Thread: 15 year boat.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

15 year boat.

Mostly a thread reader and researcher, I never really post but anyways here's my questions and requests for opinions.

I a few years back bought a 6 month old 2017 Tracker 175txw with a 75hp fourstroke, awesome deal extended warranty all of that, its purpose was to cut my teeth on owning a first bass boat and I knew this boat would be forgiving and had pretty good resale value for an aluminum, and also being a tracker and they are basically the Honda civic of bass boats they sell fast.

I fish every other weekend on average and and probably total up to about 34 day trips taking into account holiday's.

Anyways I'm ready to move on to a long term bigger faster boat, i plan on placing an order on one this next summer in time for my annual Clearlake trip, my quiteria is:

Must last 12-15 years with minimal issues.

Must have an option for a factory non third party extended warranty.

Must not go over $72,000 (give or take 2000 if I need to add a hydraulic jackplate and dual console) so that I can pay it off in 5 years.

Must go at least 60 mph minimum fully loaded.

The trailer needs to last the 12-15 years i will have the boat for.

Storage length must not exceed 24'6 feet max and not an inch longer.

Must be available in a dual console.

Those are the big requirements.

MUST BE BRAND NEW, NOT EVEN A DEALER DEMO

The boats I have been looking at are.

Basscat Puma FTD

ZXR 21

NITRO Z21 PRO (due to a great dealer 20 minutes from me)

LUND 2075 Pro V Bass

Vexus AVX 2080 is a distant last place on the list

What are everyone's thoughts?

Taking care of boat /Trailer goes a long way toward longevity.

I use quality oil, lube, the proper brand of spark plugs. I keep it everything clean.

I have a tube trailer, if no one is around the ramp when I am loading to leave—— I let the trailer sit on the ramp and let the water drain out of the trailer. My trailer is 20 years old, still in good shape

You left a few boats off your list that I would have considered.

If you are ordering a NEW boat / Trailer, order an aluminum trailer, brakes on both axles. Steps/pole welded on. Torsion suspension.
    Last edited by Bassman Ia.; 12-19-2020 at 01:18 PM.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    You left a few boats off your list that I would have considered.
    I am a maintenance freak, I just don't want the boat falling apart even with my OCD maintenance, hell I even spray my tracker trailer down with Areospace 303 when I get home in addition to cleaning up the boat inside and out after every use.

What other boats or models would you yourself recommend?

4. Member
    After the new year some pretty good package deals normally offered. Electronics, power poles, other upgrades can add up quick in a custom order. May want to rethink capitalized portion of your post--lots of boats out there well under your price with years of warranty left. Some guys do keep them in showroom condition. I got that you want new, but you also want to maximize your $. Your note about dealer is important too. Good luck with your decision.

5. Banned
    Line the boats up you listed, one stands out by far for options included and price. Like you said the avx 2080 doesnt compare to the others. Even the lund is built like a tank but its not finished as well as the glass boats, not a big fan of the lund trailer either- personal experience some minor things like the jack and winch on the lund are junk.

6. Member
    Basscat is a sure thing out of your list. Best trailer on the market, lifetime boat warranty, hold value better than most brands, will do well over 60 loaded, and just a well built boat. You could go with several Basscat models that will check every box you have.

7. Member
    Basscat is probably the best bet, honestly the two best options would be 1. BASSCAT Puma FTD and add the hydraulic jackplate and dual console.

2. Nitro Z21 Pro, not near the quality of the basscat obviously and parts aren't readily available once they stop manufacturing
    that model, but if I'm gonna spend upwards of 70k, I think a basscat so far is a better option between the two.

I've saw both brands in person, no experience with any others I listed.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DTI0384 View Post
    Basscat is probably the best bet, honestly the two best options would be 1. BASSCAT Puma FTD and add the hydraulic jackplate and dual console.

2. Nitro Z21 Pro, not near the quality of the basscat obviously and parts aren't readily available once they stop manufacturing
    that model, but if I'm gonna spend upwards of 70k, I think a basscat so far is a better option between the two.

I've saw both brands in person, no experience with any others I listed.
    The quality gap has closed dramatically in the past few years. Bass cat has a better trailer, better gauges, but a very odd layout. I think the nitro has a lot more deck space than the puma ftd, the z21 is more like the lynx- which is nicer but it should be it cost at least 15k more equally equipped.

9. Member
    And you're eliminating Ranger, Phoenix, Triton, Charger why??? You have a Skeeter and a Cat in your final list. I can't think of two more different hulls, not to mention the Lund?

My advice would be to spend some more time deciding which design is going to suit your style best; maybe fish as a co-angler for a season and get in some different boats?
    2018 Ranger 521C, 2023 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S (3B261295), 36V Ultrex, 10" Atlas, Power Poles, Lowrance 12 Carbon, and 2-12 Lives.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick2268 View Post
    And you're eliminating Ranger, Phoenix, Triton, Charger why??? You have a Skeeter and a Cat in your final list. I can't think of two more different hulls, not to mention the Lund?

My advice would be to spend some more time deciding which design is going to suit your style best; maybe fish as a co-angler for a season and get in some different boats?
    You didn't get then memo, Rangers are no good since Johnny took over, and triton is out of business....

Quote Originally Posted by BassDad824 View Post
    Basscat is a sure thing out of your list. Best trailer on the market, lifetime boat warranty, hold value better than most brands, will do well over 60 loaded, and just a well built boat. You could go with several Basscat models that will check every box you have.
    This ^^^^^
    Over a period of 22 years I had 2 BassCats. The first was A Pantera II, that I drove for 7 years until it was totaled in a freeway accident, I replaced it with a Pantera Classic that I drove for 15 years and sold when I downsized to Aluminum so my Grandkids could drive.
    In the time I owned the BassCats, everything worked, every time, all the time and there is not a better trailer made.
    The way you take care of your boats, in 15 years, the BassCat will look like and run like the day you bought it.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    You didn't get then memo, Rangers are no good since Johnny took over, and triton is out of business....
    That sure is the flavor or the day with lounge the last few months.....that Rangers are now junk. My 2019 is built every bit as well as my 2012 Pre Johnny Ranger was built. My 2019 is awesome with great fit and finish and that typical Ranger solid feeling. Just looked at a '21 Z521C for mounting ideas of the Lowrance Ghost I just bought and I tell you, that '21 Ranger is a super well built, finished boat Rangers are known for. Don't believe the lounge BS about the new Rangers....
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

13. BBC SPONSOR
    Tomball, Etoile, Milam TX -SAM RAYBURN & TOLEDO BEND
    Caymas
    www.MulletRanchDecals.com
    Welcome to the Mullet Ranch...business in the front, party in the back!

14. Member
    Of the boats you listed I would have to go with the Cat or the Nitro. There really are no downsides to the Cat. The Nitro , using your criteria would be hard to turn down. Probably priced a bit less than the Cat, super dealer near by and they will be around for a long time. As far as resale after 10 or 15 years, that is a crapshoot. A lot of things can happen and/or change. From what I've seen in the past is there are always a ton of used Nitros for sale so that might make it a challenge getting top dollar when sale time comes. For the most part the boats are not going to be the issue, it's usually the motor that you need a good tech nearby for.
    GETFISHED !!!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick2268 View Post

I'm not interested in a Ranger unless it exceeds a basscat in every category reason being is the nearest dealer thats about 45 minutes away is trash and I dont even want to give them my presence of just looking at what they have, the Charger is completely out of the question since there is no dealer in my state, I have briefly considered Phoenix but I still need to do more research on them and I would like to see a few in person, I'm not a fan of the Triton design, im not looking at any specific hull design, im just gonna buy what I end up liking the most whether it's an aluminum like the Lund or a fiberglass.

It looks like the Basscat is the biggest value in the long run, and I like the forward design of the trolling motor, and the nearest dealer is 2.5 hours away which is not bad.
    Last edited by DTI0384; 12-19-2020 at 06:23 PM.

Before comparing the pros and cons of the models that you listed, I would encourage you to decide if you want glass or aluminum. Glass certainly rides better, but will require more attention...waxing, wiping down, far more expensive to repair a scratch, etc. If you decide to go glass, to me that choice is a no brainer from your list...the BassCat.

If you decide to go aluminum, then you need to decide if your want a bass style rig or a vee hull. If you want the bass style, then the Vexus is the obvious choice. If you want the vee hull, then go with the Lund.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Before comparing the pros and cons of the models that you listed, I would encourage you to decide if you want glass or aluminum. Glass certainly rides better, but will require more attention...waxing, wiping down, far more expensive to repair a scratch, etc. If you decide to go glass, to me that choice is a no brainer from your list...the BassCat.

If you decide to go aluminum, then you need to decide if your want a bass style rig or a vee hull. If you want the bass style, then the Vexus is the obvious choice. If you want the vee hull, then go with the Lund.
    The Lund will ride better than any boat he listed, a lot better. Only downfall is side spray in a cross wind.

18. Member
    Yes I've repeatedly read that side spray is a problem and that the trailer sucks which coincides with what was stated even in this thread.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DTI0384 View Post
    Yes I've repeatedly read that side spray is a problem and that the trailer sucks which coincides with what was stated even in this thread.
    I think you need to build a spreadsheet with all the models loaded out ready to fish so you can compare. Then look at the layout as they are vastly different. Some boats are narrow and don't carry the beam forward so the front decks are smaller.

20. Member
    Yes I'll probably do that, there is supposed to be a big boat show that will have most of these models near me next year, but this covid stuff will probably cancel that.

The wife and myself will probably take a few road trips and look at the different brands and models leading up to making the decision also.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast