Help describing this bass pattern.

Hi all. I have figured out how to consistently catch bass at the moment at one of my fishing spots, but I'm not sure how to describe why they are bitting so consistently at this same spot. Or, how to take this pattern and use it to fish other parts of the lake. Would anyone care to explain what is going on?

Bait: Texas Rigged Zoom 6" lizard brown speckled with a watermelon tail.

Location: I am catching the spot within a 100 yard area at the end of a creek. This creek is one of four that flow into a large shallow bay that ultimately narrows for about 300 yards and flows into the main river. The bay is very muddy due to the water being so shallow and its floor being dirt dumped from the creeks. The bay and the creek are filled with stumps from logging pre flooding. Boating toward the creek mouth the bay gets shallower and shallower; ultimately, it is a foot and a half deep before narrowing at the creek mouth. Once at the mouth there is the channel that varies from six to ten foot deep. The channel is roughly 30 yards wide in a 60 yard creek bed. The clarity roughly lightly stained, about 4 feet. The temp is around 44 degrees F. I'm catching the bass in the channel working the lizard. After going up the channel about 100 yards, the depth is the same, but the bite starts trailing off. Also, if I try fishing the channel leading out of the bay to the river, I also do not catch anything. However, staying in the creek channel at its mouth, I can catch about six to eight bass an hour.
    Last edited by Flunderblunder; 12-21-2020 at 09:51 PM.

2. Member
    44* water in Alabama this time of year? That seems too cold for the weather we've been having.
    Appears to be a typical ditch pattern,common in winter. Not all ditches have bass but those that do are usually loaded. And your pattern seems to be the ditch near the main lake.

To me that sounds like a pretty classic wintering spot for "resident" creek/bay/backwater fish. They drop back to the first place they feel safe from weather changes and water fluctuations, and stack up there. I suspect they stay closer to the bay because that's where they live and feed, so it's a shorter trip during feeding windows. This one seems like a perfect storm as, based on your description, it's at somewhat of an intersection for a major creek (plus more creeks?) and the bay. John Jackson said it well, you might fish 15 similar spots and not find anything, but when you do find them you really find them!

I think any fish that head out the other direction probably don't stop in the channel as they're headed for the main river to winter.

I'm guessing you have tried fishing the deepest part of the channel in the other creeks that feed this bay? Or are they much shallower?

You might also try following the creek channel to the other end where it starts shallowing out to see if fish stack up there after pulling back from the upper reaches of the creek.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

Any updates on this? Curious as to what you may have learned over the last couple weeks if you've been able to fish!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360