Ranger dual axle trailing arm and post slipped and ground teeth

I have a 2016 Ranger Z519 with a dual axle trailer and noticed that the insides of my rear tires wear really fast. Kept rotating tires and checking the bolt on the trailing arm to make sure its tight but this weekend the trailing arm that holds the hub to the axle slipped and the fender came down on the rear tire and damn near melted it. Looks like the teeth in the trailing arm clamp as well as the teeth on the post that it clamps to are worn or bent slightly. I'm aware I can probably order an axle from the factory and new trailing arms but I'm wondering if there are better options if the trailer is out of warranty. Can't believe a 5 year old trailer would have such a catastrophic episode without some kind of accident involved or something.

2. Member
    Hmm. Anybody else have this issue? Seems a dual axle should not be overloaded. Could be manufacturing defect in tightening something properly.

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    It’s a problem with the torque on the bolt that attaches the trailing arm to the spline shaft on the axle. Not uncommon. The bolt is supposed to be tightened to 150ft-lbs. Ranger in particular seems to have an issue with them coming loose. Possibly an assembly problem.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    Yea it melted/smoked my tire. Pretty pissed that this would happen on a trailer 5 years old.

5. Member
    Call Ranger and complain. Better yet do it in writing.

6. Member
    A friend with a 2016 Ranger had the same problem with extreme tire wear and found his two axles were bent. Posted earlier that he told me it was a $900+ repair but it also included one brake caliber. But you are posting you are having trouble with the trailing arm that holds the hub. I dont know if you can just replace it or if the whole axle needs replaced. My friend replaced both axles.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBelter View Post
    I have a 2016 Ranger Z519 with a dual axle trailer and noticed that the insides of my rear tires wear really fast. Kept rotating tires and checking the bolt on the trailing arm to make sure its tight but this weekend the trailing arm that holds the hub to the axle slipped and the fender came down on the rear tire and damn near melted it. Looks like the teeth in the trailing arm clamp as well as the teeth on the post that it clamps to are worn or bent slightly. I'm aware I can probably order an axle from the factory and new trailing arms but I'm wondering if there are better options if the trailer is out of warranty. Can't believe a 5 year old trailer would have such a catastrophic episode without some kind of accident involved or something.

7. Member
    What catfan said I found mine loose and fought it for 2 years till I some help and figured it out

Catfan is correct. Mine loosened up to the point the trailing arm could’ve been wiggled off by hand. They need to be tightened annually