year.
    1- Ned Rig
    2- Swim Jig
    3- Lipless crankbait
    4- Spro’s crankbaits (covering from 1’ to 25’)
    5- Carolina Rig
    6- Spinnerbait
    7- Jigs
    8- Flipping a Rage Craw
    9- Top water Spooks
    10- Texas Rig
    11- Chatterbait
    Last edited by Dogfish_Jones; 12-26-2020 at 06:14 PM.

16. Member
    Maybe get back into crankbait fishing but next year i want to focus on becoming proficient with the techniques I currently do instead of incorporating something new
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

17. Member
    Had my first consistent results with crankbaits this season - I hope to expand on that this summer when the bass drop below 16'. Also may attempt to commit to a swimjig for a few outings.

18. Member
    Dark Sleeper. I'm dedicating a specific rod/reel just for this. Hopefully it motivates me to figure those little dudes out.

19. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by M1RT View Post
    Dark Sleeper. I'm dedicating a specific rod/reel just for this. Hopefully it motivates me to figure those little dudes out.
    Ive got a buddy who loves those things. I kid with him and call them the Midnight Creepers, but he catches quite a few on them things. He just says they tear up real easy, you might get two fish per lure if your lucky.
    I bought him 9 last year for his birthday, he was like a little kids when he saw them.

20. Member
    I cannot catch a Dark Sleeper fish,can’t no way no how. I hop it and slow roll it ticking the bottom. Maybe that will be my 2021 goal.
    Red Sox in 6!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast