Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

xb2003 weight with four stroke

I know this have been discussed a lot. I good friend of mine has a 2001 xb2003 with a 225 pro max. He's getting older and thinking about selling the boat which I may buy. I was concerned about the outboard weight restrictions that the hull could handle for future re-power. I was wondering if installing Lithium batteries in the boat would offset the weight difference of the heavier four stroke outboards. Seems like the difference in outboard weights are anywhere from 80-120 lbs. I know the weight location aren't the same. Just want to run it by you guys. Thanks.

2. Member
    Whatever your lead acid batteries weigh now you can count on cutting that in half with lithiums. You might even lower it a little more.

3. Member
    24 v system
    Group 24s 90 lbs lead acid go to 30lbs lithium
    Group 27s 120 lbs lead acid go to 30 lb lithium
    Group 31s 150 lbs lead acid go to 60 lb lithium

36 v system
    Group 24s 120 lbs lead acid goes to 30 lb lithium
    Group 27s 180 lbs goes to 30 or 60 lbs

Lithium more than makes up weight difference...

4. Member
    South of Baton Rouge but North of Plaquemine, LA
    I went with the 175 Pro XS four stroke. The only real issue is Mercury still hasn’t “ok’d” the use of lithium for cranking on the new four stroke platform. Manual states it requires a AGM battery with minimum 975 CCA, so a Group 31. As of now I still have my group 27 lead acid trolling batteries had a group 27 cranking, so I actually had to add more weight when I repowered.

5. Member
    Thanks for the help guys!

6. Member
    Although I have a 24 volt trolling motor I have never been a big fan of them. I have a xb2003 also and would like to go the 12/24 route for a troller and use one of the batteries for a cranking battery. My mechanic says no because of the big motor needing so much voltage to run right. I still think it would work, but I'm not willing to risk it .

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomfisher View Post
    I went with the 175 Pro XS four stroke. The only real issue is Mercury still hasn’t “ok’d” the use of lithium for cranking on the new four stroke platform. Manual states it requires a AGM battery with minimum 975 CCA, so a Group 31. As of now I still have my group 27 lead acid trolling batteries had a group 27 cranking, so I actually had to add more weight when I repowered.

What kind of speeds are you getting with the 175hp sho? And how does the boat handle with it? What size set back do you go with?

8. Member
    More weight can be saved with the trolling batteries than with a cranking battery. For sure switching all could make combo even lighter.

9. Member
    I'm pretty sure I've seen that rig around the spillway a few times, especially this fall. Nice setup and every time I saw it I said that I bet that was a sweet running rig. I won't even get my feelings hurt when you come by my BassCat EYRA/ 250 proxs combo. I just want to see it run.
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambler69 View Post
    What kind of speeds are you getting with the 175hp sho? And how does the boat handle with it? What size set back do you go with?
    I’m still playing setup games. Right now I am at what I started with, 10” of set back, but I’m thinking I may need more. Every prop I’ve put on it has cavitation issues. Started with a 23 tempest no speed numbers, then 25 tempest 72-73 loaded to fish. 27 hydromotive OT4X 72 loaded with livewell full, 74 empty livewell. 27 Trophy plus I still had from old setup 74mph but RPMs aren’t where they need to be at 5800ish. Each prop are all rough at idle due to cavitation and grip and slip at cruising speed which is different for each prop because of the pitch differences I’m sure. I still need to have the lower coned as well, hopefully that’s where some of my issues are coming from. I had Todd at hydromotive build the hydro prop for me and haven’t talked to him since to let him know about the cavitation/slipping issues, so he may have some magic he can work. TBD. OverAll I’m happy with the swap and don’t miss working on the motor every time I use it. Can fish in piece. Only miss about 15mph over the 225ss pro Max that was on it when I purchased it.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shapfromla View Post
    I'm pretty sure I've seen that rig around the spillway a few times, especially this fall. Nice setup and every time I saw it I said that I bet that was a sweet running rig. I won't even get my feelings hurt when you come by my BassCat EYRA/ 250 proxs combo. I just want to see it run.
    Should definitely stand out like a sore thumb. One of the very few XB03’s I’m the area, much less one with a giant minn Kota Ultrexx. Bought it to fish, so that how I use it and run it. Also should stand out because it’s the only XB03 with platinum hull, teal wings, and yellow wing tips. Found that out from Bill at Allison when I called to purchase an extra fishing seat and gave him the hull ID number. Bought it from a single owner out of Amarillo about 5 years ago.

If you don't mind me asking what kinda motor height are you running? Did you cone the lower unit?
    97 Allison XB2003/ 250 Proxs

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by draketm View Post
    If you don't mind me asking what kinda motor height are you running? Did you cone the lower unit?
    I need to have it coned still, but not sure where/who to get it done. Highest I can get it is about 5/8" below pad playing with the jack plate height before water pressure completely drops off. The intake is on the front of the cone and I have the top three holes plugged on the sides. 5/8" below is where I used to keep the 225 Pro Max/Sportmaster, but I believe this larger diameter lower unit wants to be raised some more.

I have seen 2 so far with a 4.6 liter V-8. One they never got to run right because of the weight and the second one I havent seen any updates on it. As far as offsetting the weight by going Lithium. I dot think it works to well cause your not offsetting where the weigh is that affects it. I run a 3.0 liter and went lithium trolling batteries and it didnt make any difference in anything speed or how it sits in the water. Good Luck with whatever you choose.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    I have seen 2 so far with a 4.6 liter V-8. One they never got to run right because of the weight and the second one I havent seen any updates on it. As far as offsetting the weight by going Lithium. I dot think it works to well cause your not offsetting where the weigh is that affects it. I run a 3.0 liter and went lithium trolling batteries and it didnt make any difference in anything speed or how it sits in the water. Good Luck with whatever you choose.
    I am actually running the 3.4 liter V6 which is probably close to the weight of your motor. I been meaning to ask you about your current setup now. I know when you first swapped to the 3.0 you started with less set back like I did. I started with and still have 10". How much setback are you running now?

I am actually running the 3.4 liter V6 which is probably close to the weight of your motor. I been meaning to ask you about your current setup now. I know when you first swapped to the 3.0 you started with less set back like I did. I started with and still have 10". How much setback are you running now?
    I am running 15" of set back. But, I am also running a 1.62:1 Sportmaster case. How are you keeping the motor off the limiter with a 1.85:1 ratio gear case? Looking t the motors they now offer I thought the 225 3.4 V-6 looked like the best match but, the gear case and ratio would make it a no go in my mind. Maybe your insight could change my mind.

17. Member
    I run a 27 hydromotive QIV-X O/T to 5900-5950. I still haven't coned mine yet, but even then I doubt I'll be able to turn much more than a 28 with my fishing load. I wanted to keep the weight as low as possible which put me in the 3.4L. Wanted the better mounts, 6000 limiter, and the HP reasonable (my son will be using it in the next 5 years) which put me in the 175 Pro XS version. I'd rather not try to change any ones mind until I get this thing lined out and set up right to see peak performance. Right now it's getting the job done, but I think it should have the potential to hurt feelings of most other tournament boats running 250hp.

I run a 27 hydromotive QIV-X O/T to 5900-5950. I still haven't coned mine yet, but even then I doubt I'll be able to turn much more than a 28 with my fishing load. I wanted to keep the weight as low as possible which put me in the 3.4L. Wanted the better mounts, 6000 limiter, and the HP reasonable (my son will be using it in the next 5 years) which put me in the 175 Pro XS version. I'd rather not try to change any ones mind until I get this thing lined out and set up right to see peak performance. Right now it's getting the job done, but I think it should have the potential to hurt feelings of most other tournament boats running 250hp.
    Gotcha, Most standard big brand boats around here with 250's are running in the mid 70's. I would definitely not be interested in nothing less than the 225 3.4 liter. Get her dialed in and let us know how she turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    Gotcha, Most standard big brand boats around here with 250's are running in the mid 70's. I would definitely not be interested in nothing less than the 225 3.4 liter. Get her dialed in and let us know how she turns out.
    Yea im ready to see someone put one of the new 225s on one with a coned lower and see some numbers lol.
    97 Allison XB2003/ 250 Proxs

Quote Originally Posted by draketm View Post
    Yea im ready to see someone put one of the new 225s on one with a coned lower and see some numbers lol.
    I dont know if it would work the lower ratio for the V-6 is 1.85:1. You would need a 32+ pitch prop to keep it at 6k IMHO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast