Thread: Tree Stands

Tree Stands

Deer season is winding down here in West Central Illinois.I have about 30 ladder stands spread out over 200 acres.I’ve had most of these stands up for 15+ years.I’ve noticed a lot of the trees are dying,any chance just having a ratchet strap around the tree could kill them? Does anyone loosen their straps at the end if the season?

ratchet strap will break before a tree is girdled. i see chains completely engulfed by a tree and not kill the tree. What species of trees? If ash trees, then all ash are dieing due to eab.

3. Member
    Mostly oak and elm trees.

4. Banned
    Never seen any problem here in NC all the years i hunted also because of straps or whatever was used to secure them to the trees.

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    I loosen my straps as best I can so they don't pop. Usually change many as well or add to them. I have some that are growing into the trees been there years but not killing trees. Most are red oak or cottonwood trees.
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

6. Member
    I have to agree with everyone else. Haven't seen tree stands kill oak or elm. Around here, elm have to hide in the forest or else DED will get them. The only real enemy of our oak is gypsy moths and it has to be a serious infestation to actually kill the tree

7. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    I hunted a stand Sunday morning where your couldn't see the strap on the stand or steps other that some broken ends. The stand and steps are grown into the tree. The stand has been strapped to the tree for more that the 15 years I have hunted the farm and a previous hunter left it. The tree has grown half way over the seat.
    Last edited by Roddy; 12-21-2020 at 08:23 PM.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

8. Member
    Elms are notorious for dying about the time they get useful hunting tree size. But if you can ring em with a chainsaw so they will sump sprout they make fantastic deer browse bushes google msu deerlab mineral stumping.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

9. Member
    Thanks guys.I didn’t think a ratchet strap would actually girdle the tree,but it just seemed odd that so many of my trees are dying.I think I will just loosen all of them to be on the safe side.

Sounds like time for a timber harvest if the trees are kicking on you. Remember where the dead elms are, come spring look for the almighty morel mushroom.