Lew's NEW KVD Baitcast Reel ?

Thinking I might get this Reel from Lew's . It's a New release reel. Priced at $139.99 I'm just curious if anyone has tried this reel and what they think?

2. Banned
    Not much different than the Tournament MP or MB reels. If you have used a Doyo made reel with dual braking system, you have used this reel.

3. Member
    Hadn't thought that but sounds to be right. Glad I posted here I almost bought this reel but thinking getting it after Christmas with gift cards. Not know.

4. Member
    I got one and absolutely love it. I paired it with the Lew's KVD jerkbait rod and it casts like a dream. I think it is a very nice setup for $240.
    2021 Vexus AVX 1880 Summit White
    115 Mercury ProXS
    Ultrex
    Twin HBirds
    Garmin 93
    Garmin Livescope

5. Member
    Just curious, but why aren’t you interested in the reel now that you know is a rebadged Tournament MP? Imo those are the best reels Lews makes. Found a sweet spot balancing function with affordability. I used to be a Lews fan but I tend to look elsewhere now, even other Doyo reel brands now.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

6. Member
    I thought it was the $99 speed spool with a new paint job and put KVD on it and raised the price.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I thought it was the $99 speed spool with a new paint job and put KVD on it and raised the price.
    That Speed Spool just has the magnetic brakes, and lesser quality drag discs.

Quote Originally Posted by LgMouthGambler View Post
    Not much different than the Tournament MP or MB reels. If you have used a Doyo made reel with dual braking system, you have used this reel.
    The only difference I see is the MB/MP has the Lew’s paddle grips and the KVD model has EVA paddle grips

9. Member
    I got one and like it. When I first took it out of the box and played with it, the reel sounded dry and the spool did not roll as freely as I expected. I pulled the spool out and added a very tiny drop of ZPI oil to the spool ends and to the bearing on the side cover. Put it all back and the spool was flying. In the field, it's very smooth. Spool rolls almost too well now! Fits well in the hand too and I like the longer handle compared to my previous Quantum KVD reel I had on there. I use an old 7' Fenwick Golden Wing as my jig rod, and the blank is the same color of these reels. The Quantum is lighter in color than the Lew's, but both pretty much match the rod. The Quantum is 6.1 speed, and right around the time the Lew's version was announced last summer, I was thinking about upgrading to a 7 ratio. So, I waited until the Lew's KVD was out to get one and continue having a matching color reel on that rod, which I think is sort of cool.
    Alex Darsen - 2013 Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS
    Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
    It's more serious than that!