Thread: Prop blowout

Prop blowout

06 Z20 with an etec 225 . 6 inch atlas and Has a raker 2 on it and has terrible blowout, no holeshot , way slower than it should be.. top speed 60 ..all the vent holes have no cover , they're wide open..I've tried adjusting the plate and playing with trim .. nothing helps. As soon as it planes out the rpms wind up and the boat is very sluggish .. question 1 can I buy vent covers to adjust the prop vents and do y'all think this is the issue? Second question what is the best prop for this setup?

2. Member
    Plug the holes or drop the motor down on take off then bring it back up if you have a hydro plate. If not just plug half the holes and go from there.
    Jimmy
    Phoenix 721
    12" Bobs Hydro Plate
    Mercury 300 Xs
    Dave Bush Racing Kit
    28.5 Bravo

That motor has a lot of torque and big block exhaust. Using a Raker that does not have a flared barrel lets exhaust get to the tips of the blades and blow out. No matter of plug venting. My suggestion is to try some props with flared barrels, and/or more blade area. Such as more diameter and or extra blades. The Fury3 and 4 might be worth a shot if you can get them to test.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

4. Member
    Trying to learn Never thought much about barrel length or shape. Could you explain it to me thx

Quote Originally Posted by 1ranger487vs View Post
    Trying to learn Never thought much about barrel length or shape. Could you explain it to me thx
    The flared barrel, Also known as a diffuser ring helps shed the exhaust away from the tips of the blades. It also gives stern lift. A strait barrel has more bow lift and maybe 1 mph faster from less drag.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

6. Member
    Well i just thought I would post about some of my experience with my old boat. (201 status w/2005 Evinrude etec) One problem I had when I switched to a Evinrude M case lower unit. it would run good with a 4 blade prop with the weed ring installed, but when I switched to a 3 blade prop it was very hard to get out of the hole without the prop blowing out. The cure was installing a 3 blade prop seal That is much like the 4 blade weed guard but must be used for the magnum case because of its slightly larger case size. (3 blade prop seal part#0346462).

7. Member
    How high is your motor mounted on your jack plate? My '05 Rude 225 was to high to get out of the hole no matter what prop I tried. I lowered my motor to the second hole and now she lays over and flies. Also it ended the boat porpoising when taking off. Make sure that you are trimmed all the way down and jack plate is down...