Might have a report coming.

Hey guys I might have a report coming!! I see the rock quarry in Atlantic ia is still open because of birds and warmer weather. I looked at it Sunday before church. My hope is to get out Thursday (not to hopefully with the very cold weather) or Saturday? I’ve fished it before and caught a few nice bass out of it. Most of the time it is tough but there is some nice pan fish and hybrid bass in there so maybe I can find a school and drop a jig down on them. Anyway just getting out on the water will feel good!!

2. Member
    Sorry no report coming today. With the last too cold nights the rock quarry froze over. :-( I looked at it Thursday when I was in town doing some Christmas shopping with my daughter all looked good but 3* low temps took care of that. That was Probably my last shot at open water fishing in Iowa, now wait for spring I guess.

It’s alright. At this point, I’m just ready for things to freeze over so I can get on the ice for a month or so.

4. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redog View Post
    Hey guys I might have a report coming!! I see the rock quarry in Atlantic ia is still open because of birds and warmer weather. I looked at it Sunday before church. My hope is to get out Thursday (not to hopefully with the very cold weather) or Saturday? I’ve fished it before and caught a few nice bass out of it. Most of the time it is tough but there is some nice pan fish and hybrid bass in there so maybe I can find a school and drop a jig down on them. Anyway just getting out on the water will feel good!!

Guess you'd be talking about Schildberg's quarry/quarries, correct? We used to catch some good bream out of the one just north of Hwy 83, beside the Nishnabotna River. Had access to a bunch of great farm ponds around the area as well... That's all been 40+ years ago... Good times!

I graduated with one of the Schildberg girls (Beth) from Atlantic High School in 1980... Moved away for college in 1984... My little brother still lives in Atlantic.
    Who controls John Gill?

5. Member
    Yes sir you are correct... There are some amazing farm ponds around still to. Unfortunately I don’t have that many I can fish. I’m sure there’s some new state records swimming around in a pond right now:-) I’m hoping we get some good rains this spring because there’s 2 really good lakes that I can’t get my boat into to fish (Viking lake is one of them). Soon we will find out I’m hoping early March for open water.