Hard Jerkbaits on the St. Johns / Florida waters

Maybe this has been asked before and I apologize if this is a duplicate question / thread.

I was wondering what is the best color hard jerk bait on the St.Johns esp for beginners?
    I was having dock conversation with a guy at the ramp and he suggested that I not use any Visions 110 because the hooks are too light and its more of an open water lure.
    He only recommend a beefed up tackle system because the bigger fish would only break me off whenever I get a bite next to the pads or the bottom structure. I have been
    trying to get better at this technique on the SJR regardless of time of year but I dont seem to have a knack for it. I am looking to renovate my tackle per say and start afresh.
    The SJR has tantic water most of the year so I was thinking maybe a lucky craft pointer 100 would work or just an old school rapala HJ10.

I have a cork crucial 6'8" med x fast and curado 50E that I have been using for popmax's on ponds but after doing a google search of Med xfast rods uses, i read that its more
    geared towards topwater and spinnerbaits. So maybe i need to goto another rod? Looking for suggestions. Thank you in advance and Merry Christmas to all

2. Member
    Add original bomber long A to the rapala and pointer. And in the tanic water gold or gold flash is a good color.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    Add original bomber long A to the rapala and pointer. And in the tanic water gold or gold flash is a good color.

Thanks.
    taking off this 8lb test too, now
    I appreciate the help

Also try tossing it with Braid and a P-line leader, I use 30 pound Diawa Braid and 10 pound P-Line leader, about 2.5 ft long.

Spanky

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky06 View Post
    Also try tossing it with Braid and a P-line leader, I use 30 pound Diawa Braid and 10 pound P-Line leader, about 2.5 ft long.

Spanky
    thanks ����
    I have some braid in the garage that I will use. Asgesi? I’m not sure the spelling but
    I appreciate the tip

6. Member
    Great question but a loaded question with a lot of answers. I don't get the vision 110s comment form person you were talking to? A lot of money is won all around the country with those baits. If the hooks are to light than upgrade keeping lure performance in mind. Do some research on rods that suit your budget. ALX makes a great jerk bait rod. I fish edge rods and use a light reel since the technique can be tiring. In addition try different lines. I am a braid fanatic and will use it with jerk baits but I normally do not. Reason being, it floats too much for me. 10-15 flour for me most of the time.

I recommend tying a few different ones on and fishing Salt Run. Great place to learn how to jerkbait fish. Jerkbait there can be awesome.

IMO in comes down to one thing..... go out a few days and throw nothing else. Folks throw it for 10 minutes and wonder why they did not catch anything. Finally, check out tactical bassin. They have done some good videos. Just be mindful they have become about selling product via TW so take it with a grain of salt.

7. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I don’t get the 110 answer either, my best day ever came on a 110 last year and I bought 4-5 after that day just because I was so amazed! Oh how they get us !

Strike King 200 series are my go to jerkbaits this time of year. Pro Blue and Pro Bone are my top 2 slightly stained waters.
    Rapala Shadow Rap Shad jerkbaits run more shallow and are a little smaller but have a great profile. I almost always have one tied on.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

8. Member
    Vision 110 for me. I remove the middle hook to make it float if I'm fishing it over Eel grass.