Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Umgettinbetta View Post
    Listen man this is just my second bass boat. I haven't been in the sport very long at all. This yr makes 6 total. My first boat was a ranger r70 sport and I loved that lil boat. Picked it up for cheap because I didn't wanna invest too much not knowing if I was going through a phase(ie: mid life crisis). The fishability of that thing was really awesome!! Thing about it though I outgrew that boat fast and I knew I was ready for bigger better. I had my eye on triton from day one.. Particularly for the storage. I never wavered started saving and came across this really nice 01 with not a ton of motor hours. I love this boat and I get so many compliments at the gas pumps and the boat ramps.. Make me feel really good about it. The front deck is rather small for a 20ft boat but I'm learning to manage it. Should have done lil more research on different brands as the X series is the one I wish I'd of waited round on. But I'm totally satisfied with this boat. I'm getting used to it with each outing. I can reach 70mph with half tank at about 5500 rpms and with more trim to go I should be able to get another 2 to 4 more mph in her. A month ago I couldn't go faster than 62 so I can definitely tell I'm getting better. Soon very soon I feel I'll be able to hold 70 and maybe reach top end.
    I think you have misunderstood my comments. I am not judging you at all. You ask specific question and I answered them with 10 years experience driving the TR. I spent the first two years doing what you are doing trying to get the best performance. Everything I have told to was to try to help you. Lots of guys on here gave me a lot of bad advise. My advises to you were from real experience. My best performing set up was BB 25 1 large plug set at 1 3/4 - 2 1/4 below pad. 6" manual jack plate. At higher altitudes I would remove the plug. The hole shot will be slow but it will be easier to drive at WOT. Altitude matters. My experience 0 - 1000' not much change but when I would run at 1200 or more it really affected performance.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SCOTT39 View Post
    I think you have misunderstood my comments. I am not judging you at all. You ask specific question and I answered them with 10 years experience driving the TR. I spent the first two years doing what you are doing trying to get the best performance. Everything I have told to was to try to help you. Lots of guys on here gave me a lot of bad advise. My advises to you were from real experience. My best performing set up was BB 25 1 large plug set at 1 3/4 - 2 1/4 below pad. 6" manual jack plate. At higher altitudes I would remove the plug. The hole shot will be slow but it will be easier to drive at WOT. Altitude matters. My experience 0 - 1000' not much change but when I would run at 1200 or more it really affected performance.
    I'm not sure if if my response came off wrong but I'm totally not offended and I take all comments as advice. I thank you for the comments

3. Member
    I'm not sure if if my response came off wrong but I'm totally not offended and I take all comments as advice. I thank you for the comments
    One other thing you might want to try. 4 bladed Prop 25 or 26. It will improve your hole shot but you will lose a little top end. I think when I tried one I lost maybe 1.5mph. The reason I didn't like the 4 blade was because I could not power up on my trailer. Sometimes your local marine dealer have props for demo.

4. Member
    Haven't gotten a chance to take the boat out in couple days and it's killing me! I NEED MY SEAT TIME!!  But on a serious note the few times I was out and did a bit of fishing boy I was missing my ultrex!! Lol. I bought a 80# 24v system for my 17ft ranger and I'm missing the ease of use and spot lock. The fortrex that came on the boat is awesome. It's a112# 36v system that's powerful and works great but how would the 24v 80# ultrex perform on a 2001 triton tr20? That ultrex is only a year and a half and I'm not quite ready to drop another 3k for a 36v ultrex system. This is not exactly a 24v versus 36v question but more so I wanna know will the 80# 24v ultrex perform... Hold its on sort of speak on a 20ft boat

Thanks fellows!!
    I have a 03 Tr 20 with a 80lb ultera. It does just fine. It will run 2.5 mph.

5. Member
    Update fellows. Been spending lots of time in my 01 tr20. Starting to get dialed in and understanding the steering adjustments. Been able to hit and hold 70 consistently. Hit 71 once. I'm told this boat will run 75-77 but how do I get 4-5 more mph when I've reached max rpms at 5800. Also and this is the most serious part of my question, I know I've got to watch water pressure. I had boat serviced and all guages checked out. So to my knowledge the water pressure guage is working properly. You guys say WOT should maintain 15psi..this is not a problem at all. It seems the faster I go the more pressure I get. I'm running 5800 rpms and over 25psi could this be due to the 4 little holes in the nose that helps more water in?

I still have not set up the boat any different from how I bought it. I don't know ptp but I'm running a 03 225 opti 25p tempest on a 6in manual plate that appears to be set to its highest peak. Hole shot not great but I'm dealing with it

6. Member
    Not sure you will see 75-77 out of this hull but anything is possible i guess. Keep in mind there may be just a tad bit of embellishment on top speeds on this board.
    2020 Caymas CX21 Pro
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Serial# 2B686100

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqpitboss View Post
    Not sure you will see 75-77 out of this hull but anything is possible i guess. Keep in mind there may be just a tad bit of embellishment on top speeds on this board.
    Haha OK! Thanks for that. But what you think about water pressure at 70mph being just over 25psi? Should I be tweaking something or just leave it be

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqpitboss View Post
    I will second this post. No way you get that with an opti. You can't squeeze blood out of a turnup. I just got 74.5 and right at 6000 this weekend with my freshly rebuilt 06 Pro XS. Stock 25 Fury by myself 1/2 tank.
    Last edited by SCOTT39; 03-07-2021 at 01:25 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234