Hello, I used this and another forum to get through a weird hiccup on my HDS-Gateway GPS-Xi5 install. I had no NMEA 2000 network experience prior to doing this and while it seemed simple I was ready for anything to happen. Well...except for one little detail.

Got everything hooked up and went through the power-up steps to have my HDS NOT start the updates needed to the trolling motor. It just sat there while every video I had watched went immediately to an update process. I could see the NMEA was active with BUS On and data being transmitted. I did a restore to defaults which helped just a little by placing the Trolling Motor panel next to an open chart. I could also see the MG components in the network device list which was REALLY frustrating. When I opened the Trolling Motor panel, the dreaded "No Autopilot Computer" error was given.

I fiddled with things all day until I found a weird piece of advice tucked away on Walleyecentral.com. The GPS pinpoint gateway connector and the Motorguide network connect have arrows on their respective plugs which need to line up to work. Unlike every other connector in this system, this one is not keyed and can be done the wrong way. I did not read this anywhere in the setup instructions or see it on any install video. But when I lined them up and restarted my NMEA the update started and finished just as expected.

Hoping this finds someone going through the same experience I did and saves them some time! Tight Lines.