Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lithium batteries

I have never ran them. I fish mainly every other weekend. But my question is do these really hold up more long term than standard batteries? For instance let’s just say a pro didn’t sell their boat every year. How long would they keep them on their boat or what is their lifespan. In general of course. I know usage and charge habits have a lot to do with it. Mainly what’s best on a budget. I know what I can afford but I don’t want to have to afford batteries every year. Thanks y’all!

2. Member
    I've got over 5 years on my RELiONS so far and the only issue was self done, left the power switch on and drained the cranking battery. Granted I don't get out as often as I want to so the charge cycles are lower than I'd like them to be but when I upgrade to my next boat they are coming with me.

3. TJNYSNP
    The ****ed up part is god forbid you need to use your warranty, u can't just run over to AutoExpress or Walmart and get another 12V batter to get you through your trip,

Stay with 12V batteries if you buy anything.. don't get the 24V or 36V batteries.. so you can put a 12V lead in if you had to to get through a bad situation

they are not cheap and they are 'micro brew' support teams..... i run MillerTechs and love them but the support is the cell phone of one guy.... feels cool but it aint something he can help you with other than package that battery and ship it to him...

4. Member

5. BBC SPONSOR
    Tomball, Etoile, Milam TX -SAM RAYBURN & TOLEDO BEND
    Just recently ordered some IONIC lithiums from Drewcraft. He’s a sponsor on BBC. BEST PRICE AROUND! I agree with above post, stick with 12v. I also took advice from a different thread and got me a Duracell AGM from Sam’s for a new starting battery
    www.MulletRanchDecals.com
    Welcome to the Mullet Ranch...business in the front, party in the back!

6. Member
    Evansville, Indiana and Eddyville, Kentucky
    I have been running my Lithiums for over 8 years. Have had a couple of issues only.

I highly recommend 12v set up.

If you have a lithium 12v go bad, you can use a normal 12v until your lithium is fixed/replaced.

I have done this, it usually takes a while to get a replacement lithium,
    that is why I recommend 12v setup.

Quote Originally Posted by CampKeystone View Post
    Just recently ordered some IONIC lithiums from Drewcraft. He’s a sponsor on BBC. BEST PRICE AROUND! I agree with above post, stick with 12v. I also took advice from a different thread and got me a Duracell AGM from Sam’s for a new starting battery
    Did the exact same thing.. about 20 hours fishing on trolling batteries and they were still at 35% . Most of that was in the wind .

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CampKeystone View Post
    Yes Andy at Drewcraft is good, he will hook you up. I too recommend the 12v set up. Because should one go at, then you can go to wally world and get another 12v battery and replace it until you resolve the issue. Just remember to change the charging pattern for that battery.

https://drewcraft.com/ionic_lithium_batteries/
    2020 BassChamps Central Lake Belton 1st - Feb 2
    2019 Media Bass Individual Champion - Richland Chambers Sep 7-8
    2019 CAST Champions - Sam Rayburn Oct 19-20
    2011 BassChamps East Region Champions-Sam Rayburn Oct 1-2

2020 Bullet 21XRS 2020 Mercury 250 ProXS 4 Stroke
    Texas Realtor
    Helping Texans buy and Sell their Homes

9. BBC SPONSOR
    I've been running mine since 2017. I've had great luck with mine. I did have one issue with one battery. Called them up, sent it in and they sent me a new one. Pretty easy.

10. Member
    what about charging the lithium with on board chargers that come in most boats? do you have to change that out?

11. Member
    I did on mine. The charge profile on the onboard charger would not charge lithium batteries properly.
    GETFISHED !!!

12. Member
    So...basically everyone that has them, and responded, has had some kind of issue? We’re these bad batteries? Quality control issues? Operator errors?

let me know what to expect, as I’m almost ready to pull the trigger.

I had Relions and they were flawless for me for 2 years. In 2018, I sold the boat to a friend and he is still running them with no issues...so 4 years and 0 issues. hunter689 is a rep and sponsor here.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

14. Member
    Thank you all so much for the exact honesty! This is very helpful.

I have been running Ionic Lithium batteries (100ah trolling & 125ah starting) with the Ionic 4 bank charger since summer. I haven’t had a single issue with mine. The weight savings is nice, but the ability to fish multiple days without charge is great!
    2021 Skeeter Zx225
    2021 Yamaha 225 SHO
    Ultrex 112# w/ Ipilot
    Helix 12 Mega+SI
    Helix 9 Mega+ SI
    Helix 9 Mega+ DI
    Helix 9 Chirp/GPS
    Garmin 1222 w/ LSV32
    Ionic Lithium

16. Member
    I've ran my lithiums for 3 years now I think. Not a single problem yet (knock on wood). I'm running 2x12v, but if I upgrade in the future, I'll probably get a single 24v, simply because space is at a premium in my boat, unless I get a new boat.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

17. Member
    I put 2 x 100A Battleborns in my boat at the end of 2017, never had a problem. Sold the boat this spring and guy who bought it loves them. Bought my dad a 50A Battleborn for his Coleman Crawdad also in 2017, he runs the piss out of it with a 12V 55lb Minn Kota. Put 3 x 50A Ionics in my current boat, haven't had a problem. I really like the bluetooth feature with the Ionics.

I have a regular group 31 for the big motor

Cons - initial cost, charger (I sent in my Dual Pros and had them configured for $40/bank, not sure if it's the same price now)
    Pros - I haven't been able to kill them, charge faster, better holeshot, the 50As are way smaller than a regular 12V so more space, hopefully length of service, bluetooth app

18. Member
    Plenty of guys around here with regions going on 10 years. Not a single issue.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by basstron11 View Post
    I have never ran them. I fish mainly every other weekend. But my question is do these really hold up more long term than standard batteries? For instance let’s just say a pro didn’t sell their boat every year. How long would they keep them on their boat or what is their lifespan. In general of course. I know usage and charge habits have a lot to do with it. Mainly what’s best on a budget. I know what I can afford but I don’t want to have to afford batteries every year. Thanks y’all!
    for the amount of time you fish I wouldn't spend the money. I went with millertech 65ah for my 24v set up and couldn't be happier. But I don't fish 2-4 times a month, I'm 2-4 times a week during the peak closer to 4 times a week. I'd save the money and just get a quality lead acid battery. Two 50ah lithiums will give you same performance as 31 size lead acid, excluding the other benefits so is it worth the cost...? Only you can decide.

20. Member
    I have been running two Relion RB 100's for the ultrex and a Relion RB100HP house battery for 3 years with zero issues
    2014 Xpress X-19 Pro Yammy VMAX 175 HDPI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast