Issues w/ Mercury Pro XS Optimax 225

I was looking for advice on whether this motor is worthwhile or not. Looking at getting a 2017/2018 Ranger Z519 and both come w/ the above engine. When I called my local service location they said to stay away, that while there are lots 2 stroke out there, the quality of the 4 stroke isn't worth going that route. Said the 2 stroke doesn't last as long and is more expensive to maintain. Are they being melodramatic or would I be better off w/ a different boat/engine? (If I were to get it and something happened, could I put 225 4 stroke on it?)

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Moving your question to the correct (3L) forum for you.

Perhaps a "little" melodramatic.

I agree that the 4-strokes are going to prove more durable and long-term dependable.

I agree that the quality will (based on above) be better overall.

I do not agree that the 4-stroke will be "cheaper" to maintain... overall, the maintenance costs will be "similar" (excluding the cost of the DFI oil you feed the Optimax every time you put fuel in it).

A good starting point would be to obtain and provide the Serial Number of the engine you're looking at, also check out the "Checkout Recommendations for a Buying a Used Engine" in the FAQ Section at the top of the Forum.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks. Service manager said they take longer to deal w/ so I figured that resulted in more cost associated w/ maintaining it.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KramerDk View Post
    Thanks. Service manager said they take longer to deal w/ so I figured that resulted in more cost associated w/ maintaining it.
    which ones take longer 2 or 4 strk ?????
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    I know I am in the minority, but I have a 225 2 stroke Pro XS and wouldn't trade it for a four stroke.

7. Member
    thats what im talkin bout
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    I talked with 2 other dealers in the area and they both said the same thing. So I’ve decided to go either newer ranger w/ 4 stroke merc or other brand Yamaha.