Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Measure your prop to pad and if it's lower that 3" you'll never get rid of the chine walk most run that boat at 2.5" under and up. If you don't learn to control the chine you'll never get to 70. After you take off if you don't trim out all the way and don't open the throttle all the way and it will be easier to drive until you can control it. That trim gauge you have will usually be reading 1/4 when the motor is trimmed out. While the boat is on the trailer trim the motor up until it clears the two trims rams then ease it down until it touches then go look at the trim gauge and see where it's setting and that will be trimmed out.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Umgettinbetta View Post
    So at 70+ mph I got to deal with the boat rocking back and forth falling off pad constantly... My lord... Should got a ranger lol
    Yes. But when you learn to drive it you will not notice. You cannot drive an 01 Triton with no hands. That's what makes them fun to drive. It's really not that big of a deal. Raise it up to 2" and drive it. It took me less than a day.

3. Member
    If you make it 2 inches prop to pad, you better make sure you have water pressure. That advice can cost you your motor if you don’t. The sweet spot seems to be 2.5 inches to 3 inches for most. In any case make sure you have an accurate water pressure monitor gauge. I had mine as high as 2.25 inches, but the prop started slipping at that point and I did not notice any performance improvement from 2.5 inches. I’m sure each boat is unique, just make sure you maintain water pressure.

4. Member
    Betta, long story short. The chine walk is always there on the top end. You just learn to manage it safely.
    2020 Caymas CX21 Pro
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Serial# 2B686100

5. Member
    Preciate the tips guys. One question I'm thinking of now is when will I know I've got it sort of speak? Does the attitude of the boat change or do I just gain confidence in driving the boat. I guess what I'm asking is does the boat always sway or chine at higher speeds and you just steer it or does it stops after a certain point and drives straight.
    Just "learned" to drive my 21 trx. When it clicks you will know. You'll be able to trim all the way up and hold it on the floor. Took me 5 trips out. Not saying I'm perfect yet. But I can manage the walk. One thing I figured out is start driving it early. Don't wait till it walks to try and drive it. If it walks at 65 get on the wheel at 62. Stay positive and enjoy it
    2017 TRITON 21 TRX ELITE DC
    2023 250 MERCURY PRO XS
    23 FURY 3
    Z LOCK 10" JACKPLATE
    LOWRANCE GHOST 36V
    Garmin 93sv
    Garmin LVS34
    Rite Hite Turret
    HDS 12 GEN 3
    HDS 9 GEN 3

6. Member
    Preciate all the comments fellows. So my other concern being water pressure. Water pressure needs to be 15 or better correct? My last boat didn't have a water pressure guage so this is something else I'm getting used to. The minimum 15 psi is only for WOT correct? Anytime under wide open it doesn't have to be 15 correct? And is wide open pedal to the floor and trimmed out or just pedal to the floor no trim? Sorry guys I just don't know

7. Member
    Preciate all the comments fellows. So my other concern being water pressure. Water pressure needs to be 15 or better correct? My last boat didn't have a water pressure guage so this is something else I'm getting used to. The minimum 15 psi is only for WOT correct? Anytime under wide open it doesn't have to be 15 correct? And is wide open pedal to the floor and trimmed out or just pedal to the floor no trim? Sorry guys I just don't know
    If your water pressure drops it will be at WOT trimmed all the way up. Sometimes it will be fine WOT running straight and drop when you make a turn. Just watch your guage while riding. If it drops below spec anytime. You just need to lower your jackplate 1/8" and retry it.
    2017 TRITON 21 TRX ELITE DC
    2023 250 MERCURY PRO XS
    23 FURY 3
    Z LOCK 10" JACKPLATE
    LOWRANCE GHOST 36V
    Garmin 93sv
    Garmin LVS34
    Rite Hite Turret
    HDS 12 GEN 3
    HDS 9 GEN 3

So at 70+ mph I got to deal with the boat rocking back and forth falling off pad constantly... My lord... Should got a ranger lol
    Yes the boat will “want to” chine walk once you get the boat up and balancing it on the pad. You have to learn how to balance the boat on the pad and prevent it from chine walking (falling off). You don’t drive through it, you prevent it. When you “feel it” you will keep it balanced and prevent it from falling off and “rocking back and forth”.

9. Member
    I took my boat out yesterday, and after reading one of the above posts I wanted to see how fast I could actually drive it without having my hands on the steering wheel, I can get going right at 65 miles an hour and let go of my steering wheel - any higher trim / speed I had to start driving it. I never have a need to drive faster than 60 miles an hour, the only reason I do is so I can continue to learn to drive it at higher speeds, 60 to 65 is faster than I ever need to go to be honest, but that’s just me. I’m not fishing tournaments or anything like that, and almost every lake I fish is rather small. Anyway, that’s the limit of my speed before I have to start paying attention, 65 miles an hour.

10. Member
    Haven't gotten a chance to take the boat out in couple days and it's killing me! I NEED MY SEAT TIME!! 😂😂 But on a serious note the few times I was out and did a bit of fishing boy I was missing my ultrex!! Lol. I bought a 80# 24v system for my 17ft ranger and I'm missing the ease of use and spot lock. The fortrex that came on the boat is awesome. It's a112# 36v system that's powerful and works great but how would the 24v 80# ultrex perform on a 2001 triton tr20? That ultrex is only a year and a half and I'm not quite ready to drop another 3k for a 36v ultrex system. This is not exactly a 24v versus 36v question but more so I wanna know will the 80# 24v ultrex perform... Hold its on sort of speak on a 20ft boat

Thanks fellows!!

11. Member
    Betta, I would think the Ultrex 80 would be fine on your boat. I just took off a motorguide 80 and installed a Ghost but never really had a problem with the 80#.
    2020 Caymas CX21 Pro
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Serial# 2B686100

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqpitboss View Post
    Betta, I would think the Ultrex 80 would be fine on your boat. I just took off a motorguide 80 and installed a Ghost but never really had a problem with the 80#.
    Thanks for the response, and I've gotta change my username lol. That username was made up back when online poker was a big thing. Seems kinda awkward to be going by that username anymore lol.

13. Member
    Guys I've had the boat out a few times now and oh my gosh is all I can say. Nearly lost it twice or I felt like I was gonna lose it. I'd never had a boat feel that way and jerk like that on me. But as mentioned this is the first high performance bass boat I've driven. I can't get it above 63 as my comfort level is just not there. But the current set up is with a 4 blade 23p fury prop. I have a 25p tempest that came with it but wanted to leave the 4 blade on as I understand the 4 blades handle better. The manual jack plate seems to be at its highest setting and the motor is in the first holes(top) on the motors mounting plate. I start off motor trimmed all the way down and pedal to the floor. I guess I'm at about 5 - 5200 rpm when I begin to trim out. I can't get the motor trimmed out a quarter of the way(according to trim guage) b4 it starts to chine and I get uncomfortable. I feel I should be able to trim lots more so is the motor set too high, or am I just not letting her eat as you guys like to say? Definitely gonna need all the help from you guys I can get... I imagine this thread will be lengthy so I hope you guys don't mind checking up and commenting.. Thanks!!
    You've gone from an entry level Ranger with training wheels to a serious high performance rig.

I see you're in Gainesville. Let me know if you're interested in set up help and some seat time on the River. I'm on my 3rd Triton since 97.

14. Member
    I've got an 2000 tr21 with the yamaha 225, it was my first boat also!

Solo and a half tank I can run 74 or so. Chine walk was the craziest crap at first. I'd hit 65 and get terrified. It took easily 6 months before it was casual. Now I just scream around the lake looking like a crack head trying to drive a lawnmower dodging hornets.

Fun boat.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM64 View Post
    You've gone from an entry level Ranger with training wheels to a serious high performance rig.

I see you're in Gainesville. Let me know if you're interested in set up help and some seat time on the River. I'm on my 3rd Triton since 97.
    John I definitely appreciate this offer. I've actually reached out to a couple different guys already and as soon as one of them is able they're going to be helping me on the water. What you think my set up should be looking like?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OverTimeAgain View Post
    I've got an 2000 tr21 with the yamaha 225, it was my first boat also!

Solo and a half tank I can run 74 or so. Chine walk was the craziest crap at first. I'd hit 65 and get terrified. It took easily 6 months before it was casual. Now I just scream around the lake looking like a crack head trying to drive a lawnmower dodging hornets.

Fun boat.
    I don't know the difference in engines other than the makes but you get 74 with half tank on a 21ftr, on a bit smaller boat same hp I should get at least similar if not lil better right?

17. Member
    Guys let's talk about load balancing. How do you guys load your boat that helps to deliver optimal performance. I know this question is subjective but in general are we loading these boats lil heavier to help the ride or liter and just understanding that this boat takes driver input. You guys find that having a heavier load toward the rear is better or should your heavier tackle be in the front storage boxes. Any pointers and tips I'm opened too. I love the creativeness or wisdom that's gained with years of experience.

18. Member
    John I definitely appreciate this offer. I've actually reached out to a couple different guys already and as soon as one of them is able they're going to be helping me on the water. What you think my set up should be looking like?
    Your set up should be whatever Mdtriton21 says: " Normally you run with the motor in the second set of holes from the top and adjust for 2.5" to 2" under prop to pad. Keep your WOT water pressure 15 Lbs and up."

19. Member
    Guys let's talk about load balancing. How do you guys load your boat that helps to deliver optimal performance. I know this question is subjective but in general are we loading these boats lil heavier to help the ride or liter and just understanding that this boat takes driver input. You guys find that having a heavier load toward the rear is better or should your heavier tackle be in the front storage boxes. Any pointers and tips I'm opened too. I love the creativeness or wisdom that's gained with years of experience.
    I usually don't give this any thought at all. The only time I do is when I need to be the first one to a spot. I will try and remove anything not necessary out of the bow. Usually gets me about .5 mph more. Balancing will help you at the beginning but in my experience it doesn't matter after you learn to drive.

20. Member
    I'm not positive but I run a 27m yamaha prop, 3" below pad and got like 18 water pressure.

Fairly loaded down usually too, 3 27 size lead batteries in back, and 1 31 size agm. Livewells always empty.

I am also like on the rpm limiter in the winter, normally right at 6k rpms.

I think if I lightened my load, and got a bigger prop I could probably get up higher speeds.

That being said, once my 320lb partner gets in the boat with his shit, my top speeds are usually between 67-69.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast