Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OverTimeAgain View Post
    I'm not positive but I run a 27m yamaha prop, 3" below pad and got like 18 water pressure.

Fairly loaded down usually too, 3 27 size lead batteries in back, and 1 31 size agm. Livewells always empty.

I am also like on the rpm limiter in the winter, normally right at 6k rpms.

I think if I lightened my load, and got a bigger prop I could probably get up higher speeds.

That being said, once my 320lb partner gets in the boat with his shit, my top speeds are usually between 67-69.
    I can honestly be satisfied here. I do tournament fish as most of us do but I've never had the kinda juice where I need to be there first lol...my fish finding skills are not great at all, So having the fastest boat has never been a priority. I'll be more satisfied that I can hold a higher speed without the same engine strain. If I can some how get this but set up to run 70 WOT...that means I can run 60 everywhere I go which is alot faster than 45mph what I was used too!! But all that being said you don't buy a corvette to cruise around in lol. I'm sure I'll wanna make her eat from time to time

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Umgettinbetta View Post
    I can honestly be satisfied here. I do tournament fish as most of us do but I've never had the kinda juice where I need to be there first lol...my fish finding skills are not great at all, So having the fastest boat has never been a priority. I'll be more satisfied that I can hold a higher speed without the same engine strain. If I can some how get this but set up to run 70 WOT...that means I can run 60 everywhere I go which is alot faster than 45mph what I was used too!! But all that being said you don't buy a corvette to cruise around in lol. I'm sure I'll wanna make her eat from time to time
    Yes you will want to learn to drive it screaming. The mistake I made early was being too tense. Relax. When you get nervous just trim down and make another run at it. At first I could only get mine to 68-69 and hold it for a few seconds. One day I looked at GPS and was running 71.8 with both wells full and could hold it. Just be patient and enjoy the process.
    2017 TRITON 21 TRX ELITE DC
    2023 250 MERCURY PRO XS
    23 FURY 3
    Z LOCK 10" JACKPLATE
    LOWRANCE GHOST 36V
    Garmin 93sv
    Garmin LVS34
    Rite Hite Turret
    HDS 12 GEN 3
    HDS 9 GEN 3

3. Member
    I don't tournament fish, I just like scooting around in my boat.

It is pretty darn satisfying outracing a lot of new boats

4. Member
    Was out in the boat yesterday fellows. I must say I was proud. I've used so many of the tips you guys offered and got her up to 5400 rpms and 70mph!!! I put the 25p tempest on and was able to make some improvements. By no means am I comfortable but progress is progress. Do tritons like a lot of bow lift to run optimally?? It seems the bow is still nose down and I'm not all that trimmed out. Water pressure was about 25 psi. I still haven't messed with the plate height and don't know the ptp height.

5. Member
    You have plenty of water pressure. I would find out what you PTP is and go from there. Sounds like you are getting close.
    2020 Caymas CX21 Pro
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Serial# 2B686100

6. Member
    With a temptest you will want to be around 2 3/4" to 3" below the pad. You will get it.
    2017 TRITON 21 TRX ELITE DC
    2023 250 MERCURY PRO XS
    23 FURY 3
    Z LOCK 10" JACKPLATE
    LOWRANCE GHOST 36V
    Garmin 93sv
    Garmin LVS34
    Rite Hite Turret
    HDS 12 GEN 3
    HDS 9 GEN 3

7. Member
    Was out in the boat yesterday fellows. I must say I was proud. I've used so many of the tips you guys offered and got her up to 5400 rpms and 70mph!!! I put the 25p tempest on and was able to make some improvements. By no means am I comfortable but progress is progress. Do tritons like a lot of bow lift to run optimally?? It seems the bow is still nose down and I'm not all that trimmed out. Water pressure was about 25 psi. I still haven't messed with the plate height and don't know the ptp height.
    That's awesome numbers. I would not do anything. Only a 4% slip. I BB'd my prop and could only get it down to around 8%. I am wondering if your rpm is off. Was that GPS?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SCOTT39 View Post
    That's awesome numbers. I would not do anything. Only a 4% slip. I BB'd my prop and could only get it down to around 8%. I am wondering if your rpm is off. Was that GPS?
    Yea that was gps.

9. Member
    When I was doing research on this particular style and yr of triton I saw a lot of reviews saying the boat was good in rough water. What you guys say to this. Also part of another question I had was does this boat need a lot of bow lift? Like does it like to run high. I know I had more trim but also felt I was about topped out at 70mph but the nose seem like it was still in the water

10. Member
    When I was doing research on this particular style and yr of triton I saw a lot of reviews saying the boat was good in rough water. What you guys say to this. Also part of another question I had was does this boat need a lot of bow lift? Like does it like to run high. I know I had more trim but also felt I was about topped out at 70mph but the nose seem like it was still in the water
    No. it is not good in rough water. I don't know what your definition of "rough" is but I have been on Clearlake with 2-4' rollers. Not a pretty sight.

11. Member
    how are you turning that 25 up to 70 mph? I have a 27 tempest that's been worked and barely touch 72. I have a 26 tempest that wont even do 64

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdcfishing View Post
    how are you turning that 25 up to 70 mph? I have a 27 tempest that's been worked and barely touch 72. I have a 26 tempest that wont even do 64
    This I'm not exactly sure of. But those were the readings I got. That was a gps speed reading and the rpm guage seems to be functioning properly but it could be off as well. I was by myself with a lite load and about half tank of gas.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqpitboss View Post
    See my set up info on signature below. I have a great hole shot and can run 70 before I run out of prop.
    In your signature you're using 3 large vent plugs. Are these the solid one piece plugs or does it have a hole in the center of the plug. My prop came with the three plugs that's got the center cutout. I'm still learning how to drive her but getting better. Hole shot I'm thinking should be better with one person and half tank. Thinking it's the plugs at this point.

14. Member
    Betta, yes the plugs have the large holes
    2020 Caymas CX21 Pro
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Serial# 2B686100

15. Member
    In your signature you're using 3 large vent plugs. Are these the solid one piece plugs or does it have a hole in the center of the plug. My prop came with the three plugs that's got the center cutout. I'm still learning how to drive her but getting better. Hole shot I'm thinking should be better with one person and half tank. Thinking it's the plugs at this point.
    As I stated before. For me, the hole shot with Opti is bad. I tied 26 trophy, BB 25 tempest plus and 25 Fury. Did not matter. Maybe a 24 would have improved the hole shot. IDK. The only thing that fixed my hole shot was putting on a 2006 225 Pro XS. Now it jumps out of the water. Altitude matters also.

16. Member
    As I stated before. For me, the hole shot with Opti is bad. I tied 26 trophy, BB 25 tempest plus and 25 Fury. Did not matter. Maybe a 24 would have improved the hole shot. IDK. The only thing that fixed my hole shot was putting on a 2006 225 Pro XS. Now it jumps out of the water. Altitude matters also.
    Yes I understand but the opti is what I got and what I gotta manage with.

17. Member
    Yes I understand but the opti is what I got and what I gotta manage with.
    I get it. I'm just giving you my experience. You may have to try a smaller pitch prop to get a good hole shot. But then you will most likely hit your limiter at top end. I chose for top end and accepted the garbage hole shot.
    Last edited by SCOTT39; 02-02-2021 at 03:38 PM.

18. Member
    I get it. I'm just giving you my experience. You may have to try a smaller pitch prop to get a good hole shot. But then you will most likely hit your limiter at top end. I chose for top end and accepted the garbage hole shot.
    Oh no doubt!! I appreciate the the differences of perspective due to experience! I hope no time in the near future I will be looking to repower but one day far far from now I can definitely take this comment and like comments in to consideration.

19. Member
    Oh no doubt!! I appreciate the the differences of perspective due to experience! I hope no time in the near future I will be looking to repower but one day far far from now I can definitely take this comment and like comments in to consideration.
    I love my TR20. Very few pass me on blast off. The ONLY draw back for me is narrow front deck and does not handle big water. This is fact, if you are looking for a jump up on pad in a matter of seconds, top end at 72, be able to let go of the steering wheel at 65 and handle big water this is not the boat to have. learn to drive it, accept it's flaws and have fun.

20. Member
    I love my TR20. Very few pass me on blast off. The ONLY draw back for me is narrow front deck and does not handle big water. This is fact, if you are looking for a jump up on pad in a matter of seconds, top end at 72, be able to let go of the steering wheel at 65 and handle big water this is not the boat to have. learn to drive it, accept it's flaws and have fun.
    Listen man this is just my second bass boat. I haven't been in the sport very long at all. This yr makes 6 total. My first boat was a ranger r70 sport and I loved that lil boat. Picked it up for cheap because I didn't wanna invest too much not knowing if I was going through a phase(ie: mid life crisis). The fishability of that thing was really awesome!! Thing about it though I outgrew that boat fast and I knew I was ready for bigger better. I had my eye on triton from day one.. Particularly for the storage. I never wavered started saving and came across this really nice 01 with not a ton of motor hours. I love this boat and I get so many compliments at the gas pumps and the boat ramps.. Make me feel really good about it. The front deck is rather small for a 20ft boat but I'm learning to manage it. Should have done lil more research on different brands as the X series is the one I wish I'd of waited round on. But I'm totally satisfied with this boat. I'm getting used to it with each outing. I can reach 70mph with half tank at about 5500 rpms and with more trim to go I should be able to get another 2 to 4 more mph in her. A month ago I couldn't go faster than 62 so I can definitely tell I'm getting better. Soon very soon I feel I'll be able to hold 70 and maybe reach top end.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast