Vmax 250 wouldn't start

I have a 2003 VMax 250, VX250TLRB, went fishing a couple of weeks ago and the starter would engage but not turn the flywheel, it just clicked. I tried a GB40 jump pack and also tried jumping the cranking battery with no difference. Charged the batteries that night and no better the next two days. Ended up fishing the weekend on my TM.

When I got home I put in a new starter, hit the key and it would engage but not turn, just click like I had for the weekend. Not sure why but I got the bright idea to turn the flywheel by hand about a half turn. Hit the key again and motor started right up three times in a row. Now I suspect that the starter wasn't the problem but I haven't taken the time to put the old one back on to find out.

Considering this is a 17 yr old outboard am I looking at a possibility of something serious going wrong internally here? Is there something else that I should look at or have my mechanic look at?
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax

2. Member
    I think I would verify electrical connections before jumping to any further conclusions. Obviously at the battery, at the terminal block and also at the starter. A little dielectric grease after cleaning the connections may help. If you can turn it effectively by hand with the plugs in, it may indeed have some normal wear, but technically, it should spin easier.... Not more difficult. If it runs fine otherwise, not so sure I'd be as concerned...

I'd get the NAPA 7234 battery. How old and what size battery is it?

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

4. Member
    Does this motor have starter relay? If it happens again you need to check voltage at the starter while trying to start it. Some motors will turn over with less volts than others. Battery is almost dead when it gets in low 12’s but all batteries are a little different. Some will charge over 13 some high 12’s. Relay might going bad not allowing enough volts and or amps to pass through

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    I'd get the NAPA 7234 battery. How old and what size battery is it?
    Battery is 1 yr old and is a beast a Crown 31HDC130

I dont see any cranking specs on that battery...

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

7. Member
    I dont see any cranking specs on that battery...

Not sure what that is but specs on 31HDC130 are 1000MCA, 800CCA, RC200/25A, 130AH

Those are specs for your motor.

9. Member
    Those are specs for your motor.
    I figured that out. Previously I had a Deka 1131MF commercial battery and it stranded me twice. I think my flywheel was just stuck for some reason after I spun it and the motor started. Not sure if this motor has a relay for starter or not but I'll look at boats.net and check

10. Member
    Another thing worth looking at is the bendix (gear assemble that engages with the flywheel). It rides up with the cranking then is supposed to drop back down after she starts. If it is stuck in the "up" position, it may bind. Some appropriate lube has alleviated similar issue with my 175 Sportjet. Just thinking of other options here.

11. Member
    That’s fine but you need to make sure you are getting the right voltage at the starter. Check now while it’s working so you will know what it should be if it happens again. If it happens again check voltage at starter if it’s the same you’ve got another problem. If it’s low your not getting the right voltage. Lubeing the bendix is normal maintenance

12. Member
    How do you lube a bendix?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidergrub View Post
    How do you lube a bendix?
    In a pinch simple WD-40 (or similar will do), however, ideally a non-dust gathering alternative might be better in the long run. IE silicone based lubricant. You can manually rotate the bendix so it slides up and spray preferred lubricant on the area. Should loosen it up quite a bit if that indeed is the problem.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallie_Hawgin View Post
    In a pinch simple WD-40 (or similar will do), however, ideally a non-dust gathering alternative might be better in the long run. IE silicone based lubricant. You can manually rotate the bendix so it slides up and spray preferred lubricant on the area. Should loosen it up quite a bit if that indeed is the problem.
    Motor is starting right up with the new starter although as I said before it didn't the first time. With both the old starter and the new starter the bendix would pop up and make contact but would not turn the flywheel. As I said before I turned the flywheel manually a little bit and every since then the bendix hits the flywheel and the outboard fires right up like it always has. Almost seems like the flywheel was stuck.

I do want to put the old starter back on and try it again now that everything seems to be working to see if the starter is working now that the flywheel is unstuck, just put the new starter back in the box and keep for a spare

15. Member
    Well ,did you put the old starter on and try it ?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger-85 View Post
    Well ,did you put the old starter on and try it ?
    No, I haven't yet. Been spending my time hunting. Was thinking about taking the old starter to a auto parts store and see if they could test it.

17. Member
    10 4 about the Hunting ,Best way to test is to install it and try it Let us know