19or20 Ram 2500 Diesel Owners

Looking at a 2020 Ram 2500 Diesel. One concern is the CP4 pump what are other concerns and issues from owners for the years listed
    in title.

Their transmissions aren't the best. Even the Aisin has had its issues.
    2018 Ranger Z518C 200hp Rude.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

2022 Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins

3. Member
    Can't get the aisin in in the 2500 only the 68rfe. Which has been upgraded in the 2020 models. The cp4 pumps used in European vehicles with the higher sulfer content diesel than ours last a long while. But any thing can fail. There may have been some that did but probably more due to contaminated fuel but the internet world labels every thing so guess that makes it true. That said my 2015 only has 200,000 miles on it (cp3) and my 2004 has 309,000 on it, I'll keep running them.
    Last edited by .44mag; 12-19-2020 at 09:25 PM.
    1995 Skeeter 200ZX, 1998 Mercury 200 (OG724176)
    2015 Ram 3500 dually Cummins G56
    The Bible

Quote Originally Posted by .44mag View Post
    Can't get the aisin in in the 2500 only the 68rfe. Which has been upgraded in the 2020 models. The cp4 pumps used in European vehicles with the higher sulfer content diesel than ours last a long while. But any thing can fail. There may have been some that did but probably more due to contaminated fuel but the internet world labels every thing so guess that makes it true. That said my 2015 only has 200,000 miles on it (cp3) and my 2004 has 309,000 on it, I'll keep running them.
    Thanks, for the info. I wasn't aware of that.
    2018 Ranger Z518C 200hp Rude.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

2022 Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins

5. Member
    I just bought a 2020 Ram 2500. Yes you can read horror stories about the CP4 pumps or the 68RFE, but my thought was I’m buying new and if one of them goes the warranty can take care of it. I am a firm believer in running a fuel lubricant additive. I have run Hotshots Secret a for a while. I use in it on every fill up.

6. Member
    Good info.
    RTRCraft:I was looking at the HotShots brand the night I posted the thread seems like a good product.

Thank you

7. Member
    Also you might double check with your dealer that it has the updated fuel system/CP4. I don't remember off the top of my head, but the updated pump has a different number of dots on the CP4. They are visible from the engine bay. I do remember checking mine and it was not the updated pump. Just FYI.

8. Banned
    Use some Opti-Lube in the fuel if you’re concerned.

9. Member
    My buddy who has a Duramax with the CP4 pump is somewhat paranoid about the possible pump failure. He stays on the 'net readin forums about that pump's failures. Just had this conversation yesterday. My take is several years of Duramax uses the CP4, Ram CP4, Powerstroke CP4. There's a LOT of CP4 pumps on the road. If they were failing at the rate forums would have you to believe, there would be diesel pickups all over the side of the road. There are not. When reading a forum the problems are what is posted. Ten people posting a failure can give the impression that failures outnumber the nonfailures. When was the last time you saw a thread started "My CP4 pumps has 250K trouble free miles, my Optimax compressor and oil pump has 500 trouble free hours. I use to fret about my 2 stroke Pro XS. I finally stopped reading the 3.0L Mercury forum and started enjoying my motor. I have a 2019 Duramax with the Denso pump, but wouldn't give what fuel pump my diesel had if I had a Cummins, Powerstroke or earlier Duramax a second thought.

10. Banned
    I lost a cp4 at 75k miles, always did early fuel filter changes, and got fuel at good places.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RFSims View Post
    My buddy who has a Duramax with the CP4 pump is somewhat paranoid about the possible pump failure. He stays on the 'net readin forums about that pump's failures. Just had this conversation yesterday. My take is several years of Duramax uses the CP4, Ram CP4, Powerstroke CP4. There's a LOT of CP4 pumps on the road. If they were failing at the rate forums would have you to believe, there would be diesel pickups all over the side of the road. There are not. When reading a forum the problems are what is posted. Ten people posting a failure can give the impression that failures outnumber the nonfailures. When was the last time you saw a thread started "My CP4 pumps has 250K trouble free miles, my Optimax compressor and oil pump has 500 trouble free hours. I use to fret about my 2 stroke Pro XS. I finally stopped reading the 3.0L Mercury forum and started enjoying my motor. I have a 2019 Duramax with the Denso pump, but wouldn't give what fuel pump my diesel had if I had a Cummins, Powerstroke or earlier Duramax a second thought.
    I couldn't agree more with RFSims response. I had a 09 6.4 power stroke grenade on me with right at 100k and trust me there was nothing I could have done to prevent it. Things fail thats why I got into a new truck with a warranty.