Best month on Green River Lake

If you were going to rent a house for a month what time span would you rent? I know a lot is dependent on weather but as a general guide what do you think.

Im thinking mid April to mid May.. Or maybe late April into late May.

What says you?

Can you be more specific...what species are you looking for and are you looking for numbers or wanting a big bite.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    Can you be more specific...what species are you looking for and are you looking for numbers or wanting a big bite.
    Would like a mix of bass and crappie. Not much on those nasty smelly musky down there. I can catch them without ever trying. Might throw out some jugs for catfish just to see what happens as well.

Based on the criteria of "mix bag of bass and crappie, plus might throw out a jug for catfish" I would say the month of June.

5. Member
    If youre wanting bass and crappie the month of april is about as good as you can get. Maybe even start the last week of march
    They aint got hands, set the hook

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    If youre wanting bass and crappie the month of april is about as good as you can get. Maybe even start the last week of march
    Thats kinda what I was thinking which is why I might try for mid april into mid may. Would give me a little leeway as I kinda think we might have a little longer winter than we have recently.

7. Member
    Based on the criteria of "mix bag of bass and crappie, plus might throw out a jug for catfish" I would say the month of June.
    Youre from the area so obviously know the lake better than me but I’ve heard the summer is the worst time of the year to fish green
    Murray State Alum
    2007 Champion 210 with all the toys

Quote Originally Posted by BloodRiverBandit View Post
    Youre from the area so obviously know the lake better than me but I’ve heard the summer is the worst time of the year to fish green

I think dead of winter is the worst time to fish Green but if you heard that summer on Green can be tough then you did hear correct in my opinion...Summer begins around June 21 every year if my memory is correct. If we have an early heat wave I have seen the latter part of June become tough but you can almost guarantee its going to get more tough in July and buy the time August gets here it will be darn right brutal until we see some cooling of the weather in mid to late September.

Regarding my June answer I specifically ask the OP what species he was after. His answer was a mix of bass and crappie and he might throw out a jug for catfish. The throw out a jug for catfish really puts a curveball into the equation so I suggest June as the best month to contact all three species he was inquiring about. If I were to be more specific in my answer and give a time frame instead of a month it would have been May 15 through June 15 because...crappie at mid depths that can be caught multiple ways, bass moving deep but still have some shallow so multiple ways to make contact and catfish headed to the banks to lay eggs so they are active. Now if you remove the curve ball of catfish from the equation I have a TOTALLY different answer. ...

9. Member
    I think dead of winter is the worst time to fish Green but if you heard that summer on Green can be tough then you did hear correct in my opinion...Summer begins around June 21 every year if my memory is correct. If we have an early heat wave I have seen the latter part of June become tough but you can almost guarantee its going to get more tough in July and buy the time August gets here it will be darn right brutal until we see some cooling of the weather in mid to late September.

Regarding my June answer I specifically ask the OP what species he was after. His answer was a mix of bass and crappie and he might throw out a jug for catfish. The throw out a jug for catfish really puts a curveball into the equation so I suggest June as the best month to contact all three species he was inquiring about. If I were to be more specific in my answer and give a time frame instead of a month it would have been May 15 through June 15 because...crappie at mid depths that can be caught multiple ways, bass moving deep but still have some shallow so multiple ways to make contact and catfish headed to the banks to lay eggs so they are active. Now if you remove the curve ball of catfish from the equation I have a TOTALLY different answer. ...
    That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation!
    Murray State Alum
    2007 Champion 210 with all the toys

10. Member

Thanks for that info. Let me take out the curve ball and remove the catfish from the equation. What would your answer be then? I can always just make quick one day trips down there for catfish later in the summer.

Once again thank you for your response. Green is by far my favorite lake and I have fished it a lot but im not from the area so I dont have the knowledge you have.

11. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    The last two weeks of March if looking for a pig and first two weeks of April if looking for numbers. Bass and crappie will be full of eggs so they will be at their heaviest weight of the year. Crappie might spawn a tad earlier than bass but every year the first big wave of bass hit the banks around April 15. I want to intercept them before they get locked on a bed so hence why I say last two weeks in March for a pig and first two weeks in April if looking for numbers. The larger females always go a couple weeks earlier than the first mass wave. To show how confident I am in that statement I have took anywhere from 80-100 hours vacation in that time frame every year for the last few years. In 2021 there is window of 17 days in a row that I already have approved off work and I only work 8 days out of the 30 day period I mentioned. Now with that being said that's the time of year when it can be snowing one day and 70 degrees the next. If you get two or three days of stable warm weather it can be on like donkey kong but a front can turn it off like a light switch.
    Last edited by JR19; 12-29-2020 at 01:20 AM. Reason: 8 not 10

12. Member
    The last two weeks of March if looking for a pig and first two weeks of April if looking for numbers. Bass and crappie will be full of eggs so they will be at their heaviest weight of the year. Crappie might spawn a tad earlier than bass but every year the first big wave of bass hit the banks around April 15. I want to intercept them before they get locked on a bed so hence why I say last two weeks in March for a pig and first two weeks in April if looking for numbers. The larger females always go a couple weeks earlier than the first mass wave. To show how confident I am in that statement I have took anywhere from 80-100 hours vacation in that time frame every year for the last few years. In 2021 there is window of 17 days in a row that I already have approved off work and I only work 10 days out of the 30 day period I mentioned. Now with that being said that's the time of year when it can be snowing one day and 70 degrees the next. If you get two or three days of stable warm weather it can be on like donkey kong but a front can turn it off like a light switch.
    Thanks for the info. So it looks like depending on weather conditions I would probably roll with April or run with mid April to mid May. Of course all this depends on lodging being available. This is all just thoughts about what I would like to do in the future but still helps me know what months to focus. So far what you are saying seems to line up with my experience down there.

When ya go, just please don’t put any of those big bass in a skillet.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yankswon96 View Post
    When ya go, just please don’t put any of those big bass in a skillet.
    Nahhh I dont... If anything goes to lake Crisco its spots crappie and catfish. Bluegill if I can get better at catching the red ear in the summer. Every good sized bass go back.