Trailer dolly for dual axle trailer

I need to make a 90 degree turn from the street into my driveway up an incline, on one side stands a brick wall and I can't see anything when my tow vehicle is on street level and my trailer is up the incline. I can get it in with guidance but one, the wife doesn't like being that guidance, two I want to get in by myself.

Do the manual tow dollies work with dual axle trailers? I won't need to turn much, mostly just finish backing it in without hitting the brick wall... It would also be nice to angle the trailer once it is in to give me some more room in the attached carport.

The Trailer tracks wonderfully, and on level ground where I can see it is so easy to maneuver, this incline with "brick wall" level consequences of messing up drives me crazy, not to mention the impatient *******s that cut through our subdivision at twice the speed limit.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Maybe a camera would help. The dolly would be tuff to use if there is an incline.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Maybe a camera would help. The dolly would be tuff to use if there is an incline.
    The steep incline is the first car length of my driveway, after that it levels out pretty good. The problem is my tow vehicle is on the incline while the boat is fairly level above me, I just can't see squat. I might try aiming with my home cameras... I can try it out tomorrow!

I still want a manual dolly if they work with dual axle trailers if anyone has any experience.

4. Member
    Can you mark the driveway in a way that you can see it? This would give you confidence to proceed.

I use a Trax Power Dolly in my business....incline/declines should be no issues. I move 30’ plus center consoles, 24’ wakeboats, car haulers, etc. No issues.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

Do the manual tow dollies work with dual axle trailers? I won't need to turn much, mostly just finish backing it in without hitting the brick wall... It would also be nice to angle the trailer once it is in to give me some more room in the attached carport.
    Yes it will work with a tandem.
    All it's going to do is hold the tongue for you. It's still going to take a lot of effort to turn. If its on any angle it will do it's best to run over you.
    If you can unhook and do what you want with just the trailer dolly then you can do it a little easier with a manual tow dolly. I don't know what they cost but it would be nice if Santa would bring you a motorized dolly..
    Good luck.

7. Member
    I am hoping pulling up my cameras on my phone will work... Like I said, the trailer tracks beautifully, I just can't see the brick wall, I see my roof in my side mirrors and the boat completely stuffs the rear view mirror, I can't angle the mirrors enough to see the boat or wall when I am at the point where I would be hitting the wall... Also, I only backed it in twice, I am confident with more repetition I will learn the "just right" spot to turn her in.

8. Member
    I don't see a dolly turning a loaded tandem trailer.

I have the same type of problem that I solved by adding a front trailer hitch to my F150. Costs about 200 bucks but I can put the boat anywhere I want with the front hitch.

Front hitch would probably solve your problem and very easy to install. Available from most trailer supply places. I bought my last one from etrailer.

10. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    A guy I know mounted a wireless baby monitor camera on the front of his garage and carried the display with him. When he got home, he could see the trailer from behind as he backed in. Worked well and cost nothing since their kids were older.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kcinnick View Post
    I need to make a 90 degree turn from the street into my driveway up an incline, on one side stands a brick wall and I can't see anything when my tow vehicle is on street level and my trailer is up the incline. I can get it in with guidance but one, the wife doesn't like being that guidance, two I want to get in by myself.

The Trailer tracks wonderfully, and on level ground where I can see it is so easy to maneuver, this incline with "brick wall" level consequences of messing up drives me crazy, not to mention the impatient *******s that cut through our subdivision at twice the speed limit.
    Have you tried backing from the other direction?
    Wes

12. Member
    I just put my boat away for the winter - so I like to park it as close to the house as possible so the wife doesn't complain how much dead grass there is come spring time underneath it.

When i back in the boat during the spring/summer/fall months, I use a wyze outdoor cam for $50 (has a battery in the cam) https://wyze.com/wyze-cam-outdoor.html

Much like a baby monitor but you can view it on your phone when backing in - if you are blind, just use a old ipad or android tablet for a bigger view (they not expensive)

Camera is removable and has a magnetic base, you can even tape it to something for a temp mount. Works great if you just place it on the back deck of your boat when backing in.

13. Member
    I keep my boat in a boathouse so usually I am just backing the trailer in without the boat. The manual dolly work s fine for that but I haven’t tried it with the boat. It wants to run away with me in the driveway which has a decline. I bet with the momentum of a heavy boat it could end up in my foyer.

14. Member
    Well, Using my home cameras works... but be careful of lagging... As long as I take it slow I can see where to put the boat but I still will have a set of eyes that can signal if I am going to hit the wall since the cameras run slightly behind on my phone.. and the rate that they are behind varies. The cameras don't lag on wifi, only when accessing through the cell network.

15. Member
    Maybe an electric dolly like this may work. I have been thinking about getting one.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086SDRDYN...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

I ever get rich I'm going to have one of those.
    Older I get the more I like it.

17. Member
    Have you thought about installing a driveway mirror on the garage or even on a stand-alone pole in the yard?

18. Member
    I had the same problem when I lived in CA. My fix was a front hitch on my truck. I had to make a 90* turn from a very narrow street and go up a steep driveway. Backing was really hard with my truck and camper.