Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sea clear wiring harness

Anyone on here install a sea clear wiring harness on their boat??? Looking at getting one.

2. Member
    I have one that I am planning to install in the next couple of weeks. It is part of my Winter Projects
    Steven Dendy-Spring Hill, KS
    2017 Phoenix 721 PRO XP 250-PRO XS
    Past Rides

​07 Triton - TR-196 200-Opti
    01 Triton - TR-21 225 HO Johnson
    93 Javelin 379T 91 Rude Intruder

83 Tidecraft - Wildfire F/S 150 Black Max

3. Member
    I installed one a couple of months ago when I added Garmin LS. Easy and it definitely increased my reliability. I have not spent a lot of time testing clarity etc, because I just have not fished that much this year.
    Great quality harness for sure.

4. Member
    You may check out Sonar Electronic Pros harness as well. A little more expensive, but everything is soldered and a little cleaner look IMO. I have one being shipped to me Monday for my 4 Helix units going on my new to me 2017 721. They custom make the harness to fit exactly how all your electronics are mounted on console a d up at the bow.

5. Member

Quote Originally Posted by naredman View Post
    You may check out Sonar Electronic Pros harness as well. A little more expensive, but everything is soldered and a little cleaner look IMO. I have one being shipped to me Monday for my 4 Helix units going on my new to me 2017 721. They custom make the harness to fit exactly how all your electronics are mounted on console a d up at the bow.
    That's the harness I got. As soon as you open the package you can tell its a custom harness and he pays attention to detail when building it. I ordered my Panoptic/Livescope from them as well as my wiring harness. They simply removed the plugs from the Garmin package and solder/heat shirk them to the harness they make. When I open the box my harness was in my first impression was how neat and tidy everything looked. Then when I picked it up it changed to how heavy it was. I was really surprised at how much it weighed. As for connections it could not be any more simple...hot wire to disconnect, ground to battery, power to head unit and power to black box. It was simple to hook up. I did install a separate disconnect so I would have my Panoptics/Livescope isolated from everything else. From that disconnect I did have to install a short 10AWG wire from the disconnect to the battery. The Sea Clear and The Bass Tank wire harness are good but I chose the Sonar Pros because the all connections are soldered and heat shrunk. If you already have Panoptics/Livescope you can purchase their harness and make your own connections or you can remove your plugs and mail them to Sonar Pros and they will add your factory plugs to thier harness and once you get it back its simply plug and play.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mjlambert23 View Post
    I installed one a couple of months ago when I added Garmin LS. Easy and it definitely increased my reliability. I have not spent a lot of time testing clarity etc, because I just have not fished that much this year.
    Great quality harness for sure.
    Did your voltage hold up better???

8. Member
    Voltage was better for sure. Also eliminated the reboots on my HDS units when starting the big motor.
    Battery is also key. I switched to an X2 AGM months before adding the harness.

9. Member
    The sea clear is what I installed and it brought my voltage up and cleared up images on my humminbird units. It was easy to install and rig the wires into
    2020 721 250 mercury 4 stroke

10. Member
    Soldering on boats is a bad idea, proper crimps are better. Save soldering for circuit boards.

These "harnesses" are way overpriced, quality marine wire and heat shrink crimp connectors will easily make a custom "harness". Shop at bestboatwire, save some money, get high quality parts and learn a little about rigging your boat.

11. Member
    Trent at sonarpros is a jam up guy. Really pays attention to detail. He has been doing this for a long time for himself and friends and has finally turned it into a business

12. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EufaulaHammer View Post
    Trent at sonarpros is a jam up guy. Really pays attention to detail. He has been doing this for a long time for himself and friends and has finally turned it into a business

I will also add his customer service is outstanding. I had a few question before my purchase and one question when doing my install. Every single time I think I got a reply back within and hour. He also gave me his cell and told me to call if I had any more questions. That's personal service at its best...and when you say he pays attention to detail when building a wire harness I agree 100%. What I like is he takes your factory plugs and solder/heat shrinks them to the harness he builds and as you say his attention to detail is great. In this picture the items in the plastic bag do not come with the harness. That is something I ordered separate from my harness.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kcinnick View Post
    Soldering on boats is a bad idea, proper crimps are better. Save soldering for circuit boards.

These "harnesses" are way overpriced, quality marine wire and heat shrink crimp connectors will easily make a custom "harness". Shop at bestboatwire, save some money, get high quality parts and learn a little about rigging your boat.
    i couldn’t agree more...I posted this in another forum...then came to this thread and figured I would repost since it was posted in the Ranger specific forum and many don’t cross forums (and this issue is not Ranger specific). Hope kcinnick’s and my perspectives help keep a few from being taken advantage of...

here is the post...

The issue I have with these vendors hawking these wiring harnesses is that they are essentially excessively high priced wires, so it seems as if people are being duped to thinking they are buying something “special”. Until I see technical data/measurements showing me the benefit of these “harnesses” compared to well crimped marine wires you can buy for a fraction of the price, I think it is fair for people to be made aware of this.

I am in need of running some dedicated power to my livescope box and went to gregsmarinewiresupply.com to buy a custom cut and terminaled 8 gauge marine wire. Over 20 feet at 25% the cost of one of these harnesses and (I bet) no discernible difference in performance. It was so easy to do. (And no I don’t work for Greg’s Marine).

assuming people are not stupid I then assume people are buying due to the convenience ...that is a hell of a premium for convenience which makes me question my first assumption. To each their own....actually I just came up w a great business plan. Tell me the expected run length, what you are powering to ensure proper gauge, what terminal end size you need and I will set you up for 50% the cost of these special “harnesses”.

whats that saying? A fool and his money are soon parted...unless I am missing something...this couldn’t be truer in this instance.

Disclaimer...I am NOT an electrician. I AM an engineering graduate who remains scarred from having to take 400 level electrical engineering coursework as part of my degree. This means I have a working and theoretical understanding of circuits, op amps, diodes but no hands-on experience like you electricians which is far more useful imo.

I AM a discerning consumer who hates spending more than I need to and have a strong distaste for people trying to take advantage of others. Apologies if I seem a bit sore as I feel we as fishermen should be getting far more value for the money we are schilling out for our electronics....and this harness bit just takes the cake.
    Last edited by BoilermakerZ519; 01-03-2021 at 12:28 AM.

14. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Often times competition is a good thing to drive down cost in business. Congratulations on the launch of your new business plan. Although I am not in the market to buy one I would like to see one of your harnesses. Do you have a name for your business, website, Facebook or some other means of spreading the word of about your harness. What is the best medium for me to tell people to use contact you and what is your contact information. Is it alright if I tell people to just send you a private message here at BBC? On various other post I have mentioned Sonar Pros, Sea Clear, The Bass Tank and Jones Trolling Motor Service wire harness. With another option hitting the market it would be nice to see some of your work and possibly know some actual price quotes since your going to be around 50% less expensive than the competition. I am looking forward to seeing your product.

15. Member
    I just got my harness installed form Sonar Pros and am very impressed with it. Running a total of 4 graphs it save a ton of time during the riggin process and looks super clean. Well worth the money to me and I'll do it again when I buy next boat. I've rigged many boats many different ways. On my last boat I had a dedicated fuse block using 10 ga wiring for everything. I didn't have any voltage issues which was great, but also felt like I had wiring running everywhere. This harness cleans it up a lot and I'm OCD about having a simple/clean look in my boat haha.

16. Scraps
    I got one from BassFishin250Electronics. Wire, terminal block and all connectors needed. I was a little ticked when I opened up the bow to see the mickey mouse way they got power to the unit. With all the cable runs to the back I found it easier to push the cables through from the rod locker toward the bilge. I used the fiberglass electrical fishing sticks - not an electrician's fish tape! Didn't take long at all, 2-3 hours.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    Often times competition is a good thing to drive down cost in business. Congratulations on the launch of your new business plan. Although I am not in the market to buy one I would like to see one of your harnesses. Do you have a name for your business, website, Facebook or some other means of spreading the word of about your harness. What is the best medium for me to tell people to use contact you and what is your contact information. Is it alright if I tell people to just send you a private message here at BBC? On various other post I have mentioned Sonar Pros, Sea Clear, The Bass Tank and Jones Trolling Motor Service wire harness. With another option hitting the market it would be nice to see some of your work and possibly know some actual price quotes since your going to be around 50% less expensive than the competition. I am looking forward to seeing your product.
    Thanks for your kind request. My suggestion of a new business was made in jest in order to strengthen a point that you are handing over your hard earned money to something that can be done with very very little effort. To make the point even further, I provided an alternative website that provides a product at 25% of the products you are singing the merits of.

Again, I have a significant aversion to seeing people get taken advantage of. Gene, I sense that you are not lacking integrity and truly want to help others find a good solution. With so many people losing their main sources of income or at the very least receiving reduced amounts of their income due to the current conditions, making recommendations for products that do little beyond what can be done on their own for a fraction of the cost is really hard to accept....especially when the prices are exorbitantly high.

Economic stress aside...even more importantly electrical issues are seen by many as something that are difficult to understand and navigate. These harnesses and claims made in their videos exploit this weakness in people and prey on this. Gene I also think you have a working knowledge of electrical issues. I think and I hope you agree that a great help to others would be to share that knowledge by explaining how easy it is to get equal results with quality dedicated wire crimped the correct way...that’s it...also red to red and black to black. Make things simple for the readers. No ill will towards you. I certainly hope you consider this perspective.
    Last edited by BoilermakerZ519; 01-03-2021 at 11:06 AM.

18. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    I totally respect your opinion and find your suggestion on how someone can save some $ admirable. I fully understand my opinion may not fit into some peoples way of thinking. Heck I could easily change the oil in my vehicle, change the brakes on my car or I could have built my garage and done a ton of other things that I paid someone else to do. When it comes to spending money I don't fret over pinching pennies. Now buy no means am I rich or rolling in money but I am not at the point where I make my own laundry detergent to save money or hang clothes on a line to save money on my electricity bill. As long as its within reason and fits my budget I spend it. So if someone wants to be frugal good for them. Heck there is times when I am frugal in particular situations but the majority of the time I don't fret over cost as long as its within reason.

I try to porously put forth effort to not question how someone spends their $. I had someone tell me one time I was a fool for buying a GLoomis fishing rod. They even said they could catch fish with an Ugly Stick so there is no need for a $400 fishing rod. Normally that would not bother me but this particular occasion it did because the same person who said that had just bought an automatic Benelli shotgun to go duck hunting and paid $2000 for it. My reply back was I can kill a duck just as dead as you can with my $100 single shot 20 gauge as you can with that $2000 shotgun you just bought so what your point? Well my point is in this particular situation I can afford a $150 wire harness, it was convenient and the price was in line with most other competitors sell theirs for so that's the route I took. If someone chose a $50 route and it works just as well, then good for them because we are both happy. I don't fret over how they spend their money so why would they fret over how I spend my money. I understand you may think its being taking advantage of but if I knew there was an less expensive route and I chose the more expensive route is that really someone taking advantage of someone. It's my time and my money and I can afford it so I chose what makes me happy but I commend you for doing what makes you happy and sharing your suggestion.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    I totally respect your opinion and find your suggestion on how someone can save some $ admirable. I fully understand my opinion may not fit into some peoples way of thinking. Heck I could easily change the oil in my vehicle, change the brakes on my car or I could have built my garage and done a ton of other things that I paid someone else to do. When it comes to spending money I don't fret over pinching pennies. Now buy no means am I rich or rolling in money but I am not at the point where I make my own laundry detergent to save money or hang clothes on a line to save money on my electricity bill. As long as its within reason and fits my budget I spend it. So if someone wants to be frugal good for them. Heck there is times when I am frugal in particular situations but the majority of the time I don't fret over cost as long as its within reason.

I try to porously put forth effort to not question how someone spends their $. I had someone tell me one time I was a fool for buying a GLoomis fishing rod. They even said they could catch fish with an Ugly Stick so there is no need for a $400 fishing rod. Normally that would not bother me but this particular occasion it did because the same person who said that had just bought an automatic Benelli shotgun to go duck hunting and paid $2000 for it. My reply back was I can kill a duck just as dead as you can with my $100 single shot 20 gauge as you can with that $2000 shotgun you just bought so what your point? Well my point is in this particular situation I can afford a $150 wire harness, it was convenient and the price was in line with most other competitors sell theirs for so that's the route I took. If someone chose a $50 route and it works just as well, then good for them because we are both happy. I don't fret over how they spend their money so why would they fret over how I spend my money. I understand you may think its being taking advantage of but if I knew there was an less expensive route and I chose the more expensive route is that really someone taking advantage of someone. It's my time and my money and I can afford it so I chose what makes me happy but I commend you for doing what makes you happy and sharing your suggestion.
    Gene, a well written response thank you. And thank you for not taking offense as this could have gone sideways with bad feelings on both sides. I do get and appreciate your point...and BTW I participate in this kind of thinking as well.

I believe that the situation you suggest is absolutely fine in situations where people are well equipped to make that choice. In this case, a large portion of the audience is ill educated on all things electrical. They are looking to people like us (and trusting...fortunately or unfortunately) who do have some experience to help them. I think (again rightly or wrongly) that people deserve to be educated to make the choice that is right for them.

That being said I do realize that there is a part of the market that knows they are electrically illiterate, dont want to be educated, and just wants to get something that works...if so, have at it.

Thanks again for the response. I hope our open discussion is helpful to readers looking for a solution to their electrical issues. These "premium" harnesses...do they work? As long as they are properly gauged and properly crimped...yes. Does regular marine wire work? As long as they are properly gauged and properly crimped...Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by BoilermakerZ519 View Post
    i couldn’t agree more...I posted this in another forum...then came to this thread and figured I would repost since it was posted in the Ranger specific forum and many don’t cross forums (and this issue is not Ranger specific). Hope kcinnick’s and my perspectives help keep a few from being taken advantage of...

here is the post...

The issue I have with these vendors hawking these wiring harnesses is that they are essentially excessively high priced wires, so it seems as if people are being duped to thinking they are buying something “special”. Until I see technical data/measurements showing me the benefit of these “harnesses” compared to well crimped marine wires you can buy for a fraction of the price, I think it is fair for people to be made aware of this.

I am in need of running some dedicated power to my livescope box and went to gregsmarinewiresupply.com to buy a custom cut and terminaled 8 gauge marine wire. Over 20 feet at 25% the cost of one of these harnesses and (I bet) no discernible difference in performance. It was so easy to do. (And no I don’t work for Greg’s Marine).

assuming people are not stupid I then assume people are buying due to the convenience ...that is a hell of a premium for convenience which makes me question my first assumption. To each their own....actually I just came up w a great business plan. Tell me the expected run length, what you are powering to ensure proper gauge, what terminal end size you need and I will set you up for 50% the cost of these special “harnesses”.

whats that saying? A fool and his money are soon parted...unless I am missing something...this couldn’t be truer in this instance.

Disclaimer...I am NOT an electrician. I AM an engineering graduate who remains scarred from having to take 400 level electrical engineering coursework as part of my degree. This means I have a working and theoretical understanding of circuits, op amps, diodes but no hands-on experience like you electricians which is far more useful imo.

I AM a discerning consumer who hates spending more than I need to and have a strong distaste for people trying to take advantage of others. Apologies if I seem a bit sore as I feel we as fishermen should be getting far more value for the money we are schilling out for our electronics....and this harness bit just takes the cake.
    Will try to tactfully add my opinion here, sometimes I struggle with that. I am an electrician! Upgrading the wiring in a boat is dependent on the level of training/expertise of the owner/installer/service tech. If none of the aforementioned individuals have the professional training to construct or modify boat wiring, leave it alone. Each crimp connection is like your leader to line connection-do you trust it. If improperly tied, failure. There are many varieties of heat shrink tubing, most are inadequate for a marine harness. If you don't know the difference-leave it alone. There are many different varieties of crimp connectors, if you don't understand the difference, leave it alone. There are different ways to crimp a connector, if you don't know the correct way, leave it alone. There are many different tools available to make a crimp connection. If you don't have the correct tools, leave it alone. If you don't understand the difference between THHN, MTW, Automotive and Marine wire, leave it alone. If you fall in any of the "Leave It Alone" categories mentioned, you might think about purchasing a custom wiring harness. If you wish to go to Home Depot and buy cheap wire, automotive crimp connectors and crimp them with your multi purpose stripper crimp tool you purchased at Wal Mart I wish you good luck.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast