Stiff sea-star steering

Stratos 201, Merc 250XB with 6" manual jackplate. Prop is 3.5" below pad. When trimmed out and anything above 50mph, steering to the left is impossible. You can take your hands off the wheel and it will track straight but you have to let off the gas some to turn left. Any ideas how to cure this would be appreciated.

Trim tab ? Not sure if yours has one.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

3. Member
    It’s not a trim tab. The wedge under the anti- cavitation plate is a torque tab,but on most bass boat set ups it’s out of the water water at speed,so it’s useless. You need a torque wedge from T&H marine. It fits on the stbd side of the skeg and practically eliminates steering torque like you are having.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    250 XB should already have a Torque-Tab cast into the skeg.

Seastar Steering is traditionally a Hydraulic System. Let's make sure that's what you have- and also:

-What is the number on the Cylinder (tag on front)?

-What is the DIAMETER of your steering wheel?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    It’s not a trim tab. The wedge under the anti- cavitation plate is a torque tab,but on most bass boat set ups it’s out of the water water at speed,so it’s useless. You need a torque wedge from T&H marine. It fits on the stbd side of the skeg and practically eliminates steering torque like you are having.
    I miss typed. Torque tab is what I meant.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

6. Member
    Boat is in storage for the winter. Steering is hydraulic. I will check the number on the cylinder in the spring and reopen the discussion. Thanks!

Before I added a 6" Hyd Jack Plate, I would trim up to about 3/8's on the gauge and it would be like power steering. After installing the JP, it was less than a 1/4. Anything more and it was very hard to turn. My guess is you're trimming up too much.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

8. Member
    I had same issue on my 04 Champion 188 elite 200 evinrude. I bled it twice only took about an 1/8 of a quart and made a very big improvement. But it is still a bit harder going left. Im thinking about the tourque tab myself.

9. Member
    Like Don said, the XB has a built in tab on the starboard side of the skeg. System may need bleeding though. Thanks for your input.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    Before I added a 6" Hyd Jack Plate, I would trim up to about 3/8's on the gauge and it would be like power steering. After installing the JP, it was less than a 1/4. Anything more and it was very hard to turn. My guess is you're trimming up too much.
    Amount of trim doesn't seem to affect the stiffness, it's a speed thing. Rooster tail is about even with the top of the cowl to free the hull up.

11. Member
    Mine was the same way, felt like I was going to break something trying to steer left. Torque tab adjustment fixed it immediately on mine.
    I like Big Bass, I cannot lie

12. Member
    Hi Don, The part number on the cylinder is HC5345 and the diameter of the steering wheel is 13.75"

13. Member
    Hi Don, The part number on the cylinder is HC5345 and the diameter of the steering wheel is 13.75"
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    250 XB should already have a Torque-Tab cast into the skeg.

Seastar Steering is traditionally a Hydraulic System. Let's make sure that's what you have- and also:

-What is the number on the Cylinder (tag on front)?

-What is the DIAMETER of your steering wheel?

14. Member
    Following. I have the same issue with an Etec motor though. I have been thinking about the wedge addition to the skeg

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clayshooter View Post
    Following. I have the same issue with an Etec motor though. I have been thinking about the wedge addition to the skeg
    Not sure about the Etec but I dropped my motor down 1/4" on the jack plate and it made a dramatic improvement. Torquemaster has a built in torque-tab so I knew that wasn't the route for me. I did have a Faststrike on a previous boat and had to install a torque-tab on it though. Maybe your Etec will be the same.

16. Member
    I’m pretty sure that’s the right answer. Just haven’t ordered one yet

Went through this issue with my 2003 Stratos185.
    I'll need to figure out how to copy and paste the thread where it was discussed. Thread name Tight Steering Question
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1097858
    2003 Stratos 185, Yamaha V150LTRB, Tempest Plus 25P